PDA

View Full Version : Al-Qaida Calls for Holy War Against Israel...

Damocles
07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Jul 27, 8:18 AM (ET)

By WILLA THAYER

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Al-Qaida's No. 2 leader issued a worldwide call in a new videotape released Thursday for Muslims to rise up in a holy war against Israel and join the fighting in Lebanon and Gaza until Islam reigns from "Spain to Iraq."

In the message broadcast by Al-Jazeera television, Ayman al-Zawahri, second in command to Osama bin Laden, said that al-Qaida now views "all the world as a battlefield open in front of us."

The Egyptian-born physician said that the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah and Palestinian militants would not be ended with "cease-fires or agreements."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060727/D8J4AUMO0.html

Damocles
07-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Also from the story:

"It is a Jihad for the sake of God and will last until (our) religion prevails ... from Spain to Iraq," al-Zawahri said. "We will attack everywhere." Spain was controlled by Arab Muslims until they were driven from power at the turn of the 16th century.

Sounds like Fascism to me...

Cypress
07-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Sounds like Theocracy to me.

I don't think there's anything new here. They've been saying this for years.

Jarod
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds like Theocracy to me.

I don't think there's anything new here. They've been saying this for years.

Sounds like the mirror immage of our religous right.

Cypress
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM

The comparison to facsism is just plain wrong. I understand the desire to equate OBL with hitler.

But, facism has historically aways been secular and nationalistic. Hitler, Mussolini, Pinochet, etc.

What OBL wants is an islamic theocracy, guided strictly by the rule of the koran - not the laws of man and secular authorities. There would be no private corporations or large profit-making entities in a theologically pure islamic state. Everything would be run by the theologic authorities, allegedly under shira law.

charver
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Surely anyone who is going to heed AQ's calls for a holy war will already have picked up their kalashnikovs and headed to the front line already.

Frankly, this is just a waste of advertising space.

Besides, i bet Hizbollah are absolutely fuming at AQ trying to steal their thunder.

Cypress
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Surely anyone who is going to heed AQ's calls for a holy war will already have picked up their kalashnikovs and headed to the front line already.

Frankly, this is just a waste of advertising space.

Besides, i bet Hizbollah are absolutely fuming at AQ trying to steal their thunder.

A well informed president, with a clever, nuanced view and knowledge of the world and geopolitics would be able to exploit the divisions between the sunnin extremists (al qaeda, hamas) and the shia nationalist extremists (hezbollah). In some ways, they are natural enemies.

Bush, of course, is bringing them closer together.

Damocles
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM

Cat Fight? WooHooo... An all-out Grudge match between Al-Zawahri and whomever the bloke is that leads Hezbollah!

Can you imagine the commercials...

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Skinny old men slapfighting for your viewing pleasure!

maineman
07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
agreed...and there is a significant division between Hamas and AQ.... Hamas being a sunni nationalist organization and AQ, as stated, wants nothing to do with nationalism in any form.

It is only the bungling of Dubya and the continued uncritical support of the hordes of pompom waving neocon chickenhawk followers like Dixie that have allowed these deep seated enmities to even marginally dissipate...

His dull, incurious, overly simplistic, black and white approach to foreign policy is an embarrassment at best and more likely the catalyst to global disaster

Cypress
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
agreed...and there is a significant division between Hamas and AQ.... Hamas being a sunni nationalist organization and AQ, as stated, wants nothing to do with nationalism in any form.

It is only the bungling of Dubya and the continued uncritical support of the hordes of pompom waving neocon chickenhawk followers like Dixie that have allowed these deep seated enmities to even marginally dissipate...

His dull, incurious, overly simplistic, black and white approach to foreign policy is an embarrassment at best and more likely the catalyst to global disaster

Hell, even Reagan appeared to understand the concept of exploiting divisions between sunni nationalists and shia theocrats. He tried to play iran off against iraq - on both sides of the fence. Admittedly, he broke some laws and kind of bungled it there....but at least he understood more about geopolitics than the Chimp.

OrnotBitwise
07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
At least the parts of our religious right that give Christianity a bad name.

klaatu
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
So..what else is new ...

Dixie - In Memoriam
07-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Al-Qaida's No. 2 leader issued a worldwide call in a new videotape released Thursday for Muslims to rise up in a holy war against Israel and join the fighting in Lebanon and Gaza until Islam reigns from "Spain to Iraq."

This doesn't sound like AQ and Hesbollah are two distinctly different groups with completely different objectives and concerns. It really does sound like two groups of fanatic Islamic fascists who are joining forces to meet a mutual objective.

maineman
07-28-2006, 08:14 AM
things tend to look different in black and white.

oversimplifying the situation down to good versus bad/black versus white/us versus them might make it easier to "understand", but one really ends up understanding nothing.

