PDA

View Full Version : Collections?

KingCondanomation
01-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Just curious if anyone here collects anything and what they got?

I have collections but nothing I've bothered to add to in years, just holdovers from when I was a kid. Including:
- coin collection
- stamp collection
- shell collection
- rocks collection
- comic collection (mostly Iron Man, Hulk and Marvel comics from the 60's (and no I am not that old, just bought retro comics in the 80's) )

Dixie - In Memoriam
01-05-2009, 01:53 AM
This will get a few smarmy remarks from liberal elites, but I have a unique collection of NASCAR photographs. Back in the 80's and 90's, I covered the races at Atlanta and Talledega, complete with garage, pit road, and victory lane passes, and I would take candids of the drivers, the next race, I would get them to sign the pictures for me. So, I have a nice collection of 'one-of-a-kind' 8x10 glossies, signed by the subject. I've been offered all kinds of money for some of them, but they are priceless to me.

Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki, Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Harry Gant, Jeff Gordon, Dale Jarrett, Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, Smokey Yunick, Bill France, Robert Yates, Richard Childress, the Wood Brothers, Daryl Waltrip, Kyle Petty, Sterling Marlin, Ernie Irvan, and a few more I can't remember at the moment.

Cancel3
01-05-2009, 04:08 AM
I have a coin collection that was started by my father and I have continued. Some very nice pieces from the 1800's in it.

I also collect gun cartridges. (I am trying to collect guns but the damn things are too expensive to get a decent volume)

I collect Crimson Tide stuff. I have somenice things that date back to the Bear Bryant/Shug Jordan rivalry days. And quite a few autographs.

My wife collect purses. She has better than 50 of the things.

I collect dust.

I started a collection of kids, but that got too expensive.

KingCondanomation
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I have a coin collection that was started by my father and I have continued. Some very nice pieces from the 1800's in it.

I also collect gun cartridges. (I am trying to collect guns but the damn things are too expensive to get a decent volume)

I collect Crimson Tide stuff. I have somenice things that date back to the Bear Bryant/Shug Jordan rivalry days. And quite a few autographs.

I collect dust.

Cool, I have to confess my ignorance as Crimson Tide sounds familiar but can't quite remember what is it or those 2 guys you mentioned.
I have an English penny from 1809 and a coin from there in the 1700's, can't remember the year. I have some relatives in England still so a lot of my collection came from there.

KingCondanomation
01-05-2009, 06:26 AM
This will get a few smarmy remarks from liberal elites, but I have a unique collection of NASCAR photographs. Back in the 80's and 90's, I covered the races at Atlanta and Talledega, complete with garage, pit road, and victory lane passes, and I would take candids of the drivers, the next race, I would get them to sign the pictures for me. So, I have a nice collection of 'one-of-a-kind' 8x10 glossies, signed by the subject. I've been offered all kinds of money for some of them, but they are priceless to me.

Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki, Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Harry Gant, Jeff Gordon, Dale Jarrett, Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, Smokey Yunick, Bill France, Robert Yates, Richard Childress, the Wood Brothers, Daryl Waltrip, Kyle Petty, Sterling Marlin, Ernie Irvan, and a few more I can't remember at the moment.
Do you still add to it or it's basically just from the 80's and 90's?

Cancel3
01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Cool, I have to confess my ignorance as Crimson Tide sounds familiar but can't quite remember what is it or those 2 guys you mentioned.
I have an English penny from 1809 and a coin from there in the 1700's, can't remember the year. I have some relatives in England still so a lot of my collection came from there.

The Crimson Tide is the nickname of the University of Alabama Football team (actually used by all the athletic teams).

Bear Bryant was our head football coach from 1958 until his retirement at the end of the season in 1982. He coached the UA to 6 National Championships and 13 SEC Championships in his 25 years there. When he retired he was the winningest coach in NCAA football.

Shug Jordan was the long time coach at auburn, which is our greatest rival.

Cancel3
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Sounds like you have some excellent coins. The big thing is NOT to clean them. And keep them tucked away.

Knowing what they are worth is always fun. But the coins I have will never be sold.

SmarterthanYou
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Dixie, I used to do the NASCAR collectibles as well, the 1/24th size model cars. That was alot of fun and I miss that collection.

I am starting to collect guns now while the wife is intent on collecting all things rattie, as in pet rats. rat stamps, rat ornaments, rat figurines, etc.

Epicurus
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I mostly collect severed heads.

In my freezer.

Damocles
01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Money. I collect money. The goal is to have whole heaping piles of it with which I can purchase stuff. Then I will start collecting stuff.

