PDA

View Full Version : Co worker issue

Beefy
10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Maybe a little advice here.

I moved onto this Island knowing nobody except the guy that let me room with him for the first two weeks, but made friends, and now people are whispering that I'm my boss's "little buddy", even though they've all known him for years, and I've known him for 9 months.

I got this job in February as a grunt, getting paid peanuts, and working with a co worker named Al. We were pulling wire for the first 3 months of my experience and him and I became pretty good friends. Then a couple of people left the company, and Al got new responsibilities as did I. Trouble is, Al isn't that smart, and he's always complaining about other people, about his paycheck, about how he's underappreciated, and about he should get more respect.

So now, I'm doing really well with the company. Huge raises, company car, big bonuses, and my project manager talking about giving me an interest in the comany in the next 12 months. Al is still bitching and crying. He's getting passed up. Waa Waa. But alls I'm going is working hard, like I always have and always will.

So we get put o this job this week at night, and Al takes 4 hours, 4 HOURS to run a 4 foot pice of conduit with 2 offsets. And the end result looks like shit. Total shit. The job is slow, Al is not carrying his weight, and its making me look bad.

But I like this guy. He's really okay. I don't want to throw him under the bus, but I don't want him to throw me under the bus with his shitty ass work either. My name's on the job too.

Well, I guess in writing this I got my answer.

Shit.

Cancel7
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
"Well, I guess in writing this I got my answer.

Shit."

Yeah, I think so.

BRUTALITOPS
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
throw him under the bus. I have an interesting story where I worked somewhere and after one week of being there I realized my co-worker was going to undermine all my efforts by being an idiot so I immediately went to work completely isolating him and outperforming him.

More details to follow. I don't feel like typing it all right now.

uscitizen
10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
do your job with pride, but you can't carry others.
You sound like a good worker Beefy.
I used to get complaints from other sluffer workers becuase I did too much. Too bad. I was there to do a job and so were they.
Do not be nasty to the guy but I think things will work out.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe a little advice here.

I moved onto this Island knowing nobody except the guy that let me room with him for the first two weeks, but made friends, and now people are whispering that I'm my boss's "little buddy", even though they've all known him for years, and I've known him for 9 months.

I got this job in February as a grunt, getting paid peanuts, and working with a co worker named Al. We were pulling wire for the first 3 months of my experience and him and I became pretty good friends. Then a couple of people left the company, and Al got new responsibilities as did I. Trouble is, Al isn't that smart, and he's always complaining about other people, about his paycheck, about how he's underappreciated, and about he should get more respect.

So now, I'm doing really well with the company. Huge raises, company car, big bonuses, and my project manager talking about giving me an interest in the comany in the next 12 months. Al is still bitching and crying. He's getting passed up. Waa Waa. But alls I'm going is working hard, like I always have and always will.

So we get put o this job this week at night, and Al takes 4 hours, 4 HOURS to run a 4 foot pice of conduit with 2 offsets. And the end result looks like shit. Total shit. The job is slow, Al is not carrying his weight, and its making me look bad.

But I like this guy. He's really okay. I don't want to throw him under the bus, but I don't want him to throw me under the bus with his shitty ass work either. My name's on the job too.

Well, I guess in writing this I got my answer.

Shit.

Don't be an ass. You should cover for him.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
BTW I said that mainly because I knew everyone else would say stuff like "Yes, you knowzers!" and "Throw him under the bus!", and I hate when we form a circle jerk advice group on the internet. So I decided to keep my pants zipped, even though I'd normally whip it out.

Cancel3
10-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Its hard to rise to the top and be a nice guy too.

Hopefully your boss will be able to see who is the productive worker and who is not. From the sound of your progress, he has so far.

Also, at some point, there will be problems with the work done. Thats when it comes out. Yours will be good and his will have problems.

Just curious, what kind of lines are you running? (I work in utilities too)

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Its hard to rise to the top and be a nice guy too.

Hopefully your boss will be able to see who is the productive worker and who is not. From the sound of your progress, he has so far.

