PDA

View Full Version : Global warming's effect on hurricane strength disputed in new report

MasterChief
07-28-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-0729globalwarming,0,3801546.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Global warming's effect on hurricane strength disputed in new report

The Associated Press
Posted July 28 2006, 4:09 PM EDT

MIAMI -- Scientists linking the increased strength of hurricanes over recent years to global warming have not accounted for outdated technology that may have underestimated storms' power decades ago, researchers said in a report published Friday.

The research by Chris Landsea of the National Hurricane Center challenges two studies published last year by other respected climatologists.

One of the studies, by Kerry Emanuel of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was considered the first major research to challenge the belief that global warming's affect on hurricanes was too slight to accurately measure and that climate change likely won't substantially change tropical storms for decades.

And, if Landsea and his three co-authors are correct, it was fundamentally flawed.

``The methodology is fine. There's no problem with the way they analyzed the data,'' said Landsea, who is science and operations officer at the hurricane center. ``The problem is with the data itself.''

The study claims historical storm data has been rendered out-of-date by new technology that better estimates the strength of hurricanes. He pointed to advancements in the quality of satellite imagery that is used to estimate a storm's strength when it can't be directly measured by aircraft or on land.

In short, Landsea said, there were far more Category 4 and 5 storms in decades past than previously thought, because satellite imagery has improved so greatly.

The article was published in the journal Science. It is co-authored by Bruce Harper, an Australian engineer who is an expert on Pacific cyclones; Karl Hoarau, a professor at Cergy-Pontoise University in France; and John Knaff, a researcher at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It looks at only a small sampling of historical storm data, though the authors plan to examine further hurricane information they believe will further prove their thesis.

Emanuel discounted the Science piece and said he put considerable effort into accounting for changes in estimating storm strength.

``They ignore the most significant finding from my Nature paper _ that Atlantic hurricane activity is highly correlated with sea surface temperature, which is comparatively well-measured,'' Emanuel said by e-mail from the Queen Mary 2, where he is lecturing on storms. ``This cannot be explained away by invoking rather qualitative arguments about data quality.''

Emanuel analyzed records of storm measurements made by aircraft and satellites since the 1950s. He found the amount of energy released in these storms in both the North Atlantic and the North Pacific oceans increased, especially since the mid-1970s.

His study was published last year, along with another Science piece that linked a double in Category 4 and 5 hurricanes since 1970 to the rise of ocean surface temperatures.

Landsea said he did not dispute global warming was occurring or that it could influence hurricanes; he said it simply was not proven by the storm information available.

The studies did not address fluctuation in the number of hurricanes, only in their intensity. But researchers agree that the Atlantic basin is in a period of higher hurricane activity that could last decades.

FUCK THE POLICE
07-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Of course it is. They've been saying this since 2005. Bring up some NEW news next time...

Micawber
06-02-2017, 02:06 PM
The Republican Party adopted a platform goal of increasing the strength frequency and intensity of hurricanes. Fact

Cypress
06-02-2017, 06:34 PM
The Republican Party adopted a platform goal of increasing the strength frequency and intensity of hurricanes. Fact

Oh man, I bet there are some nuggets buried in the past on this board. Deniers have been all over the map -- the goal post moving, retreating, back tracking, and revising has been quite remarkable!

There was a long period of time when conservatards and climate deniers - to a man - were drop dead certain that the Climategate non-scandal was proof global warming was a vast conspiracy, a hoax, perpetrated by a world wide cabal of lying scientists. It was comedy gold, I tell ya!

Bigdog
06-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Oh good grief :palm:

The Goracle promised us 20 Katrina's per year. Didn't happen.

Stretch
06-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, tornadoes will continue in intensity. No connection to man-made warming, though.

canceled.2021.1
06-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Oh man, I bet there are some nuggets buried in the past on this board. Deniers have been all over the map -- the goal post moving, retreating, back tracking, and revising has been quite remarkable!

There was a long period of time when conservatards and climate deniers - to a man - were drop dead certain that the Climategate non-scandal was proof global warming was a vast conspiracy, a hoax, perpetrated by a world wide cabal of lying scientists. It was comedy gold, I tell ya!

What is a climate denier? Are there really people who deny that climate exists?

OK if it makes you feel better, I hereby acknowledge that climate exists. I will even stipulate that the climate changes. In fact it changes four times a year.

Happy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk