PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Bbc News Reports

toby
07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Americans 'too fat for x-rays'

Some scans are unable to penetrate the excess fat
Increasing numbers of Americans are becoming too fat to fit into X-ray machines, US researchers report.
The nation's rising obesity problems mean many citizens are not only too large for scanners but they have too much fat for the rays to penetrate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219884.stm

What a bunch of crap. They indicate that CT scans, ultrasound and x rays are all alike. Try again!

To big to fit into an xray machine? Maybe they have different machines in the UK but every xray machine I have seen you don't have to fit into.

You would have to be at least 1500 pounds to not be able to fit into a CT Scanner.

maybe people are to fat, but don't make something out of nothing.

charver
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Shouldn't that be "Stupid Radiological Society of North America"? It's their findings they're reporting.

Damocles
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I think they are making excuses so doctors don't get sued when the fat people die.

toby
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
maybe Charver it should be. Thanks.

charver
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Whatever happened to the good old days when girls would psychologically bully each other until they developed eating disorders and boys would just throw stones at the fat kid?

toby
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Charver, And you link to that site that is not included in this article would be helpful. Do you have it?

toby
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Charver where is that noted in this article? Here is the article.

Increasing numbers of Americans are becoming too fat to fit into X-ray machines, US researchers report.
The nation's rising obesity problems mean many citizens are not only too large for scanners but they have too much fat for the rays to penetrate.

Over the past 15 years, the number of failed scans linked to patient obesity has doubled, Radiology journal reports.

The problem is not confined to scanners. UK hospitals have had to make their beds stronger for obese patients.

Sadly, in the UK we are following in their wake

Dr Colin Wayne of the UK's National Obesity Forum

And airlines are designing aircraft to carry heavier loads because passengers are becoming plumper.

Dr Raul Uppot and colleagues, who work in radiology at Massachusetts General Hospital, had noticed that they were seeing more and more patients whose weight prevented them from having medical scans.

He and his team decided to look back at radiology reports between 1989 and 2003 to see the extent of the problem.

Missed diagnoses

Year on year they saw a small but significant increase in the number of scans that had to be abandoned because the patient was too fat.

Ultrasound images were affected the most because the sound waves need to penetrate the skin and fatty tissue before reaching the organs being examined.

The study authors warned that important diagnoses could be missed if people could not be scanned.

The US government says 64% of the population are overweight.

Dr Colin Wayne of the UK's National Obesity Forum said the UK was showing a similar trend.

"The obesity rates in the US have been going up relentlessly. Sadly, in the UK we are following in their wake.

"The UK is now the fastest growing country in Europe for rising obesity.

"It's worrying if people can't get the necessary investigations. But that is just the tip of the iceberg. It is the epidemic of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases that will follow in the wake of obesity that is even more worrying."

Professor Adrian Dixon of the Royal College of Radiologists said: "It is a real problem and it is getting worse. People are getting fatter."

"One may not be able to offer the obese patient the best possible imaging test because of their weight," he added

charver
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Charver, And you link to that site that is not included in this article would be helpful. Do you have it?

Well in the BBC thing it says "US researchers report". There's a link to "Radiology" magazine on the right hand side of the page.

"Radiology" is the organ of the Radiological Society of North America.

I'm not going looking thorough a radiology magazine for you, no.

toby
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
So you admit you are full of crap with that response? That there is no link as you suggested? Like I said, this article is crap.

charver
07-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Whether the article is crap or not is a subjective opinion. I have no particular view, either way. If you want to know definitively then contact the BBC and ask them where they got their report from.

toby
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Charver you site said>>>Results: There was a significant difference (P < .001) between the weight of patients with habitus-limited reports and the weight of patients with reports that were not habitus limited. Overall, 7778 (0.15%) of 5 253 014 reports were habitus limited. Between 1989 and 2003, there was a linear increase of 0.010% per year (95% confidence interval: 0.007%, 0.013%; P < .001). There was a positive correlation between the increased number of habitus-limited reports and the increased prevalence of obese individuals in Massachusetts between 1991 and 2001. The modality most commonly associated with habitus-limited reports was abdominal ultrasonography.

let's see a .01 uncrease in one plan in one state with how many patients? LOL

See my point? The story is worthless and a lie on its face value.

toby
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
My point is this was a bull shit story and if you ask a couple of questions you have to wonder why the story was so far off the facts.

charver
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
OK mate, calm down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ifs/hi/newsid_4000000/newsid_4000500/4000529.stm

Complain here.

toby
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I am calm, just pointing out the deception of the media.