Also, at some point, there will be problems with the work done. Thats when it comes out. Yours will be good and his will have problems.

Just curious, what kind of lines are you running? (I work in utilities too)

Sol, he is in burglar alarms, security systems and such. From what I recall.

He was lamenting one night about ghosts in a touch control door opener.

Cancel3
10-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Sol, he is in burglar alarms, security systems and such. From what I recall.

He was lamenting one night about ghosts in a touch control door opener.

Thats right, I remember that post now.

Oh well, I was picturing him running lines for telecomm. Lotta idiots in that business who whine and get lazy.

Chapdog
10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I would never do wrong to another person I worked with unless they did wrong to me first but then its some serious payback.

LadyT
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Don't be an ass. You should cover for him.

LOL

Yeah. We all have to take one for the team every now and then. Suck it up and go lay that pipe down.

LadyT
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I would never do wrong to another person I worked with unless they did wrong to me first but then its some serious payback.

I gotta agree with this 110%.

Although I have a similar situation at work wiht an admin who's so sweet and like chit chatting with. She's messed up some stuff, but just cover for anyway b/c she's nice and nice admins are hard to find around here.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know what you're supposed to do about him Beefy. Most of the terrible workers at my place just get fired eventually. I don't think it's good form to personally go up to the boss and rant about how they should be fired. Does your boss know about what a shitty job he's doing?

evince
10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
You could sugest to him ways to make the lines function and look better. Share tips with him about how the make the work go faster.

Maybe he will get why you are deemed a more valuble employee due to your ideas on making the job an art.

Talk about how you always try to do any job you have ever done as best as you possibly can. Tell him how you like to leave each day knowing you performed to your top level.

He sounds like a slacker and sometimes a slacker needs to hear how non slackers think.

He may never get it but at least he can contrast how you two think differently and how that impacts the company.

Then throw him under the bus.

Thorn
10-09-2008, 10:52 AM
You could sugest to him ways to make the lines function and look better. Share tips with him about how the make the work go faster.

Maybe he will get why you are deemed a more valuble employee due to your ideas on making the job an art.

Talk about how you always try to do any job you have ever done as best as you possibly can. Tell him how you like to leave each day knowing you performed to your top level.

He sounds like a slacker and sometimes a slacker needs to hear how non slackers think.

He may never get it but at least he can contrast how you two think differently and how that impacts the company.

LOL! Until I reached your last line, I was thinking that although that sounds reasonable and constructive, this guy doesn't come off as someone who would be receptive to any such advice. If anything it's more likely to fuel his resentment even further.

Beefy, you're not responsible for this guy; he's an adult and has to face the consequences of his own actions and inactions. I've seen this when students are required to work on a project in teams; invariably the better, harder workers end up both doing most or all of the work and refusing to work with the slackers again. This guy's ineptitude is surely apparent.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
LOL! Until I reached your last line, I was thinking that although that sounds reasonable and constructive, this guy doesn't come off as someone who would be receptive to any such advice. If anything it's more likely to fuel his resentment even further.

Beefy, you're not responsible for this guy; he's an adult and has to face the consequences of his own actions and inactions. I've seen this when students are required to work on a project in teams; invariably the better, harder workers end up both doing most or all of the work and refusing to work with the slackers again. This guy's ineptitude is surely apparent.

Dumbass teachers.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
You know what I hate about you dumbass teachers?

You design classes that are utterly pointless, and assign half the credit in the entire class to pointless tasks so that idiots can pass, and smart people who are annoyed by them and don't feel like doing pointless tasks but pass every test with a 100 are punished. You promote idiocy.

TRGLDTE
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I used to work construction, most crews are a bunch of Mexicans. So one day the Boss says to me, "You are my worst worker. All these other guys work faster than you." I told him that I was his BEST worker because I kept on working even when he wasn't looking, and my work never had to be redone. The wetbacks used to play a game of seeing how much they could slide when he wasn't looking. This great judge of character was out of the business a few years later... I wonder why.....

