PDA

View Full Version : America is a christian nation?

Guno צְבִי
12-08-2018, 06:42 PM
http://www.increasinglearning.com/uploads/7/7/9/1/7791541/published/no-christian-nation-meme.jpg?1483707329

Guno צְבִי
12-08-2018, 06:47 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-moIzFWhWlAimhoaowrposwshmFcPFw02fJM7E1bJRNjZzEv2dQ

Jack
12-08-2018, 08:49 PM
The Puritans hung Quakers. (See the Problem?)

"The Religious Society of Friends, whose members are commonly known as Quakers, was a Christian movement founded by George Fox in England during the early 1650s. Quakers opposed central church authority, preferring to seek spiritual insight and consensus through egalitarian Quaker meetings. They advocated sexual equality and became some of the most outspoken opponents of slavery in early America. Robinson and Stevenson, who were hanged from an elm tree on Boston Common in Boston, were the first Quakers to be executed in America. Quakers found solace in Rhode Island and other colonies, and Massachusetts’ anti-Quaker laws were later repealed."

"1659
Quakers executed for religious beliefs"
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/quakers-executed-for-religious-beliefs

All of the Religious Cults have one thing in common, they all think their Cult is the Chosen One. And they will kill anyone that disagrees.

kudzu
12-08-2018, 10:38 PM

"The Religious Society of Friends, whose members are commonly known as Quakers, was a Christian movement founded by George Fox in England during the early 1650s. Quakers opposed central church authority, preferring to seek spiritual insight and consensus through egalitarian Quaker meetings. They advocated sexual equality and became some of the most outspoken opponents of slavery in early America. Robinson and Stevenson, who were hanged from an elm tree on Boston Common in Boston, were the first Quakers to be executed in America. Quakers found solace in Rhode Island and other colonies, and Massachusetts’ anti-Quaker laws were later repealed."

"1659
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/quakers-executed-for-religious-beliefs

All of the Religious Cults have one thing in common, they all think their Cult is the Chosen One. And they will kill anyone that disagrees.

Very true.... The various religious groups didn't get along.. whether Quakers, Dutch Reformed, Anabaptists.. whatever. Not very Christian IMO.

Jack
12-09-2018, 12:00 AM
Very true.... The various religious groups didn't get along.. whether Quakers, Dutch Reformed, Anabaptists.. whatever. Not very Christian IMO.

Oh ... VERY Christian.
Think of Spanish Inquisition. The Epitome of Christian Doctrine. All these Religious Cults are dangerous, ... they will literally kill you if you have a different view.
Do you notice any similarities with Islam?

RB 60
12-09-2018, 01:35 AM

"1659

Me being a Christian, are you afraid I will come and kill you?

Jack
12-09-2018, 03:16 AM

As individuals, No. Once they get into Power, then they become violent and aggressive. The Spanish Inquisition is the classic example. Do YOU want to live in a Theocracy? You might say 'Yes' if it was your particular Cult, but what if it was an Islamic Cult? Would you convert or face being labeled a Heretic and watch your wife and children die horrible deaths (that only religious cult types can dream up) before being tortured and put to death yourself?

RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?
See, RB, there is a guy EXACTLY like you that lives in the Middle East and feels the EXACT same way you do.

RB 60
12-09-2018, 03:49 AM
As individuals, No. Once they get into Power, then they become violent and aggressive. The Spanish Inquisition is the classic example. Do YOU want to live in a Theocracy? You might say 'Yes' if it was your particular Cult, but what if it was an Islamic Cult? Would you convert or face being labeled a Heretic and watch your wife and children die horrible deaths (that only religious cult types can dream up) before being tortured and put to death yourself?

RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?
See, RB, there is a guy EXACTLY like you that lives in the Middle East and feels the EXACT same way you do.

Power? What do you mean by "power"? Are you in fear of this country becoming a "Theocracy"? You're insane if you are. It will never happen.

"RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?"

Again, you're insane to even think that. I don't even want to argue with those who don't have my spiritual beliefs because I don't care what they believe.
But you sit there and call me a "cultist" because of my spiritual beliefs, and that is not true. Have I ever insulted/attacked your non belief? I've only ever defended my beliefs.
I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument.

kudzu
12-09-2018, 04:37 AM
Oh ... VERY Christian.
Think of Spanish Inquisition. The Epitome of Christian Doctrine. All these Religious Cults are dangerous, ... they will literally kill you if you have a different view.
Do you notice any similarities with Islam?

Not so much in Arabia... although I am sure it exists.

Funny, I attended our annual Hanukkah supper last Tuesday.. We are a bookclub and its evenly distributed with Jews, Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. The subject of the new book Jesus of Arabia came up..and someone said, " don't care what your religion teaches, we each have a choice as to how we're going to treat people".. We are very political little old ladies... and I don't think we are unique out there.

12-09-2018, 04:57 AM

Funny, I attended our annual Hanukkah supper last Tuesday.. We are a bookclub and its evenly distributed with Jews, Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. The subject of the new book Jesus of Arabia came up..and someone said, " don't care what your religion teaches, we each have a choice as to how we're going to treat people".. We are very political little old ladies... and I don't think we are unique out there.If you're "very political little old ladies", you're unique....I do agree with the member who made the statement you quoted.... add politics to that...and it's nearly‘ perfect;)

kudzu
12-09-2018, 05:02 AM
If you're "very political little old ladies", you're unique....I do agree with the member who made the statement you quoted.... add politics to that...and it's nearly‘ perfect;)

In my overlapping social circles which includes artists, bridge, dominos, poker and mahjong we're political.

12-09-2018, 05:03 AM
In my overlapping social circles which includes artists, bridge, dominos, poker and mahjong we're political. ....and unique....that's what I said;)

kudzu
12-09-2018, 05:08 AM
....and unique....that's what I said;)

You flatter me.. I think its the "social circles" .. Of course there are men involved in bridge, poker, dominos and art, but the ladies out number the guys.

12-09-2018, 05:11 AM
You flatter me.. I think its the "social circles" .. Of course there are men involved in bridge, poker, dominos and art, but the ladies out number the guys.Unique (social circles? There's a Bravo show in the making.... 'lol)...*you're welcome...

Jack
12-09-2018, 05:15 AM
I'm having a conversation with others ... and you jump in with this:
"Me being a Christian, are you afraid I will come and kill you?"

I take the courtesy to respond to your outburst, and then you reply with this:
"I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument."

So:
1. If you 'don't care', why are you jumping into a conversation that others are having?
2. It's a Discussion Board, you know, where people discuss stuff ... why are you telling me to "shut up"?

Power? What do you mean by "power"? Are you in fear of this country becoming a "Theocracy"? You're insane if you are. It will never happen.

"RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?"

Again, you're insane to even think that. I don't even want to argue with those who don't have my spiritual beliefs because I don't care what they believe.
But you sit there and call me a "cultist" because of my spiritual beliefs, and that is not true. Have I ever insulted/attacked your non belief? I've only ever defended my beliefs.
I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument.

Minister of Truth
12-09-2018, 05:15 AM

On the plus side, I don't see Islam doing any conquering so long as it continues to languish from lack of scientific/economic/political/cultural progress.

Jack
12-09-2018, 05:20 AM

Funny, I attended our annual Hanukkah supper last Tuesday.. We are a bookclub and its evenly distributed with Jews, Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. The subject of the new book Jesus of Arabia came up..and someone said, " don't care what your religion teaches, we each have a choice as to how we're going to treat people".. We are very political little old ladies... and I don't think we are unique out there.

It's the 21st century. Modern People are accepting 'Scientists' as the new 'Prophets'. 'Visions', 'Dreams', 'Revelation' is being replaced by 'Logic and Reason'.

Jack
12-09-2018, 05:31 AM
On the plus side, I don't see Islam doing any conquering so long as it continues to languish from lack of scientific/economic/political/cultural progress.

Can you say "Petro Dollars".

"A madrassa is an Islamic religious school. Many of the Taliban were educated in Saudi-financed madrassas in Pakistan that teach Wahhabism, a particularly austere and rigid form of Islam which is rooted in Saudi Arabia. Around the world, Saudi wealth and charities contributed to an explosive growth of madrassas during the Afghan jihad against the Soviets. During that war (1979-1989), a new kind of madrassa emerged in the Pakistan-Afghanistan region -- not so much concerned about scholarship as making war on infidels. The enemy then was the Soviet Union, today it's America. Here are analyses of the madrassas from interviews with Vali Nasr, an authority on Islamic fundamentalism, and Richard Holbrooke, former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. (For more on the role of madrassas in producing militant Islamists, see the story of Haroun Fazul.)"

"All of these groups are rooted in a network of seminaries, or as the term is called in the local vernacular, "madrassa." My argument was that the main source of funding for these groups is Saudi Arabia. In fact, this whole phenomenon that we are confronting, which Al Qaeda is a part of, is very closely associated with Saudi Arabia's financial and religious projects for the Muslim world as a whole. ..."
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saudi/analyses/madrassas.html

Bobb
12-09-2018, 05:38 AM
America was never officially a Christian nation, if that's what dipshit libs man by America isn't a Christian nation. But, America was a Christian nation through the middle of the 20th century, before the government started oppressing Christianity.

kudzu
12-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Can you say "Petro Dollars".

"A madrassa is an Islamic religious school. Many of the Taliban were educated in Saudi-financed madrassas in Pakistan that teach Wahhabism, a particularly austere and rigid form of Islam which is rooted in Saudi Arabia. Around the world, Saudi wealth and charities contributed to an explosive growth of madrassas during the Afghan jihad against the Soviets. During that war (1979-1989), a new kind of madrassa emerged in the Pakistan-Afghanistan region -- not so much concerned about scholarship as making war on infidels. The enemy then was the Soviet Union, today it's America. Here are analyses of the madrassas from interviews with Vali Nasr, an authority on Islamic fundamentalism, and Richard Holbrooke, former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. (For more on the role of madrassas in producing militant Islamists, see the story of Haroun Fazul.)"