AnyOldIron
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Roflmao! A little sensitive aren't you toby?

Are you a bit of a bloater?

toby
07-29-2006, 07:11 AM
No Any it is called having a discussion. Try it sometime.

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 07:15 AM
No Any it is called having a discussion. Try it sometime.

This is a typical toby non-discussion.

You are rantng about the BBC reporting findings from a third party.

Do you disagree that obesity is a major medical problem in the western world?

toby
07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I didn't indicate that obesity was not a problem. I was complaining about the falsehood and misreprentation in this one article. It was way over the top.

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I didn't indicate that obesity was not a problem. I was complaining about the falsehood and misreprentation in this one article. It was way over the top.

What falsehood?

They are merely reporting the findings of a third party.

A usual toby non-argument, all blustre and no substance.

toby
07-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Try to read and understand the words of the post Any.

I said>>>They indicate that CT scans, ultrasound and x rays are all alike. Try again!

To big to fit into an xray machine? Maybe they have different machines in the UK but every xray machine I have seen you don't have to fit into.

You would have to be at least 1500 pounds to not be able to fit into a CT Scanner.

I cut and pasted from the study to prove my point.

You Any are the one who is not making a rational discussion.

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey Charver! What the hell tartan is that, anyway? I thought I recognized it but I was wrong.

charver
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Charver! What the hell tartan is that, anyway? I thought I recognized it but I was wrong.

It's the Burberry house check.

It's all linked to the the 'charver/chav' thing. Burberry being the uniform of the charver.

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Toby, you must be incredibly slow or have comprehension problems.

It is saying thatthe current designs of xray machines, cat scans etc are too small for the ever more obese public.

It is true that some radiographical machines aren't restricted by size, such as those used to xray teeth etc but of those machines that are restricted, the ever more obese size of the public is causing a problem...

OrnotBitwise
07-29-2006, 11:55 AM
It's the Burberry house check.

It's all linked to the the 'charver/chav' thing. Burberry being the uniform of the charver.
Oh. Well, I had to ask. I've learned something today, even if I'm Brittneyed as to what it really means.

Should I consign my Burberry raincoat to the Salvation Army or can I still wear it in public?

toby
07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
You are not paying attention Any. Note the study... over 14 year period and over 5 million scans there were 7000 that noted some point about fat. Those numbers don't justify this story.

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
You are not paying attention Any. Note the study... over 14 year period and over 5 million scans there were 7000 that noted some point about fat. Those numbers don't justify this story.

Then it is the study you are arguing against, not the BBC.

They didn't conduct the study, they are reporting on another body's study as they do with a great many studies...

tinfoil
07-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Then it is the study you are arguing against, not the BBC.

They didn't conduct the study, they are reporting on another body's study as they do with a great many studies...

Nice cop out. The BBC article is titled "Americans 'too fat for x-rays'"
I have to agree with Toby. This is just the lame ass BBC doing a little america bashing. Brits are getting just as fat. And you people can't take the heat either. Pussies. OMG it got to 90 degrees!!! We're all going to die!!!

AnyOldIron
07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
If you could read beyond the headline you would note...

"Increasing numbers of Americans are becoming too fat to fit into X-ray machines, US researchers report. "

This states that the concern in the increase in numbers, reiterated by this...

"Over the past 15 years, the number of failed scans linked to patient obesity has doubled, Radiology journal reports"

It also states that the problem is coming over here too..

"The obesity rates in the US have been going up relentlessly. Sadly, in the UK we are following in their wake."

Is a little comprehension too much to ask?

If the BBC wanted to bash America it wouldn't bother with this but with the US government's unswerving support for Israeli terrorism.

As for the heatwave, we all loved it. From what I hear it is Californians that are dropping dead in numbers due to the heat. They must be pussies then?

katzgar
04-07-2019, 12:08 PM

The nation's rising obesity problems mean many citizens are not only too large for scanners but they have too much fat for the rays to penetrate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219884.stm

What a bunch of crap. They indicate that CT scans, ultrasound and x rays are all alike. Try again!

The BBC likes to pander to the British hate America crowd