If you want to see some hard workers who give a full day's work for full day's pay - hire Amish / Mennonite day labor. You have to supply the tools, but they're amazing.

Thorn
10-09-2008, 12:15 PM

You design classes that are utterly pointless, and assign half the credit in the entire class to pointless tasks so that idiots can pass, and smart people who are annoyed by them and don't feel like doing pointless tasks but pass every test with a 100 are punished. You promote idiocy.

Hey, don't look at me! I fail slackers with regularity.

TRGLDTE
10-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey, don't look at me! I fail slackers with regularity. In any work group assignment, part of the required submission is that each member rank himself / herself and the team members. Ranking sheets are turned in separately from the project, and if not turned in results in a zero. You can tell from the reporting patterns if someone was a slug.

evince
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM

My main point with this post is that until you give the person the opportunity to learn your point of view in life you cant blame them for being too selfish, stupid or whatever to get it.

Once they have had access to the ideas and refuse them then its please meet the wheels of the bus time.

BRUTALITOPS
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM

I know what you meant here but the contrast is priceless anyway. A+. I think I love you now.

BRUTALITOPS
10-09-2008, 12:34 PM

K watermark just described all of high school for me. I remember these kids forming study groups and busting their ass and getting B's.. when I wouldn't do anything and get B's and A's. and I was like .. "shit, if I worked as hard as these retards I would be pwning my entire high school.

evince
10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
tingle tingle

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
K watermark just described all of high school for me. I remember these kids forming study groups and busting their ass and getting B's.. when I wouldn't do anything and get B's and A's. and I was like .. "shit, if I worked as hard as these retards I would be pwning my entire high school.

I think the thing that probably annoys me most is when they try to grade homework. Homework is for STUDYING. Why the hell would you assign a grade to it? If I can pass without studying that's my goddamn business.

evince
10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
wait until college water .

They dont give a rats ass if you do or dont do any assignments.

Call them whatever you want, they tell you whats required and when the tests are and then grade you on your performance.

Either do them or not they dont care.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Call them whatever you want, they tell you whats required and when the tests are and then grade you on your performance.

I AM IN COLLEGE

TRGLDTE
10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I AM IN COLLEGE From my point of view. Why grade homework? It's extra work! But in reality, if there are few exams to use to grade, then an unfortunate soul can get a lousy grade for the entire semester by having a single bad exam. By chunking down to smaller pieces (homework for example), it gives the professor more oppoptunity to see if you can do the work. I collected homework for grading AND made sure it was returned the next class session.

evince
10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I was never given any homework in college.

I was given assignments to finish by a certain date but I never heard anyone call it "homework".

Damocles
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Tell him to pick up his end because it sucks working with his lazy a$4.

Cancel3
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Thats one of the reasons I like the way we pay our field crews and subcontractors. We pay them production.

So much per foot (depending on the type of work). Hustle and you can make some very good money. Slack off too much and you can starve.

BRUTALITOPS
10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

this is what a thrive on. Which is why I've done so good in college compared to high school probably lol. Just give me a few tests that's all I need, i'll brute force study what I don't know.

Beefy
10-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Thats one of the reasons I like the way we pay our field crews and subcontractors. We pay them production.

So much per foot (depending on the type of work). Hustle and you can make some very good money. Slack off too much and you can starve.

You can pay subs like that. In fact that's why we were assigned to lay this conduit. 300' of 3/4, and 450' of 1/2. And mind you the 4' pipe that confounded Al was 1/2". That shit is like a wet noodle, its easy. But the electricians wanted too much money, so they put me in there with him.

And US, come on, I didn't really see a ghost in the door. Why you throwin' me under the bus like that?

BRUTALITOPS
10-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Beefy if you want to be all ethical about it you can pull that guy into your boss's office and state your concerns with him there.

You get the same thing across, without coming across as a spineless behind the back tattle bitch. You are giving the other guy a chance to defend himself. (which even the other guy may appreciate on some level) It also makes it look like you are taking the issue seriously and not just trying to curry favor. It makes you look more like a team player. And the best part is, the boss in the end will probably believe you anyway. It's win win lose. (lose for the other guy :) )

Beefy
10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Beefy if you want to be all ethical about it you can pull that guy into your boss's office and state your concerns with him there.

You get the same thing across, without coming across as a spineless behind the back tattle bitch. You are giving the other guy a chance to defend himself. (which even the other guy may appreciate on some level) It also makes it look like you are taking the issue seriously and not just trying to curry favor. It makes you look more like a team player. And the best part is, the boss in the end will probably believe you anyway. It's win win lose. (lose for the other guy :) )

My bosses already know. Al has said to me several times "Larry's on yo DICK!" which is black guy for "Larry likes you". Larry's brought it up to Al that I'm moving up and he should try to do the same, but Al sees that as an assault.

I'm just going to keep doing what I do, and when asked, I'll be honest. I'm sure I'll do fine.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
From my point of view. Why grade homework? It's extra work! But in reality, if there are few exams to use to grade, then an unfortunate soul can get a lousy grade for the entire semester by having a single bad exam. By chunking down to smaller pieces (homework for example), it gives the professor more oppoptunity to see if you can do the work. I collected homework for grading AND made sure it was returned the next class session.

Most of my professors have a drop grade where the worst exam is dropped. It is just as easy to get a lousy grade for the entire semester for not doing homework as it is for not studying for a single test. IMHO, you are just picking an unfairness to favor.

FUCK THE POLICE
10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
this is what a thrive on. Which is why I've done so good in college compared to high school probably lol. Just give me a few tests that's all I need, i'll brute force study what I don't know.

To be fair it isn't nearly as bad as in high school.

I have gone from a B to an A GPA in transition from high school to junior college.

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 05:53 PM
You can pay subs like that. In fact that's why we were assigned to lay this conduit. 300' of 3/4, and 450' of 1/2. And mind you the 4' pipe that confounded Al was 1/2". That shit is like a wet noodle, its easy. But the electricians wanted too much money, so they put me in there with him.

And US, come on, I didn't really see a ghost in the door. Why you throwin' me under the bus like that?

No pickin on ya beefy. I remember something about a haunted touchplate lock and ferrite cores....

Beefy
10-09-2008, 06:15 PM
No pickin on ya beefy. I remember something about a haunted touchplate lock and ferrite cores....

Dude, context man, context. The door is not responding to the proper stimuli. Ferrite beads be damned. It was a metaphor, the door is possessed.

LOL anyway though. I think I'm finally starting to get you.

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Dude, context man, context. The door is not responding to the proper stimuli. Ferrite beads be damned. It was a metaphor, the door is possessed.

LOL anyway though. I think I'm finally starting to get you.

did you ever solve the lock mystery ?

yeah you are gettin to me bad.

Beefy
10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
did you ever solve the lock mystery ?

yeah you are gettin to me bad.

We bypassed the power supply and hooked up a 24v 7ah battery directly to the lock itself, and the door operated as it should. However, when we go back to the honeywell dedicated power supply, the behavior of the door relies solely on the length of the grounding wire.

It a touch bar door where once it is touched, it grounds, drains a minute amount of voltage from the relay and trips it. So it should either ground or not. But there's apparently other factors at play. If the grounding wire from the board to the bar is longer than about 8 inches, it goes on continual reset, whereas if it is less than that, it works okay. Problem is that the bar itself becomes a 3' grounding wire and continually resets.

Thanks for listening, I'm sure its been fascinating as all hell.

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 06:31 PM
We bypassed the power supply and hooked up a 24v 7ah battery directly to the lock itself, and the door operated as it should. However, when we go back to the honeywell dedicated power supply, the behavior of the door relies solely on the length of the grounding wire.

It a touch bar door where once it is touched, it grounds, drains a minute amount of voltage from the relay and trips it. So it should either ground or not. But there's apparently other factors at play. If the grounding wire from the board to the bar is longer than about 8 inches, it goes on continual reset, whereas if it is less than that, it works okay. Problem is that the bar itself becomes a 3' grounding wire and continually resets.