Cypress
07-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Al-Qaida's No. 2 leader issued a worldwide call in a new videotape released Thursday for Muslims to rise up in a holy war against Israel and join the fighting in Lebanon and Gaza until Islam reigns from "Spain to Iraq."

This doesn't sound like AQ and Hesbollah are two distinctly different groups with completely different objectives and concerns. It really does sound like two groups of fanatic Islamic fascists who are joining forces to meet a mutual objective.

This doesn't sound like AQ and Hesbollah are two distinctly different groups with completely different objectives

Yeah, that's why Al Qaeda calls shia islam a gutter religion, and supported Zarqawi's attacks on the shia muslims.

toby
07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe it is too simple to think that if someone declares war on you and wants to destroy you that maybe you should believe them.

Hermes Thoth
11-07-2007, 06:05 AM
The comparison to facsism is just plain wrong. I understand the desire to equate OBL with hitler.

But, facism has historically aways been secular and nationalistic. Hitler, Mussolini, Pinochet, etc.

What OBL wants is an islamic theocracy, guided strictly by the rule of the koran - not the laws of man and secular authorities. There would be no private corporations or large profit-making entities in a theologically pure islamic state. Everything would be run by the theologic authorities, allegedly under shira law.

Cypress. Such a third grade intellect. Thinks totalitarianism and torture are fine if they seem exotic. All form of totalitarianism are fascism, because of COURSE trade is going on behind the scenes, the regime gets a cut. Communism and fascism are a nearly identical state, in reality, though the programming has opposite narratives. Oh and fascism can be internationalist in nature, though modern propagandists think they can stop the truth by denying it a logos.

Minister of Truth
11-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, Shiah Islam is heretical, and has historically been a real boon to Islamic empires, what with uprisings and so forth. They have never been quite the parasites on Islamic civilization that the Kharajites have always been, but they have been quite annoying nevertheless. Lucky for us Westerners, because it means that the Umayyads, Abassids, Seljuks and Ottomans were unable to conquer Europe as a result of the divisionism.

theMAJORITY
11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I can almost care less what religious fanatics fight about on the ohter side of the world. But they want to kill us too---and I have a problem with that.

uscitizen
11-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Well we seem to have been killing a few of them as well....
I sure can't understand why people in Iraq would want to kill us :rolleyes:

blackascoal
11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Also from the story:

Sounds like Fascism to me...

Sounds like self-defense to me.

Damocles
11-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Sounds like self-defense to me.
Ah, so preemptive attacks are self-defense? You agree with Bush? Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought that of you...

Seriously, it is not "self-defense" to say you will attack everywhere until your religion is the only one left. That is self-delusional pretense, I don't even know why you are participating in it other than to give AHZ more ammunition stating that "if it had been Muslims, blah, blah, blah... then BAC would be <insert insulting way of saying supportive>..."

Cypress
11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Ah, so preemptive attacks are self-defense? You agree with Bush? Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought that of you...

Please, your Bush apologist side is showing up. :)

Seriously, it is not "self-defense" to say you will attack everywhere until your religion is the only one left. That is self-delusional pretense snip"

Unless David Horowitz or Tom Tancredo hacked your account, I can scarcely believe you posted this nonsense. Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, and Hamas have no designs on invading Denmark, Iceland, or Canada to wipe out christianity, and replace it with one world muslim rule. Neutral countries, or countries that don't interfere in the muslim world don't get attacked. I've never heard of an al qaeda attack on Finland, Sweden, or Chile. I really don't think they are attacking "everywhere".

Note to bush fans: this is not an apology for al qaeda. Its a simple fact.

Damocles
11-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Please, your Bush apologist side is showing up. :)

Unless David Horowitz or Tom Tancredo hacked your account, I can scarcely believe you posted this nonsense. Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, and Hamas have no designs on invading Denmark, Iceland, or Canada to wipe out christianity, and replace it with one world muslim rule. Neutral countries, or countries that don't interfere in the muslim world don't get attacked. I've never heard of an al qaeda attack on Finland, Sweden, or Chile. I really don't think they are attacking "everywhere".

Note to bush fans: this is not an apology for al qaeda. Its a simple fact.
Except that is what they SAID, my answer was that it SOUNDED like something. His was that is SOUNDED like something else. We were having a conversation about what it "sounded" like.

Also, my statement was in no way a "support" of preemptive attack, if you took it that way it is because you have reading comprehension problems. And lastly:

At least read the thread before you make such idiotic statements or keep the hell out of the conversation.