PDA

View Full Version : SEC

Topspin
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
3 TEAMS in the top 6

Ohio slow very overrated at 13:clink:

Cancel3
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
On the AP poll there are 5 SEC teams in the top 10.

Half of the best in the nation from one conference.

Of course, that will definitaly change this weekend, since two of them play each other.

I am depending on your LSU Tigers to kick the shit out of that cow college.

Cancel3
09-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok, now the SEC has 4 of the top 10 in both the AP and Coaches polls.

It was an excellent weekend. Bama slaughtered the hogs, and both auburn and tennessee lost.

Add to that a successful weekend antiquing. We got a book of speeches edited by William Jennings Bryan published in 1906 for a mere $3. My wife found 2 pieces of costume jewelry that are worth between $100 and $200 each, and we paid $4.50 each for them.

Also got to wander down to the pond and fish a little. Didn't catch anything worth keeping, but it was relaxing.

Topspin
09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
3 in the top 5 as LSU moved up one to 5 after beating Auburn at their place.
Been about 8yrs since we've got that done.

Cancel3
09-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Yep, I was smiling up a storm when I saw that game.

Next week we will have one less in the top 10. Bama goes to GA this saturday. I am hopeful but not willing to bet any money. Knowshon is one helluva back.

Topspin
09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
but you guys have that studd linebacker #25 and some speed at safety,
It wouldn't be a giant upset to beat them.

Epicurus
09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Whatever Top. It would be a giant effing upset if we beat Georgia. I'm hoping that we will, but it certainly is a hope rather than an expectation.

Cancel3
09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
We have talent, thats for sure. And next year we will be a force to be reckoned with.

But this year we are very young and very inexperienced.

We will see what we do. I think Knowshon is the best back in college football right now. I also think GA is the best team this year. USC hasn't played anyone of sufficient caliber yet.

I'm betting we win against LSU by a greater margin than we do against GA. (or lose by a smaller margin)

Topspin
09-22-2008, 02:34 PM
You'll get pounded by LSU and so will GA.
Charles Scott is the best back in the country, look what he did to Auburn

Cancel3
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I saw ya'll have to make a come back.

The difference between us and Auburn is our offense will score.

Epicurus
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Hell judging by Saturday, our defense might score!

Can't wait to see what happens this weekend.

Cancel3
09-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Hell judging by Saturday, our defense might score!

Can't wait to see what happens this weekend.

I think the secondary can give Stafford problems. The trouble will be stopping Moreno.

But then, no one has been able to stop Mt Cody without double and triple teaming him. That leaves the D line out numbering the O line.

Cancel3
09-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Just found out GA is rolling out their black uniforms.

They seem to use that when they face a tough opponent. They haven't done it but a few times in the last few years. And they won every time.

Saturday could be a tough game.

Epicurus
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Georgia is wearing black because it's their fucking funeral!

Cancel3
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Georgia is wearing black because it's their fucking funeral!

And one of the best high school running backs in the country just committed to Alabama.

Topspin
09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
It wouldn't be a big upset. GA is only 7 points fav
You little boys need to come to grips with SABAN IS A FOOTBALL GOD!!!

Cancel3
09-25-2008, 09:06 AM
It wouldn't be a big upset. GA is only 7 points fav
You little boys need to come to grips with SABAN IS A FOOTBALL GOD!!!

I've been a fan of Saban since he went to LSU.

I know the man can work miracles. I was just expecting us to slap everybody around next year. Lotta freshmen out on the field now.

But we have looked good so far. If we beat GA then we are heading to the top.

Cancel3
09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
ROLL TIDE!!!!!

31-0 at halftime!! We are now the #2 time in the nation!!!

Cancel3
09-28-2008, 04:51 PM
How in the hell can the coaches poll have LSU ranked higher than Bama? Yesterday the Bayou Tigers beat an unranked 1-2 team by only 10 pointsand did it at home (supposedly one of the tough places to play). Alabama smacked the #3 team down by 11, and did it in one of the worst places to be a visiting team. Nah, thats just ridiculous.

And why is USC ranked above GA? GA got beaten by a top 10 team, while USC was spanked by an unranked team with a losing record.

I guess we will see what that freshman QB will do against our D on Nov 8th.

Topspin
09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
AP voters use the games and their pals, bama is properly ranked #4 in the coaches poll.
We whupped Auburn last week in case you forgot. And we've won 2 championships since you were even relevant.
You beat an obviously overranked GA team but struggled to beat tulane.

Cancel3
09-28-2008, 05:37 PM
AP voters use the games and their pals, bama is properly ranked #4 in the coaches poll.
We whupped Auburn last week in case you forgot. And we've won 2 championships since you were even relevant.
You beat an obviously overranked GA team but struggled to beat tulane.

Whupped auburn? Is that what you called it? Hmmm, must've been a different game than I saw. I saw the one where LSU had to come from behind to win. And this was a win against a team that couldn't score a touchdown against Mississippi State. And we both know MSU got blown out by GaTech and LA-Tech. Yep, they are a real powerhouse.

Yeah, you have won two championships. Congrats.

But the topic is the POLLS. Not history. We beat a top team like a redheaded stepchild. And you beat a nobody who has only won a single game all year.

Thats what counts, not what happened last year or the year before.

TRGLDTE
09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Whatever Top. It would be a giant effing upset if we beat Georgia. I'm hoping that we will, but it certainly is a hope rather than an expectation. Dayum! Nice work 'Bama!

Cancel3
09-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Dayum! Nice work 'Bama!

Thanks Trog. (as if I am the Bama football team)

Topspin
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Whupped auburn? Is that what you called it? Hmmm, must've been a different game than I saw. I saw the one where LSU had to come from behind to win. And this was a win against a team that couldn't score a touchdown against Mississippi State. And we both know MSU got blown out by GaTech and LA-Tech. Yep, they are a real powerhouse.

Yeah, you have won two championships. Congrats.

But the topic is the POLLS. Not history. We beat a top team like a redheaded stepchild. And you beat a nobody who has only won a single game all year.

Thats what counts, not what happened last year or the year before.

you beat an overranked team who's claim to faim was beating Hawaii.
The coaches vs toe fu eating sports writers. I'll take the coaches as far as more knowledgeable.

Topspin
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
PS when's the last time you beat Auburn in Auburn?

Cancel3
09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
PS when's the last time you beat Auburn in Auburn?

Are we talking about the Polls or about history?

How many national championships does LSU have? How many SEC championships?

Speaking of over-rated, LSU has beaten who? How many ranked teams again? Thats right, you beat one. And they almost lost to Miss State.

Topspin
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
2 things
1 did I not say Saban was a football god
2 we are both likely to lose before we play each other

Let's enjoy the ride while it last
Roll tide
Go tigers

Cancel3
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
2 things
1 did I not say Saban was a football god
2 we are both likely to lose before we play each other

Let's enjoy the ride while it last
Roll tide
Go tigers

Works for me

ROLL TIDE!
geaux Tigers

Cancel3
10-12-2008, 10:55 AM
OMG! Tops, what happened to LSU?

The first decent team they play and they get beat like a rented mule?

Wow, now that was ugly.

Socrtease
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
OMG! Tops, what happened to LSU?

The first decent team they play and they get beat like a rented mule?

Wow, now that was ugly.This is no lie! 51 to 21 and LSU could only manage 7 points a quarter for the last three after having been shut the FUCK OUT to the tune of 17 nil of the first quarter. And by a next ten team and not a top ten team. Wow how does that happen when SABAN IS A FOOTBALL GOD?

Cancel3
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
This is no lie! 51 to 21 and LSU could only manage 7 points a quarter for the last three after having been shut the FUCK OUT to the tune of 17 nil of the first quarter. And by a next ten team and not a top ten team. Wow how does that happen when SABAN IS A FOOTBALL GOD?

Saban is indeed a football god. But Saban is the head coach at the Univ of Alabama.

Les Miles is the coach at LSU.

Topspin
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
It was ugly and it does happen to all teams eventually.
I don't think it will be our last loss, obviously we couldn't match up with 3 sub 4.3 guys.
We'll see maybe if Bama can you don't play the gators every year.

Epicurus
10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
LULZ TOP!

We #2!

Cancel3
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
It was ugly and it does happen to all teams eventually.
I don't think it will be our last loss, obviously we couldn't match up with 3 sub 4.3 guys.
We'll see maybe if Bama can you don't play the gators every year.

Well, we were told that Clemson's speed was going to be too much for us.

We were told that Georgia's speed and QB were going to be too much for us.

I guess we can only hope that Florida makes it into the SEC Championship, then we can see about what they can do against us.

Topspin
10-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Clemson or Ga aren't close to the Gators

Cancel3
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Top, say what you want or what makes you feel better. But the only team LSU defeated with a winning record was Auburn (App State doesn't count), and auburn is now 2-4 for the season.

So Clemson at 3-3 has a better record than anyone LSU beat.

I have no problem with FL. I look forward to seeing them in the SEC Championship. That is, IF they beat Georgia.

Cancel3
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
What the hell is up with the pollsters and USC?

They are now ranked #4 in the Coaches Poll and #5 in the BCS?

They got their ass smacked by a nobody and they are ranked behind only the top 4 teams? WTF is that about?

GA lost to a ranked team (#2 in the polls now) and they are ranked #7?

Topspin
10-21-2008, 06:04 AM
more ap voters in Socal than Athens

Cancel3
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Top, what was that about us beating an "over-rated Georgia team"?

I believe you said their only claim to fame was beating Hawaii?

I guess they had a little more than you thought, huh? At least enough to blow LSU away.

Mott the Hoople
11-24-2008, 06:15 AM

I strongly concur.

Mott the Hoople
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Top, what was that about us beating an "over-rated Georgia team"?

I believe you said their only claim to fame was beating Hawaii?

I guess they had a little more than you thought, huh? At least enough to blow LSU away.

We'll see how good Bama is when they play Florida. One thing is for sure. the SEC is in no way shape or form even close to being the toughest conference in college football this year.

Cancel3
11-24-2008, 08:55 AM
We'll see how good Bama is when they play Florida. One thing is for sure. the SEC is in no way shape or form even close to being the toughest conference in college football this year.

Top to bottom, no we are not the toughest conference this year.

But looking at the polls, the top 2 spots in the AP & Harris, and spots 1 & 4 in the BCS are nothing to sneeze at.

I think the SEC Championship will be a great game. Yeah, Bama might lose. I am not stupid enough to think its anywhere near a lock. I have watched Florida play several times. They are a talented, well coached team that can nail you in a heartbeat.

I'm looking forward to beating auburn until they cry. Then I'll look to the Gators.

Mott the Hoople
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Top to bottom, no we are not the toughest conference this year.

But looking at the polls, the top 2 spots in the AP & Harris, and spots 1 & 4 in the BCS are nothing to sneeze at.

I think the SEC Championship will be a great game. Yeah, Bama might lose. I am not stupid enough to think its anywhere near a lock. I have watched Florida play several times. They are a talented, well coached team that can nail you in a heartbeat.

I'm looking forward to beating auburn until they cry. Then I'll look to the Gators.

That's upset material. Auburn has one hell of a defense.

Bama vs Gators will be a good game.

If Bama wins who would you like to see them pitted against? Though I think the Big 12 is the toughest conference this year top to bottom, non of the Big 12 teams have a championship caliber defense. I think USC and Penn State are much better match ups for either Bama or Florida. I like Florida agaist USC and Bama against Penn State with the advantage to Florida against USC and advantage to Penn State vs Bama (in both cases, slight advantages). Alas, great match ups but they won't happen.

Cancel3
11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
That's upset material. Auburn has one hell of a defense.

Bama vs Gators will be a good game.

If Bama wins who would you like to see them pitted against? Though I think the Big 12 is the toughest conference this year top to bottom, non of the Big 12 teams have a championship caliber defense. I think USC and Penn State are much better match ups for either Bama or Florida. I like Florida agaist USC and Bama against Penn State with the advantage to Florida against USC and advantage to Penn State vs Bama (in both cases, slight advantages). Alas, great match ups but they won't happen.

I would like to see Bama play Texas or Oklahoma. I think a Florida against USC game would be excellent.

Mott the Hoople
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I would like to see Bama play Texas or Oklahoma. I think a Florida against USC game would be excellent.

If Bama loses to Florida I'd love to see them play the Bucks. They match real well on paper with each other. Won't happen though. It looks like the Buckeyes are destined to play Georgia in the Corporate Sponsor "Who Gives A Shit" bowl in a southern location where Georgia will have the home field advantage.

God what I wouldn't give to see an SEC team have the cajones to play OSU or Michigan or Penn State up north in November.

It would have been hillarious to have seen Florida play at the shoe last weekend! LOL

Cancel3
11-25-2008, 06:33 PM
If Bama loses to Florida I'd love to see them play the Bucks. They match real well on paper with each other. Won't happen though. It looks like the Buckeyes are destined to play Georgia in the Corporate Sponsor "Who Gives A Shit" bowl in a southern location where Georgia will have the home field advantage.

God what I wouldn't give to see an SEC team have the cajones to play OSU or Michigan or Penn State up north in November.

It would have been hillarious to have seen Florida play at the shoe last weekend! LOL

Its almost as much fun as seeing northern teams play in Tuscaloosa in August.

Mott the Hoople
11-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Its almost as much fun as seeing northern teams play in Tuscaloosa in August.

We have, in a manner of speaking. We've played southern teams in the south in our preconference schedule and to be honest with you, I've seen it hotter in Ohio in Aguast than in Alabama or Georgia, at times, so that's a "been there done that" for Northern teams. Can't say that about southern teams who can't seem to play in the post season with out a home field advantage.

That's one of the reasons why USC's bowl records is so lopsided in their favor. They almost always play a bowl game in their back yard.

Cancel3
11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
We have, in a manner of speaking. We've played southern teams in the south in our preconference schedule and to be honest with you, I've seen it hotter in Ohio in Aguast than in Alabama or Georgia, at times, so that's a "been there done that" for Northern teams. Can't say that about southern teams who can't seem to play in the post season with out a home field advantage.

That's one of the reasons why USC's bowl records is so lopsided in their favor. They almost always play a bowl game in their back yard.

I don't think thats the reason fr the lopsided records. The home field advantage isn't that big an advantage. You play the game on the field, not in the stands. Whatever advantage there is cannot explain all of the losses for USC.

And the "backyard" thing is pretty much trashing the home field advantage. Its either their home field or its an away game. Whether they have to travel 50 miles or 1500 miles is not the issue. Its not their home field.

Also, as far as post season goes, have you seen any SEC teams turning down a bowl in the north and taking one in the south??

Or do they play in the bowl they are scheduled to play in? You make it sound as though its something the teams choose.

Mott the Hoople
12-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Well the Oregon State loss was a big deal for my Buckeyes. Looks like we'll play in a BCS Bowl now. We will play either Texas in the Fiesta Bowl or the loser of the SEC championship game in the Sugar Bowl. I like our odds against Texas. Texas hasn't played a defense remotely as good as OSU's. That's why I'm hoping OK loses to Missou in the Big 12 championship game. FL/Bama vs USC will be a hell of a lot better game than Fl/Bama vs OK as the SEC champ will mop the field with OK. Not one of the Big 12 teams has a championship caliber defense.

Cancel3
12-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I think an Ohio State/Texas bowl game would be great to watch.

I'd also like to see what OK would do against a tough defense.

TRGLDTE
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Bwawawahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

Go Jackets!

Cancel3
12-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Bwawawahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

Go Jackets!

Trog, you are a GaTech fan? If they could have played all year like they played in the second half, they would be undefeated and ready to take on any team in the country.

Topspin
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
wow it's funny the big 10 guy bashing the SEC. When has the big 10 been weaker?

Mott the Hoople
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
wow it's funny the big 10 guy bashing the SEC. When has the big 10 been weaker?

Who was bashing the SEC?

TRGLDTE
12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Trog, you are a GaTech fan? If they could have played all year like they played in the second half, they would be undefeated and ready to take on any team in the country.

Yes, alumni tend to root for their alma mater.

It was fun to tune into the after game broadcast and listen to the Dawgs cry and whine. A good team, but no heart. The fans are a bunch of whining little cry babies. I'm going to have to listen to the whining for the next year.

Cancel3
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes, alumni tend to root for their alma mater.

It was fun to tune into the after game broadcast and listen to the Dawgs whine. A good team, but no heart.

Of course alums root for their team. The GA fans here at work were so depressed monday. It was even worse than when my Tide beat them.

My son will be heading there next year for his doctoral work. I am looking forward to having him in town.

Cancel3
12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
The SEC Championship will be the closest we get to a NC game.

It will have the two best teams in college football going head to head.

Cancel 2016.2
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I think an Ohio State/Texas bowl game would be great to watch.

I'd also like to see what OK would do against a tough defense.

I think it will end up being OK against Bama for the title. So you will likely get your wish.

Cancel 2016.2
12-04-2008, 09:10 AM

bullshit.

I would love to see a OK/Bama title game and a FL/TX game. Then we would see who the best conference was this year... not to mention the best team

You stated OK hadn't seen a top Def. Well, Bama hasn't seen a top offense either. Though it will in the SEC title game and in the national championship game (IF it makes it)

Cancel3
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
bullshit.

I would love to see a OK/Bama title game and a FL/TX game. Then we would see who the best conference was this year... not to mention the best team

You stated OK hadn't seen a top Def. Well, Bama hasn't seen a top offense either. Though it will in the SEC title game and in the national championship game (IF it makes it)

FL has only faced one team with a good defensive line. That was Ole Miss. Bama's D line is better.

OK does have an awesome offense. But I think Bama's D can shut it down. Then its Bama in the trenches with ball control, clock control and very few mistakes.

And I haven't seen anyone make open field tackles as well as Bama is this year. Its one of Saban's trademarks.

Cancel 2016.2
12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
FL has only faced one team with a good defensive line. That was Ole Miss. Bama's D line is better.

OK does have an awesome offense. But I think Bama's D can shut it down. Then its Bama in the trenches with ball control, clock control and very few mistakes.

And I haven't seen anyone make open field tackles as well as Bama is this year. Its one of Saban's trademarks.

Likewise... Bama has not faced an offense the caliber of OK, TX or FL... so has your powerful Defense really been tested? I agree they are great in the open field. They have a sweet D-line. But take a look at OK's O-line.... not a slacker in the bunch. They protect the QB well and they open lanes for the RBs.

Obviously the players and the games will ultimately decide who is correct between us. I like Bama and the SEC in general, but I don't think they were as tough as the Big 12 this year.

Cancel3
12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Likewise... Bama has not faced an offense the caliber of OK, TX or FL... so has your powerful Defense really been tested? I agree they are great in the open field. They have a sweet D-line. But take a look at OK's O-line.... not a slacker in the bunch. They protect the QB well and they open lanes for the RBs.

Obviously the players and the games will ultimately decide who is correct between us. I like Bama and the SEC in general, but I don't think they were as tough as the Big 12 this year.

I will agree that the Big 12 was tougher then the SEC this year, as far as having a lot of good teams.

Other than Bama & the Gators, the SEC didn't show me much this year.

I am looking forward to the games.

Cancel 2016.2
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I will agree that the Big 12 was tougher then the SEC this year, as far as having a lot of good teams.

Other than Bama & the Gators, the SEC didn't show me much this year.

I am looking forward to the games.

I agree, I am looking forward to this weekends games... as well as the big bowls late Dec, early January.

Mott the Hoople
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM

That's a very debatable statement and with out a true play off system you have no way of knowing that.

Mott the Hoople
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM

I think you can make a good argument that USC has both a better offense than Bama and a better defense.

USC's offense has the most balanced attack in all of college football and they have the best defense and they have a rarity for a college team. Depth coming off the bench.

Personally, FL and USC are probably the best two teams in the country right now. Bama would be a good match up against Penn St or OSU or Utah and would probably win.

From what I've seen, I think the team that matches up best against either Texas or OK in a bowl game would be Iowa o Ole Miss. That' how bad I think the Big 12 defenses are. There will probably be 6 or 7 Big 12 Teams invited to Bowl games and I'll be surprised if their conference does better than 1 and 6 or 2 and 5.

Cancel3
12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I think you can make a good argument that USC has both a better offense than Bama and a better defense.

USC's offense has the most balanced attack in all of college football and they have the best defense and they have a rarity for a college team. Depth coming off the bench.

Personally, FL and USC are probably the best two teams in the country right now. Bama would be a good match up against Penn St or OSU or Utah and would probably win.

From what I've seen, I think the team that matches up best against either Texas or OK in a bowl game would be Iowa o Ole Miss. That' how bad I think the Big 12 defenses are. There will probably be 6 or 7 Big 12 Teams invited to Bowl games and I'll be surprised if their conference does better than 1 and 6 or 2 and 5.

You might be able to make that argument. But only two of USC's opponents are ranked now, which is the same as Florida. And USC lost to an unranked opponent who now has an 8-4 record. Funny thing, Florida lost to an unranked team who now has an 8-4 record.

USC has a great team, but I think Florida is a better one. And after Alabama beats Florida tomorrow, that will show that Bama is better than either one.

Cancel3
12-05-2008, 06:43 PM
A tidbit that I just read, Saban has 40 different defensive formations that the team has worked on.