Thanks for listening, I'm sure its been fascinating as all hell.

Capacitance....
Picking up voltage from flourescent lights, etc I would have to use a scope on it to see what it was.

Beefy
10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Capacitance....
Picking up voltage from flourescent lights, etc I would have to use a scope on it to see what it was.

Its not that. Been done. All the things we can think of have been done.

Damocles
10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Use the Palin plan and use your Mavericky skills.... Take the problem, think how a Maverick would deal with it, then when you have figured that out, do that, don'tyaknow?

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Well obviously it is something you have not thought of.

Beefy
10-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Well obviously it is something you have not thought of.

Thank you Watson. Same goes for you. There's a unique situation going in here and it must involve the power supply, but its not rogue AC, its not interference, its not corrupt lines, its not the board, the bar, the ground wire or the lock, its not the reader.

So wise guy, tell me what it is. Power supply = problem. But how to fix? Keep in mind its had 5 different power supplies, two from the box, two from an 2 different outlets on 2 transformers, and one directly hardwired from the 24v 7ah battery. Only the batter worked.

Damocles
10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Thank you Watson. Same goes for you. There's a unique situation going in here and it must involve the power supply, but its not rogue AC, its not interference, its not corrupt lines, its not the board, the bar, the ground wire or the lock, its not the reader.

So wise guy, tell me what it is. Power supply = problem. But how to fix? Keep in mind its had 5 different power supplies, two from the box, two from an 2 different outlets on 2 transformers, and one directly hardwired from the 24v 7ah battery. Only the batter worked.
It's the big electromagnet that you set up right next to the power supply...

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 07:34 PM

what is the output of the power supply ?
Did you measure for ripple on the power supply with a scope ? I expect so.
A scope is much better for seeing things than a DMM.
Have you tried putting a cap accross the power supply close to the unit in question ?
Actually 2 caps at a guess about a .1 and a 100 uf. also is the unit very low current drain while not poerating the solenoid ? You ight need to load the power supply just a bit with a resistor ? I dunno I would have to check it with a scope and study the schematics a bit.

Beefy
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Its 28vdc Right where it should be. And of course I've used resistors and a meter.

Explain what you mean by a cap on the power supply.

And the solenoid i receiving the same power and activation at a twin door 120 feet away.

uscitizen
10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Its 28vdc Right where it should be. And of course I've used resistors and a meter.

Explain what you mean by a cap on the power supply.

And the solenoid i receiving the same power and activation at a twin door 120 feet away.

if it is noise or capacitance on the power supply feed to the unit a capacitor from the pos to neg lead close to the unit or even where the power goes into the unit might help. Maybe a .1 uf cap ? Like I say I would need to study the unit and the cap. sounds like it has to be some sort of noise or something on the power leads.

As I said before an oscilloscope is much better than a dmm for spotting such things.

Beefy
10-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Whoa. I would love one of those oscopes. I think I'll lobby the management to gt one. If it would have troubleshot this door problem right away, it would have paid for itself in its first job.

uscitizen
10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Whoa. I would love one of those oscopes. I think I'll lobby the management to gt one. If it would have troubleshot this door problem right away, it would have paid for itself in its first job.

Dual trace with delayed trigger. 100 mhz bandwith should be ok for most things.
Techtronix is my fav brand.

I have an one one I bought refurbished, works great.
if noise on the line you can figure out the frequency and from that figure out which size Capacitor would filter it out.

Beefy
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Dual trace with delayed trigger. 100 mhz bandwith should be ok for most things.
Techtronix is my fav brand.

I have an one one I bought refurbished, works great.
if noise on the line you can figure out the frequency and from that figure out which size Capacitor would filter it out.

Rad. What do those run?

uscitizen
10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Rad. What do those run?

For a refurb 475 tektronix with a dual trace module and deleyed sweep with probes , I thnk around 1,500. I have not priced the newer ones, they have small lightweignt digital ones now. do a search on oscilloscpe. You need one with analog inputs. Some are just for working with logic level circuitry.

