PDA

View Full Version : Allies of Bush's Father Ask Baker to Push for Iraq Change; But Baker May Not

Prakosh
10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Here is another leftist rant from that Communist publication USNews. Some think "Baker will have only minimal impact because the current president is so deeply committed to his current approach in Iraq." Deeply committed? More like ignorantly stubborn. And if this is the case, then Baker may not do much at all. Wonder how much he got paid to do this little bit of sleight of hand. I mean if this administration is putting aside $20 million for an Iraq war victory celebration sometime after Bush is out of office, then who knows where money is being spent.

Allies of Bush's Father Ask Baker to Push for Iraq Change
By Kenneth T. Walsh

Posted 10/16/06

Some friends and advisers to ex-President George H. W. Bush are urging former Secretary of State James Baker to be as forceful as possible in recommending a new course of action in Iraq for George W. Bush.

Baker was one of the closest confidants to the elder Bush, and he is now cochairing a citizens' commission studying the war in Iraq and ways to improve the situation there. Many members of the former president's foreign-policy and national-security team are privately troubled by the current president's policies in Iraq and criticize what they consider a series of mistakes in occupying the country, including lack of sufficient U.S. troops and failure to stem sectarian violence.

But so far the incumbent president hasn't budged from his approach of holding the line. Baker and his panel aren't expected to make recommendations until after the November 7 election, but Washington insiders who are close to the Bush family say they have rising hopes that Baker will come up with a plan to "save" the younger Bush's Iraq strategy. But there is another school of thought among the ex-president's advisers that Baker will have only minimal impact because the current president is so deeply committed to his current approach in Iraq.

According to this "realist" faction, Baker in the end won't allow the panel to recommend a big shift in course if he believes the White House will reject it or if he thinks it will embarrass the administration.

Full USNEWS Leftist Rant (www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/061016/16baker.htm)

Cypress
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Here is another leftist rant from that Communist publication USNews. Some think "Baker will have only minimal impact because the current president is so deeply committed to his current approach in Iraq." Deeply committed? More like ignorantly stubborn. And if this is the case, then Baker may not do much at all. Wonder how much he got paid to do this little bit of sleight of hand. I mean if this administration is putting aside $20 million for an Iraq war victory celebration sometime after Bush is out of office, then who knows where money is being spent.

Allies of Bush's Father Ask Baker to Push for Iraq Change
By Kenneth T. Walsh

Posted 10/16/06

Some friends and advisers to ex-President George H. W. Bush are urging former Secretary of State James Baker to be as forceful as possible in recommending a new course of action in Iraq for George W. Bush.

Baker was one of the closest confidants to the elder Bush, and he is now cochairing a citizens' commission studying the war in Iraq and ways to improve the situation there. Many members of the former president's foreign-policy and national-security team are privately troubled by the current president's policies in Iraq and criticize what they consider a series of mistakes in occupying the country, including lack of sufficient U.S. troops and failure to stem sectarian violence.

But so far the incumbent president hasn't budged from his approach of holding the line. Baker and his panel aren't expected to make recommendations until after the November 7 election, but Washington insiders who are close to the Bush family say they have rising hopes that Baker will come up with a plan to "save" the younger Bush's Iraq strategy. But there is another school of thought among the ex-president's advisers that Baker will have only minimal impact because the current president is so deeply committed to his current approach in Iraq.

According to this "realist" faction, Baker in the end won't allow the panel to recommend a big shift in course if he believes the White House will reject it or if he thinks it will embarrass the administration.

Full USNEWS Leftist Rant (www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/061016/16baker.htm)

Then I hope to God that Baker isn't getting paid a salary to sit on this Iraq Commission. Cause his job is to recommend a viable strategy, not to worry about if the Chimp gets embarrased.

Damocles
10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
So, now you post a story that makes the same point I was making that you were arguing against yesterday?

I said yesterday that I didn't believe that this Admin would change...

uscitizen
10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
But dixie is busy arguing in another thread that "stay the course" will cover whatever Bush does in Iraq ;)

Prakosh
10-18-2006, 04:38 AM
So, now you post a story that makes the same point I was making that you were arguing against yesterday?

I said yesterday that I didn't believe that this Admin would change...