Annie
01-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Books. Not conscious collection, more like obsessive buying and inability to let them go. Lots of first editions, problem is though, it is getting like the cat women, but with books! :eek:

Thorn
01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Books. Not conscious collection, more like obsessive buying and inability to let them go. Lots of first editions, problem is though, it is getting like the cat women, but with books! :eek:

I can relate. Mine are all triple-shelved as it is, and I even sent a whole pile to Iraq when a faculty member was serving there. Time for new bookshelves.

Damocles
01-10-2009, 01:32 PM
People will have to think I'm nuts. My entire basement, about 1200 sq ft is covered with shelving and double or triple stacked with my books. And I have no shame about it.

Annie
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I can relate. Mine are all triple-shelved as it is, and I even sent a whole pile to Iraq when a faculty member was serving there. Time for new bookshelves.

I sent really 30 boxes to library for children. Those were those I thought I could part with that my (unborn) grandchildren didn't 'need.' I've more than that for them. I don't have the room for all the books, basement, closets, 3-4 deep. I'm going to have to cull, I've tried. About ready to hire someone. Fire hazard, while I may be like cat ladies, I do have my marbles, I think.

Cancel1
01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
no collections

evince
01-11-2009, 03:12 PM

I collect beautiful classics. I have shelves full of old and new leather bound classics. I started by collecting them when I found them at junk stores. At one point I signed up for the franklin mint collection. I did it when they were 12 bucks a book. I now have that whole collection plus all the things I have found at junk stores. Beautifully bound The harvard Classics collections, World Book dictionarys and such all from junk stores. I hope some day to read them all. I havent been able to do it yet.

Old furniture

Bauer pitchers, pots and bowls

I still do the furniture but on a much smaller scale (not enough room left).

I havent found a Bauer thing in years. They were all snapped up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANKLIN-LIBRARY-Complete-Set-100-GREATEST-BOOKS-oop_W0QQitemZ300284915597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqu arian_Collectible?hash=item300284915597&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Wholey shit did I do well , I never looked at it on line before. They are going to my son though and I will never sell them.

Battleborne
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM

I have collections but nothing I've bothered to add to in years, just holdovers from when I was a kid. Including:
- coin collection
- stamp collection
- shell collection
- rocks collection
- comic collection (mostly Iron Man, Hulk and Marvel comics from the 60's (and no I am not that old, just bought retro comics in the 80's) )

Well,I have the last of my antique collection of OB boat engines...just two left...a 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 hp and a 'Clinton Chief' 1960 air cooled 5 hp canoe engine wanna buy...going real cheap...they are taking up space in my bedroom...and I do have a couple of 1800's paper items stocks,checks etc and just a couple of 1940's ,mint stamp covers military WWII...

KingCondanomation
01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Well,I have the last of my antique collection of OB boat engines...just two left...a 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 5 1/2 hp and a 'Clinton Chief' 1960 air cooled 5 hp canoe engine wanna buy...going real cheap...they are taking up space in my bedroom...and I do have a couple of 1800's paper items stocks,checks etc and just a couple of 1940's ,mint stamp covers military WWII...

Seriously, you keep engines in your bedroom? Something wrong with the garage?

Epicurus
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Seriously, you keep engines in your bedroom? Something wrong with the garage?

Well what's the difference to him? No one but him will ever see the inside of either of room.

SmarterthanYou
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Well what's the difference to him? No one but him will ever see the inside of either of room.

well, that and his mother.

BRUTALITOPS
01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I collect hot chicks

KingCondanomation
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I collect hot chicks
LOL, how many in your collection then?

Grind man, check this out, were any competing in here:
Big Boob Olympics Video@@AMEPARAM@@file=http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2007/03/big-boob-olympics.flv&mediaid=16671&title=Big Boob Olympics&tags=&description=Leave it to Japan to bring us the big boob Olympics.&displayheight=325&backcolor=0x0d0d0d&lig htoclor=0x336699&frontcolor=0xcccccc&image=http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2007/03/big@@AMEPARAM@@2007/03/big-boob-olympics@@AMEPARAM@@16671@@AMEPARAM@@Big Boob Olympics@@AMEPARAM@@@@AMEPARAM@@Leave it to Japan to bring us the big boob Olympics.@@AMEPARAM@@2007/03/big

BRUTALITOPS
01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
gross

Chapdog
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
i have some crap. coins, cards, small hand held video games from the 80's. Im not much of a pack rat.

I sold about 5k in topps cards when i was poor in college but i still have some some of value.

Minister of Truth
01-24-2009, 02:53 PM

In my freezer.

:lmao:

I haven't added to any of my collections in years, but I still have my pogs, Star Wars cards, and Star Wars ships. I also have an old collection of baseball cards, and some relative gave me a sack of hockey cards once. The only thing I don't have are the Pokemon cards I collected in middle school.

