PDA

View Full Version : College Football?

Cancel3
06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
College football starts in about two months.

Anyone have any predictions?

Ohio State is ranked #1 again. Anyone care to predict which SEC team beats them in the bowl?

TRGLDTE
06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
College football starts in about two months.

Anyone have any predictions?

Ohio State is ranked #1 again. Anyone care to predict which SEC team beats them in the bowl?

Ummm, NONE!

Topspin
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Just that it's not even questionable that with 2 BCS championships LSU is by far the best program. And we have the fastest player in the history of college football.

Cancel3
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Just that it's not even questionable that with 2 BCS championships LSU is by far the best program. And we have the fastest player in the history of college football.

If Georgia had played all of their season like they did the second half last year, it would have been a much better SEC Championship.

I think it will either be GA & LSU or GA & UA in the SEC Championship this year.

And if the Bulldogs run their schedule undefeated, they will destroy anyone they play in a bowl game.

Two years ago Florida ruined OSU's season. Last year LSU ruined OSU's season. I am betting Georgia ruins it this year.

But LSU is certainly the top team to date.

Topspin
06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Georgia is going to be LSU' toughest game, luckily it's at home.
Ohio Slow will not get in again, because they will tank and look as weak as a pac 10 team.

Epicurus
06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
If Georgia had played all of their season like they did the second half last year, it would have been a much better SEC Championship.

I think it will either be GA & LSU or GA & UA in the SEC Championship this year.

And if the Bulldogs run their schedule undefeated, they will destroy anyone they play in a bowl game.

Two years ago Florida ruined OSU's season. Last year LSU ruined OSU's season. I am betting Georgia ruins it this year.

But LSU is certainly the top team to date.

UA just lost Jimmy Johns.

He decided it would be a good idea to sell cocaine to undercover officers 5 different times.

UA will be good still this year under Saban but it hurts to lose JJ.

Cancel3
06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
UA just lost Jimmy Johns.

He decided it would be a good idea to sell cocaine to undercover officers 5 different times.

UA will be good still this year under Saban but it hurts to lose JJ.

Losing JJ will hurt. We were already thin on defense, thats why he was transfered to the D side of the ball.

This year we will be in the hunt for the SEC West. Next year we will be in the top 10.

Topspin
06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Georgia rules the west with Marino, Stafford, and company.

TRGLDTE
06-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Georgia rules the west with Marino, Stafford, and company. And the Georgia program does an excellent job of keeping the players away from trouble.

Epicurus
06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Do they do anything significantly different than the other programs or do you just like the way that sounds?

TRGLDTE
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Do they do anything significantly different than the other programs or do you just like the way that sounds? Considering I am NOT a UGA fan - TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! - it's rather a compliment.

Cancel3
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Georgia rules the west with Marino, Stafford, and company.

Are you suggesting that Georgia will beat whoever they play in the SEC championship? If so, I agree.

If you are suggesting that Georgia will win the SEC West, I'd have to correct you.

Topspin
06-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm suggesting the win the right to play mighty LSU, I would never give it to the Dwags ahead of time.

Cancel3
06-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm suggesting the win the right to play mighty LSU, I would never give it to the Dwags ahead of time.

Good deal. I was hoping you weren't an idiot.

Dixie - In Memoriam
06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
ROLL TIDE!

This will be Bama's year. They may not win a NC, but they will be contenders.

I don't think losing Johns hurts us a bit, he was not a factor last season, and we are good in that position. It will be interesting to see if Saban elects to play some of his freshmen studs or redshirt them, he has a nice stable coming up. Look for JPW to be a much improved QB this year, the Hoover scandal is over now, and he can focus on his game. Opening with Clemson is a little tough, but I like starting off with a tough game, it lets us know right off what we have and what we need to fix. Besides, Clemson... it's like Auburn Lite. ;)

Cancel3
06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
ROLL TIDE!

This will be Bama's year. They may not win a NC, but they will be contenders.

I don't think losing Johns hurts us a bit, he was not a factor last season, and we are good in that position. It will be interesting to see if Saban elects to play some of his freshmen studs or redshirt them, he has a nice stable coming up. Look for JPW to be a much improved QB this year, the Hoover scandal is over now, and he can focus on his game. Opening with Clemson is a little tough, but I like starting off with a tough game, it lets us know right off what we have and what we need to fix. Besides, Clemson... it's like Auburn Lite. ;)

The only reason we needed Johns was that we need linebackers. We lost a lot of top performers on defense.

Wilson will be much improved if he learned his lesson last year. He started believing his press clippings and started getting a big head. He has the talent, but he is also a 3rd year starter who is on his 3rd offensive coordinator.

I am looking forward to seeing Terrence Cody on the field. 6'5" and 395 lbs is a lotta defensive lineman. He will have to be double-teamed and that leaves someone free.

This will be a better year than last year, thats for sure. But next year we will be in the top 10, and possibly playing for #1.

Topspin
06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
was Johns the stud freshman Linebacker.
JPW better show something this year, did his daddy purchase a building on Bama's campus.
Clemson might tap that ass if your not carefull.

Cancel3
06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
was Johns the stud freshman Linebacker.
JPW better show something this year, did his daddy purchase a building on Bama's campus.
Clemson might tap that ass if your not carefull.

Johns was a gifted athlete. He would have made a good linebacker. He had the speed.

But someone will step up. We will have to use some freshmen, but someone will step up.

Clemson is a worry, but not the biggest one I have. I am more worried about playing at Georgia than anything else.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
IF he was your top lB last year your in serious trouble.

Cancel3
06-30-2008, 07:30 AM
IF he was your top lB last year your in serious trouble.

He hadn't played linebacker yet. He was moved during spring practices. He played some linebacker in high school, so it wasn't a complete change for him.

No, last year we had enough top quality linebackers that we didn't need him on defense.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 07:34 AM
OK yeah that freshman starter you had looks like a man amongst boys.

Cancel3
06-30-2008, 07:59 AM
OK yeah that freshman starter you had looks like a man amongst boys.

Terrence Cody is actually a Junior College transfer, so he is a junior. He will see playing time immediately.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Mclain was the one I was thinking of. 255LB starter as a freshman. That kid is a beast

Cancel3
06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Mclain was the one I was thinking of. 255LB starter as a freshman. That kid is a beast

OH! Rolando McClain! Yeah, he is a monster. Strong, tough, good head for holes and blocks like a lineman. He also has soft hands when he goes out for a pass.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 09:46 AM
he's a linebacker

Cancel3
06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
he's a linebacker

Ok, my bad. There was a McClain that was a fullback a couple of years ago. He is playing pro ball now.

I'm at work and not concentrating as I should.

Dixie - In Memoriam
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Damn, I am wondering when this board acquired so many Bama fans? I thought I was the only one! ;)

The future certainly looks bright for us, thanks to Nick Saban, but I really don't think the coach was the problem when we fired Shula. I think the main problem was leadership on the field and the confidence that brings. I saw it all the years under Shula, and for whatever reason, we couldn't overcome it. We had great talent, and moments of looking really good, but we simply didn't have leadership on the field. This takes time to develop, and maybe Shula wasn't the best guy to develop it? Maybe Saban recognizes it and will focus on it more? In any event, talent has not been the issue, we have had some outstanding players the past few years. With the #1 recruiting class in the nation under our belt this year, you have to think we obtained a few leaders.

It's been a while since I was really excited about the upcoming season, it will be nice to feel that way again. I always think it's possible for us to run the table, there is literally no team we don't have a chance with. It depends on whether we stay healthy and if we can overcome the lack of leadership on the field.

JPW is a great QB, he has not shown his full potential at Alabama. My theory is, last year was a wash because of the Hoover scandal. JPW played his Senior year at Hoover under the coach who was fired for allegedly fixing grades. For months, the names of the players who had 'special favors' at Hoover, was kept confidential. I think JPW was worried he might not even be eligible to play, and this distracted him from his game. Now that this has been settled, and JPW was not implicated, he can again focus on his game. If we can just keep the rest of the team outta trouble with the law, we will be okay.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 10:54 AM
JPW is not even a really good QB yet!!! But you have a great coach and a great recruiter if JPW doesn't lose for ya the tide might win 8.
How much does your daddy have to donate to have all three of you names used always?

Dixie - In Memoriam
06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
JPW is not even a really good QB yet!!! But you have a great coach and a great recruiter if JPW doesn't lose for ya the tide might win 8.
How much does your daddy have to donate to have all three of you names used always?

JPW is as good a mid-range passer as Brodie Croyle, and twice the runner. I saw him play in High School and he did some amazing things. I also saw him in the past 3 A-Day games, where he looked much better than he has ever played in real games. The guy is an outstanding QB, he has simply not reached his full potential on the field at Bama.

I see an 8-win season as worst-case scenario. Yeah, it could work out that way, but I don't think it will. I am predicting 10-2, a nice BCS bowl, maybe even another SEC Championship ring... not that we need it, we have 21 already. And I suspect JPW had all three names used long before his father donated anything to the University. With the salary we're paying Saban, I don't care if the donating father wants his son to be called Jesus Parker-Wilson!

Topspin
06-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Well Obviously you have your bama rose colored glasses on.
He's a list of SEC only QB that were way better than him last year.
TT, Ainge, Flynn, Auburns QB, Stafford.
Lets see he was better than Ark, Ole Miss, Miss State and that's it.
So he was an average SEC QB. Croyle got his but kicked everytime he played LSU/Auburn he's garbage too.

Cancel3
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
So he was an average SEC QB. Croyle got his but kicked everytime he played LSU/Auburn he's garbage too.

ESPN ranked the QBs for the SEC, and they had Wilson 3rd. He was behind Stafford & Tebow (in that order).

Wilson can be a great QB. But he has trouble leading the team. He also sees himself as the best thing to happen to Alabama Football. His ego hasn't made him any friends. And you WANT the O Linemen to be your friends.

We recruited an incredible QB this year. I am sure he will sit for this season so he can be redshirted, but this kid has a GUN.

Topspin
06-30-2008, 12:32 PM
we that's about where I had him with Ainge and Flynn graduating

Epicurus
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Damn, I am wondering when this board acquired so many Bama fans? I thought I was the only one! ;)

The future certainly looks bright for us, thanks to Nick Saban, but I really don't think the coach was the problem when we fired Shula. I think the main problem was leadership on the field and the confidence that brings. I saw it all the years under Shula, and for whatever reason, we couldn't overcome it. We had great talent, and moments of looking really good, but we simply didn't have leadership on the field. This takes time to develop, and maybe Shula wasn't the best guy to develop it? Maybe Saban recognizes it and will focus on it more? In any event, talent has not been the issue, we have had some outstanding players the past few years. With the #1 recruiting class in the nation under our belt this year, you have to think we obtained a few leaders.

It's been a while since I was really excited about the upcoming season, it will be nice to feel that way again. I always think it's possible for us to run the table, there is literally no team we don't have a chance with. It depends on whether we stay healthy and if we can overcome the lack of leadership on the field.

JPW is a great QB, he has not shown his full potential at Alabama. My theory is, last year was a wash because of the Hoover scandal. JPW played his Senior year at Hoover under the coach who was fired for allegedly fixing grades. For months, the names of the players who had 'special favors' at Hoover, was kept confidential. I think JPW was worried he might not even be eligible to play, and this distracted him from his game. Now that this has been settled, and JPW was not implicated, he can again focus on his game. If we can just keep the rest of the team outta trouble with the law, we will be okay.

It will be a good year if they can stay out of trouble. I do think losing Johns hurt though.

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM

That's "crimson-colored glasses" thank you! As I said, he has not lived up to his "full potential" ...if he HAD lived up to his full potential, he would not have been a mediocre QB in the SEC last year. I hope this year, he will reach his full potential, and I would put him just behind or equal to Tebow, as QB's go. He has a great arm, good mobility, and has shown excellent decision making skills under pressure. He has one of the best OL's in the nation, and without the distraction of his former high school being investigated for grade fixing, he will be able to focus on his game.

Croyle's biggest problem was lack of an OL and lack of ability to stay healthy. He was one of the best QB's of all-time, when he was on his game. After he was injured, he tried to play through the pain, and just never was able to perform as he did before. People judge him by his last year and a rather lackluster end of his career at Bama, but this is not the measure of Croyle as a QB, he was truly gifted.

Topspin
07-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow Dixie your the kind of guy I used to steal money from betting when I was a bartender.
Croyle was mediocre at his best and garbage the rest of the time.
Your running backs are not even third teams sec. LSU, Georgia, Florida and Tennesse will beat you like a rented mule.
And JPW would rate somewhere in the 30's compared to Tebow in the top 5

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow Dixie your the kind of guy I used to steal money from betting when I was a bartender.
Croyle was mediocre at his best and garbage the rest of the time.
Your running backs are not even third teams sec. LSU, Georgia, Florida and Tennesse will beat you like a rented mule.
And JPW would rate somewhere in the 30's compared to Tebow in the top 5

I've never lost a bet with a bartender.
Croyle was medicore because he had no OL and was playing hurt most of his career. His arm and passing ability is right up there with Joe Namath. Apparently you people have severe reading disabilities, and think I have said things the opposite of what I really said. I never claimed Brodie was the best QB Alabama ever had, or that he proved his greatness on the field, I clearly said that he was not that great and didn't reach his full potential, and I gave you the reason why.