Well, what I post and what I believe aren't always the same thing. I still think that Bush will be forced to change his course in Iraq. Although Cheney's recent ignorance which he displayed on Rush Limbaugh flies in the face of what Baker and others including the nightly news is saying about Iraq and flies in the face of the mounting death tolls and daily increasing numbers of those found tortured and murdered in the streets.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that:

FORMER US secretary of state James Baker was visibly shocked when he last visited Iraq, and said the country was in a "helluva mess", the BBC reported today.

Mr Baker is leading a review of the situation in Iraq by a bipartisan US committee of experts, and is expected to recommend a change in US strategy for rebuilding Iraq.

Citing a unnamed close friend and ally of Mr Baker's, himself a top politician, the BBC reported that Mr Baker said "there simply weren't any easy solutions".

Mr Baker was secretary of state to US President George W. Bush's father, president George Bush.

Citing unnamed members of Mr Baker's committee, The Los Angeles Times yesterday said that two options under consideration would represent reversals of US policy - withdrawing American troops in phases, and bringing neighbouring Iran and Syria into a joint effort to stop the fighting.

The BBC also reported that a third possibility was under consideration - to concentrate on getting stability in Iraq, and stop aiming to establish a democracy there.

The 10-member commission has agreed that change must be made, the Times report said.

"It's not going to be 'stay the course,'" the paper quoted one participant as saying. "The bottom line is, (current policy) isn't working. There's got to be another way."

Full Putrid Story (www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20601699-5006506,00.html)

AnyOldIron
10-18-2006, 04:42 AM
The only option the US has is to get rid of the chimp.

Whilst the chimp and his regime are in power, he will continue to help the US lose the battle against Islamic extremism and create endless problems for future generations to deal with.

klaatu
10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
The only option the US has is to get rid of the chimp.

Whilst the chimp and his regime are in power, he will continue to help the US lose the battle against Islamic extremism and create endless problems for future generations to deal with.

In another month the 2008 Campaign for President begins... so the focus will shift from Bush's non plan to the candidates on both sides and their individual views regarding the cluster fuck that is aka Iraq, which means our national disussion gets real serious and brimming with passion. Right now the left is kicking ass and has the favor of the American people.... this is going to move the right towards the middle on this issue.... so Bush is going to get it from both sides now ....

Damocles
10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
I just don't think he will change his course. It doesn't seem to matter to him. Over half the nation screaming about border and port security and Bush can't find the border in a go-cart and a blue workshirt? What makes you think that this will be any different?

klaatu
10-18-2006, 06:47 AM
I just don't think he will change his course. It doesn't seem to matter to him. Over half the nation screaming about border and port security and Bush can't find the border in a go-cart and a blue workshirt? What makes you think that this will be any different?

Its not going to be any different ... at least he'll make it seem that way. But I wouldnt be suprised to see some sort of troop movement--be it withdrawel of forces or redeployment within the next year.... he'll do it in a way that will give an apparence that the stratagy is built in his existing non plan.

uscitizen
10-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Well Bush is planning on pulling out troops from South Korea. Perhaps he is going to redeploy them in Iraq ?

Damocles
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Its not going to be any different ... at least he'll make it seem that way. But I wouldnt be suprised to see some sort of troop movement--be it withdrawel of forces or redeployment within the next year.... he'll do it in a way that will give an apparence that the stratagy is built in his existing non plan.
I've actually suggested this in a couple threads earlier...

Wait until the right moment of relative quiet, declare the Iraqis are "stepping up" and get some out of there. Do it every time there is a relative lull and pretty soon there would only be support contingents in Kuwait!

uscitizen
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
According to an online survey on CNN online right now, 75% say we shoudl set up a timeline for getting out of Iraq.

Damocles
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
According to an online survey on CNN online right now, 75% say we shoudl set up a timeline for getting out of Iraq.
Yeah, but what I suggest Bush might actually do, it saves him face....

If he changes it will be in a way that makes it look like he is still "staying the course"...

Thus the sneaky, "They're stepping up!" plan.

uscitizen
10-18-2006, 09:40 AM
h yes whatever bush does will be sneaky, rover is running it.

Prakosh
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Here is my prediction. Bush will be forced to reveal all the lies and deceptions that got the US into the war in Iraq and he will finally leave office the most disgraced American president since President Nixon. It is coming as sure as the next bus, late and off schedule, but coming none the less.