Beefy
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm getting a new car. Al's getting the worst car in the fleet. He's going to cry the fuck about it all night.

Pray for me.

KingCondanomation
10-13-2008, 10:26 PM
if it is noise or capacitance on the power supply feed to the unit a capacitor from the pos to neg lead close to the unit or even where the power goes into the unit might help. Maybe a .1 uf cap ? Like I say I would need to study the unit and the cap. sounds like it has to be some sort of noise or something on the power leads.

As I said before an oscilloscope is much better than a dmm for spotting such things.

In 40000+ posts, this is the first time I've seen uscitizen sound smart, seriously, it's like I have to check twice to convince myself it's really the same guy.

KingCondanomation
10-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Matty,

I've had a similar case with employees who sucked in different ways, but as a person more than capable of being a big asshole I have no trouble at all getting in their face and telling them specifically what they are doing wrong, even if it's a big list. Sometimes I've even thrown in what other people think of them (as usually when they are lazy/incompetent you aren't the only one to notice), this makes it very uncomfortable and forces them to realize they are the weak link. Other people usually thank you later and give you the speech about how they always wanted to say that.
Every single time, there was a complete turnaround, it's almost an instinct in people not to be worst as bad things happen, especially publicly.

Another trick is to save how and when they fucked up for when the boss is around BUT you pretend you didn't notice the boss was around. This is a great way of getting attention to his problems without looking like a tattletale. The boss just "happens" to overhear the fuckup and good things can only happen from there, as he gets accountability and you don't end up looking like someone who tried to get him in shit, you just look like someone who isn't very observative of what he says which further makes him worry about future fuckups.

You can do this with email too. Send an email to buddy about his fuckup, and then CC the boss while asking the boss some question not pertaining or slightly pertaining to the fuckup. Again this alerts the boss while only looking like your trying to kill 2 birds with one email and didn't think to send them seperate.

LadyT
10-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Matty,

I've had a similar case with employees who sucked in different ways.....

Did you ever run into this situation when you worked at McDonalds?

uscitizen
10-14-2008, 07:51 AM
In 40000+ posts, this is the first time I've seen uscitizen sound smart, seriously, it's like I have to check twice to convince myself it's really the same guy.

I am a darned good techie. I have only met 2 or 3 better than I am at troubleshooting problems in my lifetime.

KingCondanomation
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Did you ever run into this situation when you worked at McDonalds?

Yeah, but we both know you don't care. It's funny how lefties always claim to be for the little guy as whenever I've mentioned a shit job I worked at, Liberals immediately chime in with derisive comments about it.

LadyT
10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but we both know you don't care. It's funny how lefties always claim to be for the little guy as whenever I've mentioned a shit job I worked at, Liberals immediately chime in with derisive comments about it.

derisive?

i just curious if you'd encountered similar conflict at McDonalds and if so was interested in hearing the resolution to said conflict.

Minister of Truth
10-14-2008, 10:48 AM
The only conflict I've ever encountered at McDonalds is the employees doing battle with the contemptable shake machine.

Oh, yeah, and my best friend's dad is a jerk and routinely yells at the employees and management.

uscitizen
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Aww Dixie we support you. We just think you should have stayed at mickyD's and not hit the Peter Principle.

Beefy
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Matty,

I've had a similar case with employees who sucked in different ways, but as a person more than capable of being a big asshole I have no trouble at all getting in their face and telling them specifically what they are doing wrong, even if it's a big list. Sometimes I've even thrown in what other people think of them (as usually when they are lazy/incompetent you aren't the only one to notice), this makes it very uncomfortable and forces them to realize they are the weak link. Other people usually thank you later and give you the speech about how they always wanted to say that.
Every single time, there was a complete turnaround, it's almost an instinct in people not to be worst as bad things happen, especially publicly.

Another trick is to save how and when they fucked up for when the boss is around BUT you pretend you didn't notice the boss was around. This is a great way of getting attention to his problems without looking like a tattletale. The boss just "happens" to overhear the fuckup and good things can only happen from there, as he gets accountability and you don't end up looking like someone who tried to get him in shit, you just look like someone who isn't very observative of what he says which further makes him worry about future fuckups.

You can do this with email too. Send an email to buddy about his fuckup, and then CC the boss while asking the boss some question not pertaining or slightly pertaining to the fuckup. Again this alerts the boss while only looking like your trying to kill 2 birds with one email and didn't think to send them seperate.

Its been done. Yesterday at 6:30 (our shift ends at 8:30) Al goes "I'm burnt. I think I'll just have some coffe and call it a day". His insinuation was that he was going to do it on the clock, and that was that. So I said "That's cool, if you don't need the hours head out. I'm going to stick around. I don't want to be on this shift longer than I have to."

Then he brought up some shit about how we had a couple of beers at lunch once while working on a security camera job and how times have changed. His exact words "You're willing to get drunk at lunch but not take a couple hours off?" It was a gotcha moment for him, except for the fact that I didn't get drunk, and it was no big deal.

So after our shift, we get called into the managers office, one at a time. Al goes first and comes out all pissed. Then I go in and the manager goes "You're doing a great job. We want to keep you around, we want to keep you happy, here's a new car and a gas card. "

So Al's response today at work? "They get what they pay for. I ain't gonna work for shit if they're gonna pass me up like that."

He fucking doesn't get it. I might be on this night shift twice as long as I should because now, I'm basically working alone.

LadyT
10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Dude, he sounds like big time trouble!!! That gotcha moment is not cool. I hope you don't consider him a friend.

Beefy
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Dude, he sounds like big time trouble!!! That gotcha moment is not cool. I hope you don't consider him a friend.

I'm not worried about it. His opinion is not respected at all. I stopped considering him a friend at that moment. He's going to get shitcanned anyhow. I think they're trying to drive him to quit, and if he doesn't, they'll put him down. They should do it already. He's dragging the company. He's dead weight. And other than him, its a great place to work.

LadyT
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm not worried about it. His opinion is not respected at all. I stopped considering him a friend at that moment. He's going to get shitcanned anyhow. I think they're trying to drive him to quit, and if he doesn't, they'll put him down. They should do it already. He's dragging the company. He's dead weight. And other than him, its a great place to work.

Good call all around. You guys didn't do anything necessarily wrong at the beer lunch but the fact that he thought he had something to call you out on at work is a red flag. It looks like you caught it and are going to act accordingly so kudos!

Cancel3
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Its another example of the good worker carrying the weight of the bad workers.

But congrats on the recognition and car. Well done, Beefy.

Thorn
10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Way to go, Beefy! :)

KingCondanomation
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Its been done. Yesterday at 6:30 (our shift ends at 8:30) Al goes "I'm burnt. I think I'll just have some coffe and call it a day". His insinuation was that he was going to do it on the clock, and that was that. So I said "That's cool, if you don't need the hours head out. I'm going to stick around. I don't want to be on this shift longer than I have to."

Then he brought up some shit about how we had a couple of beers at lunch once while working on a security camera job and how times have changed. His exact words "You're willing to get drunk at lunch but not take a couple hours off?" It was a gotcha moment for him, except for the fact that I didn't get drunk, and it was no big deal.

So after our shift, we get called into the managers office, one at a time. Al goes first and comes out all pissed. Then I go in and the manager goes "You're doing a great job. We want to keep you around, we want to keep you happy, here's a new car and a gas card. "

So Al's response today at work? "They get what they pay for. I ain't gonna work for shit if they're gonna pass me up like that."

He fucking doesn't get it. I might be on this night shift twice as long as I should because now, I'm basically working alone.
LOL, isn't it almost a universal truth that guys who announce publicly on their jobs how hard they work are usually the least hardest working guys?

Good luck, could be worse, I had a buddy who worked with a guy with a serious BO problem, eventually somebody had to tell him as he worked hard and was never going to get fired, so he finally did, that was pretty awkward and made it really uncomfortable for the rest of his time there.