PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Show on TV?

OrnotBitwise
07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Not a poll since I'm not familiar enough with all the options. I'm just curious -- or nosey, if you prefer. Note that I said "funniest" not "best." I'm talking about what makes us laugh not lasting artistic merit or any such lofty thing.

For me, it's Mythbusters. Those clowns crack me up every time. What a great gig that would be!

Cypress
07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Simpsons.

In its day, Seinfeld was the funniest.

BRUTALITOPS
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
arrested development.

But now it's done :/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/

Also on Grind's List:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Family Guy
The Office (Brit Version)

I don't think simpsons is very funny anymore, back in the old days it was..

Timshel
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
My Name is Earl... but I am curious whether the second season will be any good.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a riot.
American Dad, Family Guy, Simpsons and South Park are all great.

Timshel
07-27-2006, 10:10 PM
arrested development.

Yeah, that was a good show.

IHateGovernment
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Mythbusters is funny, Simpsons are still fairly funny but are outshone by their earlier days. Southpark remains funny usually.....and Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever followed by married with children which are actually the only funny sitcoms that exist. Chappelle show was comic genius.

I also enjoy American Dad, Family Guy, Robot chicken, and Moral Orel.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Flava of Love by far.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Funniest Sitcoms:

Curb your Enthusiam (A recent discovery of mine)
My Name is Earl
The Office

Topspin
07-28-2006, 11:05 AM
2 1/2 men & last comic standing

Damocles
07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Family Guy

charver
07-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Over here, there is absolutely nothing. No decent sit-coms, nothing funny at all, zero (not counting repeats, of course).

If it weren't for our sunny optimistic outlook and great weather, we'd all be suicidal.

Damocles
07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Over here, there is absolutely nothing. No decent sit-coms, nothing funny at all, zero (not counting repeats, of course).

If it weren't for our sunny optimistic outlook and great weather, we'd all be suicidal.

All they have to do is show the repeat of that MP dancing in tights with the transexual dude... I'd be laughing every time.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey charver, I really liked this British export called, "The Robinsons", but they stopped playing it over here. I liked that, Coupling & The Office. Unfortunately I started watching this stupid show called Hex because they had pretty good previews, but its turning out to be an utter waste fo time.

klaatu
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Curb your Enthusiam .. its hilarious ...

charver
07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey charver, I really liked this British export called, "The Robinsons", but they stopped playing it over here. I liked that, Coupling & The Office. Unfortunately I started watching this stupid show called Hex because they had pretty good previews, but its turning out to be an utter waste fo time.

I had to go and look up 'The Robinsons'. It kind of passed me by. We can produce good stuff but at the minute its the summer season and everyone's preparing stuff for release for Autumn/Winter. Our Summer is usually that short, everyone takes the opportunity to get out while there's a brief break in the rain.

The thing is, most of our stuff is very parochial and difficult to export, apparently. For example, there's something called 'Phoenix Nights' which was excellent, but i doubt the US will ever show it, due to it being set in a Northern English working man's club. Have a look at 'Peep Show' if you ever get a chance (or on youtube) it is top stuff.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Curb your Enthusiam .. its hilarious ...

I agree. I didn't discover that show until a few months ago. Ever since I've watched every episode on Demand religiously. Did you see the one with the racist dog and lesbians?

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I had to go and look up 'The Robinsons'. It kind of passed me by. We can produce good stuff but at the minute its the summer season and everyone's preparing stuff for release for Autumn/Winter. Our Summer is usually that short, everyone takes the opportunity to get out while there's a brief break in the rain.

The thing is, most of our stuff is very parochial and difficult to export, apparently. For example, there's something called 'Phoenix Nights' which was excellent, but i doubt the US will ever show it, due to it being set in a Northern English working man's club. Have a look at 'Peep Show' if you ever get a chance (or on youtube) it is top stuff.

BBC America kind of sucks to be honest. I feel like they always only show "Are you Being Served" and that antique show. You can only take but so much of that. I do really like the comedies I mentioned earlier though. We get a kick out of the US version of "The Office" because its based in Scranton, PA and we have a business out there.

