PDA

View Full Version : A Question For Anyold

toby
07-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Or anyone else who wants to reply. But Any this is your sig>>>

It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so"
Ernestine Rose

Did you think about this statement or did it just sound good to you? Think about if for just a minute. If the statement was true, then there would be no religions would there? If all children are born atheists how is it that there are religions?

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Or anyone else who wants to reply. But Any this is your sig>>>

It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so"
Ernestine Rose

Did you think about this statement or did it just sound good to you? Think about if for just a minute. If the statement was true, then there would be no religions would there? If all children are born atheists how is it that there are religions?
Because human children are not fully formed when born there is no contradiction. We are indoctrinated into our religious beliefs as we grow up. I'd really say "aculturated" most often but I'm on Any's side this time and don't feel like being polite. ;)

Where did the religious beliefs originate? Now that's a good question. Human beings are uncomfortable with unsolved mysteries: we generally want to know the why and how of every process we see. When we don't have good information, we tend to speculate . . . or make things up, if you prefer.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-29-2006, 09:50 AM
And after a while superstitions turn into religions, and they believe in gods. The most powerful of all beliefs, of course, has been a dedicated, slavish belief in one God who is all good, and one devil who is all evil... almost all major world religions now follow this pattern.

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 10:04 AM
And after a while superstitions turn into religions, and they believe in gods. The most powerful of all beliefs, of course, has been a dedicated, slavish belief in one God who is all good, and one devil who is all evil... almost all major world religions now follow this pattern.
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree that almost all major religions follow this pattern.

Certainly the three great monotheistic religions -- Judaism, Christianity and Islam -- do, but even all three together do not make up a majority of religious believers in the world. Also, I think that many individuals within the traditions have more sophisticated ideas of deity than that simple dichotomy. Especially within the Judaic tradition.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Hinduism is monotheistic, Zoastranism is monotheisic. The only major religion I know of that isn't monotheistic is bhuddism, and I'm not really even sure what they believe, to be honest (something to do with Bhudda, of course, but I've heard some say he is a God and some say he isn't, and a godless religion? How is that possible?)

toby
07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
The point is if all are born athiest, where did religion or whatever come from? Sould not be any religion if all are born athiest.

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Hinduism is monotheistic, Zoastranism is monotheisic. The only major religion I know of that isn't monotheistic is bhuddism, and I'm not really even sure what they believe, to be honest (something to do with Bhudda, of course, but I've heard some say he is a God and some say he isn't, and a godless religion? How is that possible?)
Que? Hinduism is monotheistic? Did I just slip through a wormhole into another universe or something?

:p

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 11:31 AM
The point is if all are born athiest, where did religion or whatever come from? Sould not be any religion if all are born athiest.
Because a high-status someone, somewhere, sometime made up a story to "explain" things he or she couldn't otherwise. That story gets picked up by tradition and enforced as "truth" since anything else would imply falibility among the elite.

Religion is a tool of power. It helps to impose order and solidify the position of the rulers by allaying fear and providing post hoc justifications for social stratification.

It's porbably not possible to figure out where any one particular modern religion truly arose. They all partake of traditions far too old for that.

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM

What on Earth makes you think that? :D

No knowledge is innate. Your parents (presuming you had parents) probably knew how to drive before you were born but you have to learn again.

Religions are taught. They are taught through priests by parents, family and community.

If knowledge isn't learnt, by logical extension then algebra, and mechanics knowledge must be innate...

Why do you think we have schools?

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 11:50 AM

What on Earth makes you think that? :D

No knowledge is innate. Your parents (presuming you had parents) probably knew how to drive before you were born but you have to learn again.

Religions are taught. They are taught through priests by parents, family and community.

If knowledge isn't learnt, by logical extension then algebra, and mechanics knowledge must be innate...

Why do you think we have schools?
Oh, nicely done! :o