PDA

View Full Version : NBA Predictions?

TheDanold
10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
So, who's gonna win it this year? Miami again?
I really think Dallas has what it takes if they can control the whining.
The Danold's teams: Cavaliers, Suns, Jazz

Please, no comments about college basketball being better, you may as well say that the minor leagues are better than the major leagues...

uscitizen
10-04-2006, 05:34 AM
No college ball is not better, they both equally suck ;)
I predict that there will be winners and losers. And I will bet money on that.

Immanuel
10-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Who cares?

Immie

Prakosh
10-04-2006, 07:32 AM
So, who's gonna win it this year? Miami again?
I really think Dallas has what it takes if they can control the whining.
The Danold's teams: Cavaliers, Suns, Jazz

Please, no comments about college basketball being better, you may as well say that the minor leagues are better than the major leagues...

Competitive Sports are a good training ground for the major aspects of competitive capitalism. There is a reason that the liberal New York Times has the Sports pages at the end of the Business Section...They are both advocating the same value system...Competiton is Natural and Winning is everything...Neither of which is valid.

TheDanold
10-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Competitive Sports are a good training ground for the major aspects of competitive capitalism. There is a reason that the liberal New York Times has the Sports pages at the end of the Business Section...They are both advocating the same value system...Competiton is Natural and Winning is everything...Neither of which is valid.
I don't get your final insinuation, do you view competition as a negative thing?

Prakosh
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't get your final insinuation, do you view competition as a negative thing?

I didn't think you would; it was actually written for those who could...

TheDanold
10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I didn't think you would; it was actually written for those who could...
Just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Well if competition is not natural then explain how the basic premise of evolution is false?

Competition means ensuring the best that man or people or businesses or animals or teams or whatever rises to the top, it encourages all to give their best and live their best.

Here is one the deepest philosophical reasons I oppose Liberalism.

Throughout 4 billion years of history on earth, all life has existed and come to be what it is on one very basic principle, evolution.
Evolution defined as adapting to change to the challenges of your environment.

If you look at what Liberalism is, it is things like saying:
"You can't pay your own retirement, government will do it for you"
"You can't pay your own health care, government will do it for you"
"You can't pay your own education, government will do it for you"

Thus Liberalism or the government they promote by its very nature adapts the environment to fit the individual.
Liberalism does not ask or let the individual change, it steps in and changes the environment to fit the person.

Thus, by that definition, Liberalism runs counter to the very rule of evolution in life itself.
Liberalism runs against the very nature of life itself.

It is this one chief instinct, I believe, that often gets Conservatism mistaken as ignorance. A Conservative feels something wrong when Liberals propose to have government take over a responsibility. It just doesn't feel right and I believe that there is an instinct inside all of us that tries to repel us or caution us against the false comfort of having something else take responsibility for you.
I think Liberals feel that too, just they choose to ignore it and 'jump in' to letting government do things, in the comfort of avoiding competition.

Liberalism thus becomes a drug, wherein once you have chosen to ignore that instinct, there is no limit to what government can do. And you see that in the neverending march to 'free' healthcare, 'free' education,
'free' drugs bills and so on forever. It is a road that never ends, but has to someday with the ultimate creation of life, mankind reduced to nothing more than a being born into a life of dependance with government healthcare, daycare, education and retirement.
Where a being can live and die never feeling freedom and just total dependance, blissfully unaware of the government matrix that controls all stages of his life.

Tell me you can read that and still believe in Liberalism...

OrnotBitwise
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
The Warriors will still suck, though they will be a bit better at it than last year. Montgomery had no experience with sucking and so didn't know what to do with a team that can only suck. They sucked ineptly therefore.

Now, Nellie knows how to suck. He's got sucking down. He may even know how to stop sucking, too, but that's a year or two down the road.

It's even possible that the team won't suck quite as often as the Kings. That will be a switch!

uscitizen
10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Umm there will be a lot of dribblin and running, some will win and some will lose.

klaatu
10-12-2006, 10:44 AM
damn ... how did a simple sports thread based on such a simple time of the year question evovle with such political intensity? :)

uscitizen
10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I dunno, but my prediction is accurate.
Dano sure went on a rant though :)

OrnotBitwise
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
damn ... how did a simple sports thread based on such a simple time of the year question evovle with such political intensity? :)Dano's hate for liberals trumps all other concerns. It's pathological, in fact.

I almost hope that Hillary is elected president just so we can watch the meltdown. His head might explode though: that would be no fun.

:D

Damocles
10-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Dano's hate for liberals trumps all other concerns. It's pathological, in fact.

I almost hope that Hillary is elected president just so we can watch the meltdown. His head might explode though: that would be no fun.

I think the reaction would be just as fun to Jeb Bush getting elected as Pres....

OrnotBitwise
10-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I think the reaction would be just as fun to Jeb Bush getting elected as Pres....

Hey, you got your jollies that way in 2000. It's our freakin' turn to laugh at people chewing the furniture.

TRGLDTE
10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Umm there will be a lot of dribblin and running, some will win and some will lose.and the season will be too long.

TheDanold
10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
The Warriors will still suck, though they will be a bit better at it than last year. Montgomery had no experience with sucking and so didn't know what to do with a team that can only suck. They sucked ineptly therefore.

Now, Nellie knows how to suck. He's got sucking down. He may even know how to stop sucking, too, but that's a year or two down the road.

It's even possible that the team won't suck quite as often as the Kings. That will be a switch!
It really depends if the Baron can finally stay healthy. 2 years ago he was the MVP for the first month or 2 of the season.