Beefy
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree. I didn't discover that show until a few months ago. Ever since I've watched every episode on Demand religiously. Did you see the one with the racist dog and lesbians?

Curb rules. My best pal kept telling me over and over how much he loved the show, and I was like "meh". Thein I tivod a bunch of them and cracked the hell up. I love it.

charver
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
BBC America kind of sucks to be honest. I feel like they always only show "Are you Being Served" and that antique show. You can only take but so much of that. I do really like the comedies I mentioned earlier though. We get a kick out of the US version of "The Office" because its based in Scranton, PA and we have a business out there.

I know what you mean about 'Are You Being Served?'. It simply refuses to die. If i switch the satellite on now i'll have, at least, an 83% chance of finding it somewhere. It's very reminiscent of the Living Dead.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Curb rules. My best pal kept telling me over and over how much he loved the show, and I was like "meh". Thein I tivod a bunch of them and cracked the hell up. I love it.

I had some tell me about the show a few years ago and I shrugged it off, but like you, I watched a few episodes in a row, and now I'm hooked. LD is a comedic genious.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I know what you mean about 'Are You Being Served?'. It simply refuses to die. If i switch the satellite on now i'll have, at least, an 83% chance of finding it somewhere. It's very reminiscent of the Living Dead.

LOL, can I make a confession, I don't even know what its about, I know the two to three seconds that its on my screen I can't stand it being there.

Damocles
07-28-2006, 12:49 PM

And it is so very painful to watch... Thankfully it isn't a very good example of Brit Comedy.

klaatu
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM

I was (still am) a big Sienfeld fan .. and you can really see the genius behind Sienfeld by watching Curb. I had the same experience.. a friend kept telling me to watch it ..and I finally did .. and yes the Lesbian/Dog episode is classic .. lol

HBO is the best .. Im lookin forward to the new season of Rome ....

charver
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
LOL, can I make a confession, I don't even know what its about, I know the two to three seconds that its on my screen I can't stand it being there.

Invariably, every episode revolves around cramming in as many references to an elderly woman's cat as possible, in an attempt to mislead the audience that they are actually referencing a different kind of 'pussy' altogether. Sheer genius.

Oscar Wilde, eat your heart out.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I was (still am) a big Sienfeld fan .. and you can really see the genius behind Sienfeld by watching Curb. I had the same experience.. a friend kept telling me to watch it ..and I finally did .. and yes the Lesbian/Dog episode is classic .. lol

HBO is the best .. Im lookin forward to the new season of Rome ....

I know! If you're a seinfeld fan, this show is great. The thing is, George was always my favorite character and I feel like he parodies him a lot in the show. Sheer genius.

LadyT
07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Invariably, every episode revolves around cramming in as many references to an elderly woman's cat as possible, in an attempt to mislead the audience that they are actually referencing a different kind of 'pussy' altogether. Sheer genius.

I'll take you're word for it. I don't think I'll be verifying that one anytime soon.

Damocles
07-28-2006, 01:09 PM

That and references to the skinny guy's gayness... Definitely genius.

charver
07-28-2006, 01:13 PM
That and references to the skinny guy's gayness... Definitely genius.

Then 'Fawlty Towers' came along and ruined everything.

maineman
07-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Curb your enthusiasm - current
seinfeld - all time

OrnotBitwise
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Sadly, I'm missing both the Larry-David-is-funny gene and the Seinfeld-is-funny gene. I know I'm in the minority, especially on that last. Oh well. My brother's left-handed so maybe that's why?

:confused:

klaatu
07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Sadly, I'm missing both the Larry-David-is-funny gene and the Seinfeld-is-funny gene. I know I'm in the minority, especially on that last. Oh well. My brother's left-handed so maybe that's why?

:confused:

Thats ok.. because I never got the funny off of Monty Python ... while all my friends were rolling on the floor ... I was going huh?

Now SCTV ... that was funny .....

Timshel
07-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Have any of you seen, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's on Fx Thursday's at 10.

BRUTALITOPS
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I know! If you're a seinfeld fan, this show is great. The thing is, George was always my favorite character and I feel like he parodies him a lot in the show. Sheer genius.

character of george was always based off of larry david.. and in curb larry basically plays himself... so there you go.