Damocles
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
:lmao:

I haven't added to any of my collections in years, but I still have my pogs, Star Wars cards, and Star Wars ships. I also have an old collection of baseball cards, and some relative gave me a sack of hockey cards once. The only thing I don't have are the Pokemon cards I collected in middle school.
Pogs? Wow, you are young.

Minister of Truth
01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Pogs? Wow, you are young.

The first great 90's fad that I participated in. :cool:

Other greats included Tomacotchi's (I had a Giga Pet), Star Wars Cards (Magic Cards were also at their pinnacle at the same time, although I didn;t collect any), and we closed out the decade with Surge, which Coke pulled from the US market in 2001 (fuckers!).

Said1
01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
well, that and his mother.

and 'brother'.

I used to collect matches when I was a kid. Then I started smoking. :(

Norman Paperman
01-24-2009, 08:26 PM

I only keep my autographed first editions, with a couple of exceptions.

I collect Zippo lighters, old and new.

BRUTALITOPS
01-25-2009, 12:34 PM
what's a good zippo lighter i wanna buy one.

Minister of Truth
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Sounds like a racist weapon used on Koreans or something...

Norman Paperman
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM

I have never bought a bad Zippo. They have all been reliable as long as I kept them fueled.

Epicurus
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM

lolz

BRUTALITOPS
01-27-2009, 06:16 PM
lolz

what's so funny they have different price points.

Also that blu thing is pretty sick

I just bought the standard 20 dollar one today for shits and giggles

Cancel3
01-30-2009, 05:35 AM
A zippo is more reliable than any disposable lighter.

I had one I used for years. I was given another as a gift.

And flints & fuel are cheap.

TRGLDTE
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Antique furniture

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM

- coin collection
- stamp collection
- shell collection
- rocks collection

1st Edition Books

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM

I collect dust.

You are wonderful!

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Oh, my gosh! Have I met my internet twin?!!!!!!!!!

Books everywhere, it drives my daughter crazy. The valuable ones I keep in a cabinet, but the others are on shelves and tables and everywhere! I also have two cats! eeeeek

My daughter came to visit and was helping me "arrange" them! She is a minimalist, probably because of me!

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
1st Edition Books\

I also collect friends! Forgot that one. I love people!

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:52 AM

My best friend is a NASCAR enthusiast, nothing wrong with that, it just isn't my cup of tea, too noisy!

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:53 AM

In my freezer.

ahahahah, remind me not to collect you as a friend, in that case! :)

Cancel5
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM

I did too, to my friend who was a troop leader and requested books and cigars for his men! Way to go Thorn!

Cancel3
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
You are wonderful!

Ahhh beautiful lady, you just don't know me well enough. lol

:clink:

Annie
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Oh, my gosh! Have I met my internet twin?!!!!!!!!!

Books everywhere, it drives my daughter crazy. The valuable ones I keep in a cabinet, but the others are on shelves and tables and everywhere! I also have two cats! eeeeek

My daughter came to visit and was helping me "arrange" them! She is a minimalist, probably because of me!

Oh mine is a serious addiction. There are textbooks, no small matter, 3 BA and a MS, (not to mention I still have some HS and grammar school books I keep). Then there are the books I have 'preview rights' to regarding social studies, language arts and reading-including all the 'supplementals.' I keep them all.

Then there is my regular buying habits: history, mysteries, philosophy, and theology.

Oh yeah, there is my tendency to buy first editions of swift sellers in any of the above topics, as well as good fiction writers.

Problem storage wise, the above has been the norm for over 35 years!

ManU1959
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
soccer jerseys.....

and i have ever album i have ever bought, rubber soul was the first, and am still adding......

Norman Paperman
01-30-2009, 09:21 PM
soccer jerseys.....

and i have ever album i have ever bought, rubber soul was the first, and am still adding......

Hard to find vinyl these days, unless you know where to look.

ManU1959
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Hard to find vinyl these days, unless you know where to look.

music direct......they are repressing albums...some bands ....are puting out vinyl only releases....

Cancel3
01-31-2009, 07:23 PM
soccer jerseys.....

The album cover is a lost art form. Such a shame too.

Norman Paperman
01-31-2009, 07:26 PM
The album cover is a lost art form. Such a shame too.

Remember Whipped Cream and Other Delights?

Cancel3
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Remember Whipped Cream and Other Delights?

Uriah Heep had better album covers than they had music.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer had some awesome covers.

Thorn
01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Emerson, Lake & Palmer had some awesome covers.

So did Pink Floyd.