As was mentioned, ESPN is of the opinion JPW is 3rd in the SEC. I put him second, just behind Tebow. Your ranking would have him playing 3rd string for Miss St. or Ole Miss.

As for who will beat us, that remains to be seen, we have to play the game. LSU is neutered compared to last year, I don't see them beating Saban in his "return to Baton Rouge", but I suppose it's possible, and Georgia may also get us, but Tennesee is our little crack ho bithces, we own them. If Florida beats us, it will have to be in the SECCG, we don't play them in regular season.

Topspin
07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
That's "crimson-colored glasses" thank you! As I said, he has not lived up to his "full potential" ...if he HAD lived up to his full potential, he would not have been a mediocre QB in the SEC last year. I hope this year, he will reach his full potential, and I would put him just behind or equal to Tebow, as QB's go. He has a great arm, good mobility, and has shown excellent decision making skills under pressure. He has one of the best OL's in the nation, and without the distraction of his former high school being investigated for grade fixing, he will be able to focus on his game.

Croyle's biggest problem was lack of an OL and lack of ability to stay healthy. He was one of the best QB's of all-time, when he was on his game. After he was injured, he tried to play through the pain, and just never was able to perform as he did before. People judge him by his last year and a rather lackluster end of his career at Bama, but this is not the measure of Croyle as a QB, he was truly gifted.

I don't need to put words in your mouth, not only is he not joe nameth he's not where near Tim Tebo. Tebow won the hiesman, how close was bordy. Oh yeah he didn't go to new york, prob not in top ten voting. Was he even third team SEC???

Cancel3
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
No, Croyle didn't go to New York. But then, when was the last time the Heisman was given to a player on a team that sucked?

I know its supposed to be for the best player, but it goes to a player on one of the top teams.

He set numerous records at UA, was a finalist for the Unitas Award, and he led the Tide to a 10-2 record and completely slaughtered Texas Tech.

I think its amusing that you think a QB that passes for 2,499 yards in a single season is mediocre. Between injuries and a crappy OL, the guy had to overcome a lot to do what he did. Plus he had 3 head coaches in 4 years as a starter. Thats not exactly conducive to quality play.

Also, 190 attempts with no interceptions is something to be proud of as well.

Tebow is great, there is no doubt. But there are a lot of QBs who are not nearly as good as Croyle.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 06:38 AM
You guys have the second best coach in the SEC and you'lll do really good.

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 07:11 AM

lol

Yeah, I guess you could say that. Its possible that Mark Richt is the best coach in the SEC.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 07:23 AM
bhbhaahhah
THE HAT baby

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-14-2008, 07:24 AM

We have the best coach in college football, and we will do more than "really good". Get ready to watch the Tide Roll! :)

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
bhbhaahhah
THE HAT baby

There is only one hat that means anything in the SEC.

Its a houndstooth hat that graced the head of the greatest football coach that ever lived.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Miles will tear Saban a new ass Yet again.

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Miles will tear Saban a new ass Yet again.

Miles has won with a lot of Saban's players. And he called some odd plays at the end of a lot of games last year. He came close to losing more than he did because of his play calling.

This year Miles may win. But we play at LSU this year. And we have always had a good record playing at Baton Rouge.

I guess we will have 117 days until we know for sure.

But I don't recall last year being much of a win for such a highly touted team. For the National Champions to have beaten a 7-6 team by only one touchdown seems kinda odd. In fact, I recall that LSU had to come back and score twice at the end to beat us.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Winning is always tough in BAMA and Auburn, even though we have won most of our games at bama the last few times.
You'll have not easy game in B.R. even though you have the fastly more experienced QB.

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Winning is always tough in BAMA and Auburn, even though we have won most of our games at bama the last few times.
You'll have not easy game in B.R. even though you have the fastly more experienced QB.

I was looking back over the records of the Bama/LSU games. In Baton Rouge, in the last 30 years, we are 16-3-1. I am worried about the game, but more worried about playing at Georgia. The last time we went to GA, we came home with both QBs out for injuries.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
you beat us like 25 times in a row last century.
Whats the recosds since Saban got to LSU

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
When was he at LSU?

I just have the year, location & score on the site.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
go back to about 2002

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 11:04 AM
go back to about 2002

Since '02 we have played in BR 3 times, and Bama has only won once.

So in the previous 24 years, LSU only beat us once in their home stadium.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not into ancient history, I only talk about the Saban forward years. LOL

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not into ancient history, I only talk about the Saban forward years. LOL

I hardly think looking back over 30 years as ancient history.

But I can understand why you would want to be selective.

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
But I don't recall last year being much of a win for such a highly touted team. For the National Champions to have beaten a 7-6 team by only one touchdown seems kinda odd. In fact, I recall that LSU had to come back and score twice at the end to beat us.

We wore that ass out for 3 1/2 quarters, and they knew it. A co-worker friend who is an AVID LSU fan, actually turned the game off and went out to eat dinner, thinking his team was done! The only reason we lost that game was depth on the line, nothing else. That will likely not be a problem this season.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
We wore that ass out for 3 1/2 quarters, and they knew it. A co-worker friend who is an AVID LSU fan, actually turned the game off and went out to eat dinner, thinking his team was done! The only reason we lost that game was depth on the line, nothing else. That will likely not be a problem this season.

We tapped that ass and one by a TD, of course we wore that wussy ass out in the 4th gtr.
It'll be much worse a thrashing in Death Valley this year. JPW will be doing his best Brody Croyle imitation looking up at the lights from his backside.:clink:

Cancel3
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
We tapped that ass and one by a TD, of course we wore that wussy ass out in the 4th gtr.
It'll be much worse a thrashing in Death Valley this year. JPW will be doing his best Brody Croyle imitation looking up at the lights from his backside.:clink:

Um, not quite accurate. LSU scored 2 TDs in the last 3 mins of the 4th quarter. So you tapped it for about 20% of the 4th quarter.

And the QB that you sing the praises of was the reason LSU won. He fumbled and LSU recovered.

Topspin
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
when you face a weak ass offense like bama's you can easily play it safe and just beat on them till the easy knock out punch comes.
Check this who did you guys lose to besides us again last year.
Someone had a sing on the highway in North La don't worry about Bamma they can't get through Monroe.

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
when you face a weak ass offense like bama's you can easily play it safe and just beat on them till the easy knock out punch comes.
Check this who did you guys lose to besides us again last year.
Someone had a sing on the highway in North La don't worry about Bamma they can't get through Monroe.

Seems to me, LSU lost to UAB a few years ago. That's like losing to Monroe High School.... in fact, Monroe High could probably take UAB on a given Saturday.

Topspin
07-15-2008, 04:51 AM
nice avoidance I asked you who alabama lost to and wasn't uab like a decade ago. LOFL

Cancel3
07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
We lost to Georgia in overtime, Florida State, LSU, MS State, Auburn and Lousianna-Monroe. No avoidance from me.

We have had shitty coaching for the last few years, and huge NCAA restrictions before that. Yes, Shula sucked. A classmate of my son's was on the sidelines Shula's last year. After sending a play in Shula turned to one of the players and said "That should work, right?". Shula had no clue what he was doing.

Was last year a failure? Not at all. We played GA into overtime, beat TN so bad their ears rang, and played the National Champions better than most on their schedule.

But last year and this year are building years. Next year we will be in the hunt.

Topspin
07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
I loved bama football growing up watching bear, I'm just yanking your chain a little.
Once I lived in tiger stadium, I got over that.

Cancel3
07-15-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm not worried. And I disconnected that chain years ago. When you yank it just rattles against the plumbing of the old apartment I once lived in.

I am a hardcore Crimson Tide fan. I was a fan during the Dubose years. It can't get much worse than that.

Topspin
07-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Saban is a GOD, he will have you back in a BCS bowl in less than 3 yrs.

Epicurus
07-15-2008, 01:19 PM
We will crush you this year, Top.

Maybe not, but it's encouraging to say.

Topspin
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
that's what's great about having a college team to root for reason doesn't have to factor in.

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not worried. And I disconnected that chain years ago. When you yank it just rattles against the plumbing of the old apartment I once lived in.

I am a hardcore Crimson Tide fan. I was a fan during the Dubose years. It can't get much worse than that.