So without any new surprises, he can throw 40 different looks at the Gators.

Should be fun.

Mott the Hoople
12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
You might be able to make that argument. But only two of USC's opponents are ranked now, which is the same as Florida. And USC lost to an unranked opponent who now has an 8-4 record. Funny thing, Florida lost to an unranked team who now has an 8-4 record.

USC has a great team, but I think Florida is a better one. And after Alabama beats Florida tomorrow, that will show that Bama is better than either one.
To be honest, I'm not going by rankings. I'm going by what I've seen from these teams on the field and by the numbers they've compiled.

It's pretty hard to argue that any team is as good on defense right now as USC. A step down from them statistically are Florida, Bama, Penn St, Ohio State, TCU, Boise and Iowa. These are the best defenses in Div Ia. Here's an eye opener though. Not one Big 12 defense is in the top 20 and only 1, Texas, is in the top 40.

On Offense, the best offenses read as a who's who of the Big 12 but when you weigh that against the fact that there's not a single team in the Big 12 with an outstanding defense, you have to be pretty skeptical about those numbers.

If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

So that's why I think these are the 5 best teams in College

#1 Florida
#2 USC
#3 Penn St
#4 Alabama
#5 Ohio St

If any of the Big 12 teams land in the BCS championship game, it's gonna be a blow out.

Minister of Truth
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
GATORS WIN, ROLL TIDE

Mott the Hoople
12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
So the BCS should shake out like this;

BCS Championship Florida vs Oklahoma (should be another SEC route)

Rose Bowl - Penn St vs USC

Sugar Bowl - Bama vs Utah

Fiesta Bowl - Texas vs Ohio State

Orange - Va Tech vs Cincinnati

TCU, Boise St and Texas Tech will get the shaft as at large teams.

There will be more calls then ever for a play off system.

Epicurus
12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Man that was some tragic shit last night.

Cancel3
12-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Helluva game last night. It was either teams to win until the last half of the 4th quarter.

No shame in Bama's game. All those folks who had the crappy sunday after losing the game saturday? Well, its Dec 7th and its the first one of these we have had all year. Good game and a tough fight on both sides. Florida will handle OU handily.

Mott the Hoople
12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Helluva game last night. It was either teams to win until the last half of the 4th quarter.

No shame in Bama's game. All those folks who had the crappy sunday after losing the game saturday? Well, its Dec 7th and its the first one of these we have had all year. Good game and a tough fight on both sides. Florida will handle OU handily.

Yea and more screams for a play off. The Big 12 appears to be the toughest on paper but I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games will show that their rather weak this year. Look at all the one loss teams this year.

I like Dan Weitzels article for a 16 team play off. It's pretty much the way I see it. The 11 conference champions get an automatic bid with 5 at large bid and no special favoritism for Notre Dame. They can join a conference or sit out of a play off as far as I"m concerned. It also pretty much relegates the polls to what it should be, just one factor in determining at large bids and the play off seedings.

Cancel3
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Yea and more screams for a play off. The Big 12 appears to be the toughest on paper but I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games will show that their rather weak this year. Look at all the one loss teams this year.

I like Dan Weitzels article for a 16 team play off. It's pretty much the way I see it. The 11 conference champions get an automatic bid with 5 at large bid and no special favoritism for Notre Dame. They can join a conference or sit out of a play off as far as I"m concerned. It also pretty much relegates the polls to what it should be, just one factor in determining at large bids and the play off seedings.

I would love to see that playoff system in effect. If you look at the computer ratings, the human ratings, the power ratings ect ect ad nauseum, there is so much desparity that could be solved by a playoff system.

And I agree about Notre Dame.

Mott the Hoople
12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I would love to see that playoff system in effect. If you look at the computer ratings, the human ratings, the power ratings ect ect ad nauseum, there is so much desparity that could be solved by a playoff system.

And I agree about Notre Dame.

It's just a matter of time. The Bowl system just doesn't make sense in light of public demand or the economics. What other college sports program subcontracts it's most profitable products to third party vendors but Division IA football?

The BCS just continues to undermine the old Bowl Coalition. The present "plus one" format has greatly undermined the prestige of the big Bowl games, not to mention that corporate sponsorhips have diluted the brands. "The Fedex Orange Bowl" for christ's sakes.

Cancel 2016.2
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM

you are seriously smoking crack.

Missouri will beat Northwestern easily
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon
Kansas will knock off Minnesota
Nebraska will hammer Clemson
Texas Tech over Ole Miss
Texas over Ohio State
Oklahoma over Florida

Florida barely handled Bamas offense. No way do they slow down Oklahoma.

Side note.... Penn State is also going to knock off USC.... who to date has played no one.

Cancel 2016.2
12-07-2008, 11:13 PM
To be honest, I'm not going by rankings. I'm going by what I've seen from these teams on the field and by the numbers they've compiled.

It's pretty hard to argue that any team is as good on defense right now as USC. A step down from them statistically are Florida, Bama, Penn St, Ohio State, TCU, Boise and Iowa. These are the best defenses in Div Ia. Here's an eye opener though. Not one Big 12 defense is in the top 20 and only 1, Texas, is in the top 40.

On Offense, the best offenses read as a who's who of the Big 12 but when you weigh that against the fact that there's not a single team in the Big 12 with an outstanding defense, you have to be pretty skeptical about those numbers.

If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

#1 Florida
#2 USC
#3 Penn St
#4 Alabama
#5 Ohio St

If any of the Big 12 teams land in the BCS championship game, it's gonna be a blow out.

LMAO... when you go up against weak offenses week in and week out, your defense looks a hell of a lot better (see USC and Florida)

When you go up against the most prolific offenses in the country, you are going to give up points.

Cancel 2016.2
12-07-2008, 11:16 PM

LMAO... just how many of the Big 12 games have you seen this year? My guess is none. To pretend it is a weak conference is ridiculous. Unless of course you think you are more knowledgeable than all of the sportswriters and coaches in the country.

Mott the Hoople
12-08-2008, 05:57 AM

Missouri will beat Northwestern easily
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon
Kansas will knock off Minnesota
Nebraska will hammer Clemson
Texas Tech over Ole Miss
Texas over Ohio State
Oklahoma over Florida

Side note.... Penn State is also going to knock off USC.... who to date has played no one.

Well what's going to happen to these Big 12 teams when they have to play a team that actually has a defense?

There's only one Big 12 team with a defense rated in the top 40!

Time will tell but I think you're in for a big dissapointment.

Mott the Hoople
12-08-2008, 06:04 AM
LMAO... when you go up against weak offenses week in and week out, your defense looks a hell of a lot better (see USC and Florida)

When you go up against the most prolific offenses in the country, you are going to give up points.

Particularly when you don't have a defense. Florida, Ohio State, USC , Penn St and Bama all have the speed at corners to play the Big 12 offenses man to man and enough size and speed on the line to get to their QB's.

The point I'm making is that the Big 12 offensive numbers are inflated because there's no team in the conference with a decent defense.

Mott the Hoople
12-08-2008, 06:07 AM
LMAO... just how many of the Big 12 games have you seen this year? My guess is none. To pretend it is a weak conference is ridiculous. Unless of course you think you are more knowledgeable than all of the sportswriters and coaches in the country.

I didn't say it was a weak conference. I said none of their teams have a good defense. The Big 12 North is weak, the Big 12 South is strong but the top three teams are not of the same quality as Florida, USC, Bama or Penn St.

Mott the Hoople
12-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Missouri will beat Northwestern easily (Mizzou +7)
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon (Oregon +3)
Kansas will knock off Minnesota (KS +3)
Nebraska will hammer Clemson (Clemson +3)
Texas Tech over Ole Miss (Ole Miss +1, This will be really embarrasing for the Big 12 if TT gets beat by a 4 loss team, it will also prove my point if Ole Miss wins).
Texas over Ohio State (Texas +3, though that depends on which Pryor shows up.)
Oklahoma over Florida (Florida +7)

I would not be surprised either if North Western upsets Mizzou or OSU beats Texas.

Cancel 2016.2
12-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Well what's going to happen to these Big 12 teams when they have to play a team that actually has a defense?

There's only one Big 12 team with a defense rated in the top 40!

Time will tell but I think you're in for a big dissapointment.

again, when you face the highest scoring offenses in the country week in and week out, you are not going to be ranked high when it comes to scoring defenses.

Your 'thinking' is out of line with the vast majority of the country. Like you said, only time will tell. But you are nuts if you think the Big 12 is going to 1-6 or 2-5 in Bowl games. Unless you are suffering from dyslexia.

Cancel 2016.2
12-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Particularly when you don't have a defense. Florida, Ohio State, USC , Penn St and Bama all have the speed at corners to play the Big 12 offenses man to man and enough size and speed on the line to get to their QB's.

The point I'm making is that the Big 12 offensive numbers are inflated because there's no team in the conference with a decent defense.

The point is, you can say the same damn thing about the defenses in the SEC. They are inflated because they don't face any of the top offenses. Florida is the only one in the top 30.

Cancel 2016.2
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Texas Tech over Ole Miss (Ole Miss +1, This will be really embarrasing for the Big 12 if TT gets beat by a 4 loss team, it will also prove my point if Ole Miss wins).

I would not be surprised either if North Western upsets Mizzou or OSU beats Texas.

where are you getting your lines from???

Cancel 2016.2
12-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Missouri 13.5 pt favorite
Oklahoma State 3.5 pt favorite
Kansas 10 pt favorite
Texas Tech 5.5 pt favorite
Texas 10 pt favorite
Nebraska 3 pt dog
Oklahoma 3.5 pt dog

http://sportsbook.com/livesports/indexmember.php?sportsname=football

Cancel 2016.2
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
a few more days and the real bowl games begin.

TRGLDTE
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Toppy!

I'll bet you a case of (decent) beer on the Chik-Fil-A bowl! I like George Killian's Irish Red. What you say?

Cancel 2016.2
12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey Toppy!

I'll bet you a case of (decent) beer on the Chik-Fil-A bowl! I like George Killian's Irish Red. What you say?

Ga tech should win that game.

TRGLDTE
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Ga tech should win that game. Yes, and I need to amend the bet to say that I, a GT alum, am picking GT (of course), while I assume that Toppy, who runs his mouth about LSU would take that side.

Cancel7
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Isn't it funny how SF sounds the same when he is arguing sports? Everyone else is a moron, just like in politics. It's amazing!

Cancel 2016.2
12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Isn't it funny how SF sounds the same when he is arguing sports? Everyone else is a moron, just like in politics. It's amazing!

Listen woman... this is a mans thread... go back to the 'whats in the oven' thread and leave the sports talk to us men.

Damocles
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, because everybody else on the site assumes they are wrong, especially you. I hear you saying all the time how wrong you are yet you feel compelled to type it anyway. It's strange for somebody to feel like their opinion is right and then argue from that standpoint. Nobody else at all on the board does that.

(disclaimer for the humorless republicans and the democrats... this is sarcasm, I know we all believe our opinions rock and argue from that same position...)

Cancel3
12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, because everybody else on the site assumes they are wrong, especially you. I hear you saying all the time how wrong you are yet you feel compelled to type it anyway. It's strange for somebody to feel like their opinion is right and then argue from that standpoint. Nobody else at all on the board does that.

(disclaimer for the humorless republicans and the democrats... this is sarcasm, I know we all believe our opinions rock and argue from that same position...)

Sarcasm is allowed on this site? Wow, no standards at all, huh?

Cancel 2016.2
12-22-2008, 06:55 PM

yeah, she totally can't hear you man... I sent her back to the kitchen.... she has not dared return to the thread.

;)

Canceled.2016.1
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
The Big 12 is without question the best conference this year. They shall go 7-0, well maybe 6-1.... haven't yet decided if I want to let Misery win.

oh, almost forgot... USC does indeed suck... bunch of over rated little twits. A team of blind, deaf, mute midget junior high girls could beat them.

Epicurus
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
The real GOD would support the SEC. Poseur.

Cancel3
12-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Not to worry, of course the real God supports the SEC. OU will find that out next month.

Cancel 2016.2
12-23-2008, 07:24 PM

I don't think God stated he didn't like the SEC... He simply told the truth... THIS year the Big 12 is the best conference. God spoke. You should listen. I hear is is a pretty smart dude.

Cancel 2016.2
12-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Not to worry, of course the real God supports the SEC. OU will find that out next month.

Florida could hardly stop Bama's offense. OK has a better line and a far better offense.

Should be a high scoring affair. Florida 42, OK 45

Mott the Hoople
01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
The Big 12 is without question the best conference this year. They shall go 7-0, well maybe 6-1.... haven't yet decided if I want to let Misery win.

oh, almost forgot... USC does indeed suck... bunch of over rated little twits. A team of blind, deaf, mute midget junior high girls could beat them.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Pac 10 is the best conference this year. It's such a shame there's no play off. Can you imagine Florida vs USC? Instead were going to get to watch a mediocre Ohio State team beat Texas and a great Florida team annihalate OK.

Mott the Hoople
01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Florida could hardly stop Bama's offense. OK has a better line and a far better offense.

Should be a high scoring affair. Florida 42, OK 45

Say WHAT?

Hell I"m no apologist for the SEC but Alabama has the best offensive line in all of division IA.

OK has a very good offense and an, at best, mediocre defense.

It will be a high scoring affair all right.....but more like Fl 42 OK 17.

OK is not in the same league as Florida and USC.

Cancel7
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah, she totally can't hear you man... I sent her back to the kitchen.... she has not dared return to the thread.

;)

Oh I see you were talking shit about me when I wasn't around, to show off in front of your buddies. I bet you thought I'd never see this huh?

Mott the Hoople
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Missouri will beat Northwestern easily (Missou got lucky and should have lost)
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon (Oregon trounced OK State)
Kansas will knock off Minnesota (Kansas beat Minnesotta, whoop de do)
Nebraska will hammer Clemson (Nebraska played a tough game)
Texas Tech over Ole Miss (TT is currently losing to Ole Miss a 4 loss team)
Texas over Ohio State (Go Bucks!)
Oklahoma over Florida (OK is going to get stomped.)

see comments above in red.

Topspin
01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Big 12 ahh little 12 Texas tech is getting an SEC asswhoppin
Big 12 not even close to the sec. Superfreak is a gay stalker what would he know about football.

Cancel3
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
The SEC has looked awesome in the bowl games.

Except for my Tide. They suck! 21 points by Utah and Bama manages a field goal and a punt return for a TD. Our defense hasn't stopped them and our offense hasn't scored.

Saban better be doing some serious talking at halftime.

Mott the Hoople
01-03-2009, 08:06 AM
He didn't talk enough cause Bama just got a mountain westwhoopin.

Cancel3
01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
He didn't talk enough cause Bama just got a mountain westwhoopin.

We damn sure did. Utah came to play some serious football.

Cancel 2016.2
01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Mott says....

"If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

#1 Florida - should be a great game... OK wins 45-42
#2 USC - prolific defense gave up 24 points, but O looked good.... Win
#3 Penn St - prolific defense gave up 31 points..... LOST
#4 Alabama - prolific defense gave up 31 points..... LOST
#5 Ohio St - prolific defense gave up 24 points.... LOST

Cancel3
01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Mott says....

"If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

#1 Florida - should be a great game... OK wins 45-42
#2 USC - prolific defense gave up 24 points, but O looked good.... Win
#3 Penn St - prolific defense gave up 31 points..... LOST
#4 Alabama - prolific defense gave up 31 points..... LOST
#5 Ohio St - prolific defense gave up 24 points.... LOST

Nope, looks like the gators were too much for OK.

Killer Defense made the game. And Oklahoma could score against a top SEC defense.

I think this also shoots down the idea that Tebow is the 4th best QB in the country.

Topspin
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Superfreak is a retarded loaner/stalker

Cancel3
01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I guess the Big 12 offenses ain't what they claimed!

Epicurus
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Man superfreak I hope you are better at investing people's money than picking winners in the BCS.

