PDA

View Full Version : in memoriam

Don Quixote
10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
i post this each year in memoriam of my brother

This applies to all military be they air force, army, coast guard, marines or navy and to those at home firefighters, police and paramedics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

One of my personal demons visited me last night.

I typed this with tears in my eyes for the loss of my brother. I should have used Gunny instead of sergeant but it was as if someone else was typing this

"Soldier stand your post," said the sergeant

I gathered my gear, helmet and rifle relieved the guard and stood my post until relieved

I gathered my gear, helmet and rifle relieved the guard and stood my post until relieved

Day after day, night after night I took my turn and stood my post until relieved

I waited and watched until relieved

Day after day, night after night I took my turn and stood my post until relieved

A soldier's duty is to fight and sometimes to die

"Soldier stand your last post," said the sergeant

Now here I lie standing my last post.

Alone I may seem, but many are with me. They too stood their post and then their last post.

For my brother Lance Corporal Steven Hopwood USMC 10/1942 - 1/1967 - he stands his last post

Annie
10-18-2008, 11:55 PM
i post this each year in memoriam of my brother

This applies to all military be they air force, army, coast guard, marines or navy and to those at home firefighters, police and paramedics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

One of my personal demons visited me last night.

I typed this with tears in my eyes for the loss of my brother. I should have used Gunny instead of sergeant but it was as if someone else was typing this

I waited and watched until relieved

A soldier's duty is to fight and sometimes to die

"Soldier stand your last post," said the sergeant

Now here I lie standing my last post.

Alone I may seem, but many are with me. They too stood their post and then their last post.

For my brother Lance Corporal Steven Hopwood USMC 10/1942 - 1/1967 - he stands his last post
DQ, thank you for sharing that. My condolences on the loss of your brother. I'll say a prayer for him this evening/morning.

Don Quixote
10-19-2008, 12:03 AM
thank you

he is with me always

Cancel3
10-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Well said, Don Q. My condolences for the loss of your brother. And my deepest thanks for his service and sacrifice.

Cancel3
10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
It took me a bit to find the source so I would get it right. But I think Lincoln (or John Hay) wouldn't mind me quoting a portion of the letter.

"I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."

ib1yysguy
10-19-2008, 02:34 AM
It took me a bit to find the source so I would get it right. But I think Lincoln (or John Hay) wouldn't mind me quoting a portion of the letter.

"I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."

You got that from Saving Private Ryan. Admit it.

uscitizen
10-19-2008, 06:35 AM
My sympathy Don. Good post.
We never forget.