Blackflag
10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
NBA suxxors

ProfDanoVonManough
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Warriors are doing great, Nellie has been vindicated as a great coach. It's too bad it wasn't this easy to show how Liberals like yourself are wrong in political predictions too.

TRGLDTE
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I predict that I don't give a F@(k.

Cancel7
04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I predict that I don't give a F@(k.

Well, there's something we can definitely agree on.

uscitizen
04-24-2007, 06:01 AM
NBA means No Basketball Anymore ?

Dalai_Lama
04-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I'd whip them all!

uscitizen
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
NBA= No Bushes Anymore ? I am a real fan of that now.

Damocles
04-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Competition is not only natural, but in its finest form it becomes cooperation.

Competition starts in the very first moments of life as the first cells compete for the chemical "food" that will change them either into Neurons, or Support cells. During this stage cells have even developed chemicals that they release that will keep other cells from grabbing the valuable chemicals that they are using to feed themselves, to change from a stem cell to a specified cell, thus it settles the strongest to become the neurons, the weaker support cells.

To say that it is unnatural to compete denies almost all forms of life in study and to misunderstand it so completely that it becomes a negative in itself, rather than in its application, is denying the nature of life itself let alone human nature. To deny it in the beginning stages of a human life will create a situation where either competition becomes prevalent in its negative applications as they were not taught the different forms, or an unsettled human unable to compete even on the simplest levels standing in confusion as they find they are constantly removed from the positions that they value, but have not the tools to reach them.

Now we can get into whether competition can be cooperation. Outside of team sports it is in an ecosystem is where you will find the best examples of this. Or the easiest to see. Plants fight for the most light, using that same chemical warfare, or simply using height to get the most. However, the taller plants often cannot survive without the other plants that are competing with them. This happens with predator/prey as well. And even within predator packs and prey herds themselves.

Attempting to simplify competition and make it always negative simply denies a far more complicated precept of life, and begins to deny facts of existence for an extreme view. Such as Utopia, Communism, and for those on the extreme right Anarchism, or a true "free market" economy.

Governments compete to be the first to space, the first to the next step in medical science, the first to the best and most efficient military... Each of these brings forward scientific advances that if left to a total free market economy would take much longer to be brought forward, many would never come to bear because the cost-basis would not be profitable in a foreseeable future. This too can be cooperation in the end as it advances more than just the government itself, and benefits far more than the one society.

It is far more complicated than just saying, "Competition is not natural." which isn't even reality, there is no evidence that any life would have evolved above a single cell without competition. Competition is more than natural it is the basis of evolution, of how we became complex organisms to begin with. To deny competition in nature is beyond odd, it denies reality.

In a team, as in the NBA, environment there is competition within the team as well as between teams. Each competes for the valued positions, this makes the entire team better and again presents another example of cooperation within competition. Each works together to become better as a whole as well as better as an individual, just as in the predator pack mentioned above, and this benefits the entire team/pack.

To say that there is no benefit in any competition or that there has been nothing gained positive from economic competition prevalent in a capitalistic society denies proven success. Is there something better? Probably. Will it include competition? Even more probably.

OrnotBitwise
04-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Warriors are doing great, Nellie has been vindicated as a great coach. It's too bad it wasn't this easy to show how Liberals like yourself are wrong in political predictions too.I'm glad to be wrong, in this instance. Still, you have to admit that they sucked for most of the season. Pulled it out in the last month, it's true, and that's about two years ahead of my predicted schedule, but suck they did.

Here's another prediction for you. Now that they've successfully recovered from that embarrassing tantrum and implosion on Wednesday, I think they will take the Mavs to at least 6 games. I honestly don't think they're going to advance but they do match up well against Dallas.

A win tonight and a tossup on Sunday.

:clink:

OrnotBitwise
04-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Did I call that one or what? The Mavs looked like trees out there.

:hedb:

Of course, now the Warriors are due for another meltdown from overconfidence. Young teams do that sort of thing.

Dallas on Sunday. I hope I'm wrong, naturally, but if I were betting money . . . .

OrnotBitwise
05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Warriors are doing great, Nellie has been vindicated as a great coach. It's too bad it wasn't this easy to show how Liberals like yourself are wrong in political predictions too.Yep, I was wrong again. Couldn't be happier about it, either. :p

Wave high your foam "We're No. 8" fingers, Warriors fans.

You're riding a miracle.

Half of Hollywood turned out Thursday night at Oracle Arena to watch the final installment of that blockbuster hit, "Honey, I Shrunk the Mavericks."

And this is only the beginning.

The Warriors blew the Mavs out of the gym and the series with a 111-86 win, and don't bother looking for a more thrillingly-improbable moment in Bay Area sports. This was it.

Yes, the Mavericks were literally 86'd.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/04/OSTLER.TMP

OrnotBitwise
05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Note to the Warriors: game 5 of round 2 is not a good time at which to try cryogenically storing your "shot."

uscitizen
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
My NBA predictions.
Players will be paid a lot of money.
Games will be won and lost.
Taxes will be spent on stadiums for them.
Individuals will yell scream and spend lots of money on them.
A few will die while driving to or from one of their games.
We will do it all over again next year.

Texas Cardinal
06-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Spurs all the way.

Thorn
06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Spurs. The Cavs will make a surprisingly good show, but they don't have the experience, and they still are essentially relying on just one player.

Texas Cardinal
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Halfway there...

Texas Cardinal
06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Three quarters of the way there...

Thorn
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Swept and done! :clink: