PDA

View Full Version : When truth is not the thing to say...

uscitizen
10-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Diplomat Says He 'Misspoke' On Iraq

WASHINGTON, Oct. 23, 2006
(AP / CBS)

"I think there is much room for criticism because, undoubtedly, there was arrogance and there was stupidity from the United States in Iraq."
Alberto Fernandez
U.S. State Deptartment

(CBS/AP) A senior U.S. diplomat has apologized for saying U.S. policy in Iraq displayed "arrogance" and "stupidity."

A day after his remarks in an interview were broadcast by the pan-Arab satellite channel Al-Jazeera, Alberto Fernandez issued a written apology Sunday through the State Department press office.

"Upon reading the transcript of my appearance on Al-Jazeera, I realized that I seriously misspoke by using the phrase 'there has been arrogance and stupidity' by the U.S. in Iraq," said Fernandez, director of public diplomacy in State's Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs.

"This represents neither my views nor those of the State Department," Fernandez added. "I apologize."
Link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/23/iraq/main2113418.shtml

I guess he got stomped on pretty hard...

AnyOldIron
10-23-2006, 07:51 AM
The diplomat isn't wrong....

He shouldn't have apologised.

uscitizen
10-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I agree Any, one should never apologize when they are right.
Of course there are the situations with women aka Wives......

maineman
10-23-2006, 08:26 AM
The diplomat isn't wrong....

He shouldn't have apologised.

that presumes that the diplomat's job was to speak the truth in the first place. He is not paid to speak the truth and when he decides to speak something other than the party line he is paid to parrot, then he OUGHT to apologize... or resign his position so that he can speak the truth unencumbered by his professional allegiances.

AnyOldIron
10-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Of course there are the situations with women aka Wives......

Ha! Ha! Ain't that the truth.....

uscitizen
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Do I look fat in this dress ? .............

You better lie like a dog :)