Cancel3
01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
I am also glad that Percy Harvin wasn't healthy enough to play against us in the SEC Championship. He was pure hell last night.

Cancel 2016.2
01-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Nope, looks like the gators were too much for OK.

Killer Defense made the game. And Oklahoma could score against a top SEC defense.

I think this also shoots down the idea that Tebow is the 4th best QB in the country.

Hats off to Gators, they played a great game. But OK play calling had a lot to do with the loss. They moved up and down the field on the Gator D then slowed down and ran the ball four times inside the five...AFTER Florida brought in extra help on the D line. Stupid decision.

Still, great game. 17-14 until that friggin incredible pick. That took the wind out of the sails of OK. That Harvin kid is a phenom. Tough, quick, great hands. Whenever he decides to go pro.... some team is going to have a hell of pick.

Cancel 2016.2
01-09-2009, 08:59 AM

and the Big 12 DEFENSE? The one that everyone said didn't exist? I don't recall Florida crushing OK as some predicted. I also don't recall FL putting up a lot of points. OK defense came to play.

Mott the Hoople
01-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Just like I said. OK and Texas are good teams but not great. Texas came within 16 seconds of losing to the Buckeyes and this wasn't exactly the best Buckeye's team I've seen.

Topspin
01-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Texas lost 1 game on a last second miracle play. Ohio slow got ass raped by USC and lost to Penn state and Texas. And despite coming close they are way better than Ohio slow.

Mott the Hoople
01-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Texas lost 1 game on a last second miracle play. Ohio slow got ass raped by USC and lost to Penn state and Texas. And despite coming close they are way better than Ohio slow.

They didn't exactly show that on the field. Ohio State proved my point. The Big 12 was over rated this year.

BTW, I bet 3 games against the spread on the Big 12 and won all 3. I bet on Florida, OSU and Oregon. :-P

SEC wasn't nearly as good as they were last year but we don't have a tournament to prove that, unfortunately.

Well the SEC will never completely have my respect until they show they can play the game outside of their back yard.

Topspin
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM
lol THAT'S first class crying

the whole world knows the SEC dominates but crying buckeyes need their towels.

Cancel3
01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
They didn't exactly show that on the field. Ohio State proved my point. The Big 12 was over rated this year.

BTW, I bet 3 games against the spread on the Big 12 and won all 3. I bet on Florida, OSU and Oregon. :-P

SEC wasn't nearly as good as they were last year but we don't have a tournament to prove that, unfortunately.

Well the SEC will never completely have my respect until they show they can play the game outside of their back yard.

The last two years Alabama has scheduled Clemson and FL State. These schedules are written years in advance. We didn't know those two teams would suck.

This year, the SEC teams:

Arkansas had Texas @ Texas.

Georgia had Arizona State @ ASU

Florida played Hawaii and Miami.

TN played UCLA @ UCLA

SC played Clemson @ Clemson

So we play big name teams from all over and go all over. The fact that, in any given year, more of our conference is ranked than is unranked means we have plenty of tough games.

Ohio State played Youngstown State, Troy, and Purdue, all at home. So its not as if you didn't have your share of cushy games.

This "you don't play any good non-conference teams" is simply nonsense.

And just as an FYI, as long as the SEC is winning more bowls and NC than anyone else, your "complete respect" is probably not much of a goal.

Mott the Hoople
01-11-2009, 03:27 PM
The last two years Alabama has scheduled Clemson and FL State. These schedules are written years in advance. We didn't know those two teams would suck.

This year, the SEC teams:

Arkansas had Texas @ Texas.

Georgia had Arizona State @ ASU

Florida played Hawaii and Miami.

TN played UCLA @ UCLA

SC played Clemson @ Clemson

So we play big name teams from all over and go all over. The fact that, in any given year, more of our conference is ranked than is unranked means we have plenty of tough games.

Ohio State played Youngstown State, Troy, and Purdue, all at home. So its not as if you didn't have your share of cushy games.

This "you don't play any good non-conference teams" is simply nonsense.

And just as an FYI, as long as the SEC is winning more bowls and NC than anyone else, your "complete respect" is probably not much of a goal.

Who said anything about non-conferance or cushy schedules. I was talking about the SEC playing Bowl games in their back yards. Playing in the shoe in winter is nothing to laugh. Ya'll should come up and try it some time.

Mott the Hoople
01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
and that's something to Give OSU kudos about. We're not afraid to schedule an away game at Southern California or Texas but SEC teams won't schedule non-conferance games with OSU because the refuse to schedule home and home games with the Buckeyes. At least USC and Texas have the balls to do that.

Why won't SEC teams come up North to play? What are they afraid of?

Cancel3
01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
and that's something to Give OSU kudos about. We're not afraid to schedule an away game at Southern California or Texas but SEC teams won't schedule non-conferance games with OSU because the refuse to schedule home and home games with the Buckeyes. At least USC and Texas have the balls to do that.

Why won't SEC teams come up North to play? What are they afraid of?

First you talk about how hard it is to play up north, then you talk about OSU playing at USC and at Texas. Not exactly snow central, are they?

The cold is tough to play in. But the heat & humidity will knock a player out quicker. And playing in August and September in the south will take more out of a team.

But you want to know why we don't come north to play? Because we don't have to.

Topspin
01-12-2009, 06:25 AM
you got your ass handed to you and it is a moral victory that OHIO SLOW wasn't afraid to go there. Tulane wasn't afraid to play BAMA and did ok. OHIO slow is a little better than Tulane. LOL