One of my fondest memories as a child, was listening to the car radio with my dad, when Alabama played LSU at night in the mid-60's. I was born an Alabama fan, couldn't imagine rooting for another team or changing. Bear Bryant had tremendous influence on my life, I have always lived by his words; "If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride, and never quit, you will be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards."

Now I watch a generation of players who weren't even alive when Bryant coached, and I wonder if they even understand what it means to put on that crimson jersey. But I can see a lot of Bear's wisdom in Nick Saban, I wouldn't say they are cut from the same cloth, but I think Saban instills the values that Bryant taught. It's been a while since I was this excited about a season, and I am looking forward to shutting some loud mouths in the SEC and around the nation, as we pursue yet another coveted National Championship.

Topspin
07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Let me boost your enthusiasm for Saban.
As you may know, pre Saban LSU kinda had a Miami/FSU thug U thing starting to happen.
Saban came in and cleaned house, ditched a bunch of trouble makers and laid down the law. He also went to the admin and demanded top knotch facilities including study halls and tudors. He made the players hit the books to.
You won't see and jaibirds on his teams

Cancel3
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I already have plenty of enthusiasm for Saban, but that sure helps.

I am, as I said, a hardcore fan. I was born & raised in Tuscaloosa. I used to ride my bicycle over to the campus and watch Bear, in the old wood tower, coaching the team. I watched him pace the sidelines in Denny Stadium (before it was Bryant Denny Stadium). I watched him pace the sidelines at Legion Field. And met him on several occasions. I have an autographed copy of his book.

But its not just Bear Bryant. Being an Alabama fan means seeing Cornelius Bennett and "The Sack" when he put the Notre Dame QB out of the game. It means watching Barry Krauss and "The Goaline Stand" with pride. It means knowing what "Mama called" means. It means watching the '92 Sugar Bowl when a team nobody respected, with an offense that wasn't much, dismantled the vaunted Miami Hurricanes with a defense that could have stopped a lot of pro teams. Its watching the pregame video on the Jumbotrons at Bryant Denny Stadium and feeling goosebumps. Its seeing those players from the past and feeling like you are watching old friends.

Its knowing the names....John Hannah, Billy Neighbors, Barry Krauss, Bob Baumhower, Cornelius Bennett, Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, Leroy Jordan, Sylvester Croom, Pat Trammell, Steve Sloan, Bobby Humphreys, Shaun Alexander, Johnny Musso, Derrick Thomas, Gene Stallings, Jeff Rutledge, Van Tiffin, Jay Barker, "The Bookends" Curry & Copeland, George Teague, Derrick Lassic, Antonio Langham, Al Bell, Mike Shula, Ray Perkins, Rich Wingo, Chris Samuels, Wesley Britt, and so many more.

And every one of them can here this in their sleep. And every Bama fan knows it by heart.
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit - you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards"

I can hear it in my head as I type it. Its always a deep gravelly voice.

Lots of other quotes come to my mind.

Like when he was asked to pitch in $10 to help cover the cost of a sportswriter's funeral "Here's a twenty, bury two".

"I ain't never been nothing but a winner."

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

"Sacrifice. Work. Self-discipline. I teach these things, and my boys don't forget them when they leave."

"At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships."

I was a Bama fan when we sucked. I was a Bama fan from the time I could understand what there were other teams. I have watched us lose heartbreakers, win championships and barely squeak by.

I know we have had 55 bowl appearances, 26 SEC championships, and 13 National Championships.

We will be back on top, of that I have no doubt. Its not because I want it. Its because that is where the Crimson Tide belongs. The years of losing seasons, losing to auburn, and finishing unranked just make it sweeter.

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Damn, I got goosebumps just reading that!!

ROLL TIDE!

Topspin
07-16-2008, 05:07 AM
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

awesome

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
One of the best stories about Bryant is the time he came under fire from the faculty over his salary, they couldn't understand why a football coach was being paid more than they were... Bear says, "When you get 80,000 people to come watch an English class, come talk to me."

Topspin
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
that movie about him at A&M was very good

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
that movie about him at A&M was very good

Junction Boys? The actor who played him was a horrible choice, he didn't even sound or look like Bryant. Gary Busey was better, and he was a freakin' joke. I think John Wayne or George C. Scott may have been able to play the part, but the only living actors who could have done it justice are Gene Hackman or maybe Fred Thompson.

The book was excellent, and the story was so much more than how it was presented in the screenplay.