"All of these groups are rooted in a network of seminaries, or as the term is called in the local vernacular, "madrassa." My argument was that the main source of funding for these groups is Saudi Arabia. In fact, this whole phenomenon that we are confronting, which Al Qaeda is a part of, is very closely associated with Saudi Arabia's financial and religious projects for the Muslim world as a whole. ..."
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saudi/analyses/madrassas.html

No... Taliban are Deobandi which is nationalistic.. Wahhabi is not. Madrassa just means school.. Most madrassas are 18-20 boys between the ages of 7 and 12.

Al Qaeda is more closely aligned with the teachings of Sayeed Qubt and al Banna which have been outlawed in Saudi Arabia since the early 1970s.

iolo
12-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Well, fair play, the Society of Friends (Quakers) never ever hanged anybody.

Jack
12-09-2018, 06:23 AM

True. But, you notice the Quakers aren't the Caliph of Rome.

kudzu
12-09-2018, 06:23 AM

In the early 1600 nobody would trade with them or come to their common defense. Every group shunned everyother group and the Catholics and Jews hadn't shown up yet.

Mason Michaels
12-09-2018, 12:40 PM

You do have a gun addiction.

Mason Michaels
12-09-2018, 12:42 PM

I knew a Quaker that was hung.

RB 60
12-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Were you sore and walked funny?

Fentoine Lum
12-09-2018, 01:07 PM
America is a eurocentric predatory capitalist society that managed to use christianity to justify its genocide and slavery upon which this nation was built and founded. If that's what we're calling a christian nation, so be it. Others may see through it though.

Jack
12-09-2018, 01:47 PM

:palm:

Mason Michaels
12-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Were you sore and walked funny?

No your GF was

RB 60
12-09-2018, 02:14 PM
No your GF was

LOL!! That's funny!

Fentoine Lum
12-09-2018, 02:16 PM
America was never officially a Christian nation, if that's what dipshit libs man by America isn't a Christian nation. But, America was a Christian nation through the middle of the 20th century, before the government started oppressing Christianity.

Fuck christianity, the oppression began in the Inquisition and never let up.

Bobb
12-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Fuck christianity, the oppression began in the Inquisition and never let up.

What the fuck ever, dumbshit.

Who's being dragged to court for practicing their beliefs?

Fentoine Lum
12-09-2018, 02:36 PM
What the fuck ever, dumbshit.

Who's being dragged to court for practicing their beliefs?

Not you apparently.

NiftyNiblick
12-09-2018, 03:59 PM
If America is a Christian Nation, then America is a theocracy,

which means that America is just like Saudi Arabia.

Our Evangelical Right is the best argument possible in favor of genocide.

While genocide may not be an actual option, we'd clearly be a far superior nation without them.

kudzu
12-09-2018, 04:16 PM

While genocide may not be an actual option, we'd clearly be a far superior nation without them.

Evangelicals are very special.. They think Jesus will not return until all Jews move to Israel.. 2/3rds will convert to Christianity and the rest will die.. Then the temple will be rebuilt and Jesus will return.. Its bad theology... but it make for lots of Christian Zionists.

NiftyNiblick
12-09-2018, 11:41 PM
What really makes my country different is that my country has no monolithic opinion about anything.

No matter what happens in America, half of the people completely hate it and half the people love it.

There is no solidarity in America. The word "American" refers only to a nationality and not to an ethnicity. Their is no American ethnicity. We're like an oversized version of the old Yugoslavia where people with absolutely nothing in common try to share a government.

We pretend to celebrated cultural and ethnic diversity, but ideological diversity is what makes us dysfunctional.

Europeans started amping up the genocide of native Americans around 1500, but the actual American Experiment was a product of the late 18th century when our constitution and actual nation were drawn. That experiment has proven to be a complete failure.

America does not profit from our ever-continuing war profiteering. A handful of American oligarchs do. But a huge number of Americans who do not profit are as guilty as the ones who do.

We hate each other so much that half of us vote in direct opposition to our own financial interests in order to advance people who support our hatreds and our fears. This is America in the Third Millennium.

I don't care that you don't like our genetically altered food and our shopping addiction, World. You're concentrating on the wrong things to dislike. Americans are not spoiled. Americans are fucking stupid.

It's so goddamned obvious to those few of us who are not stupid, but we react in different ways. I, for example, always took more pride in my Italian ethnicity than my American nationality because during my lifetime, America has managed to embarrass itself even worse than Italy has--which is saying something.

At least Italy can make good sports cars, sunglasses, and shoes.

Americans can't make jack shit except for armaments which we'll sell to anybody with the money to pay for it, even if the money other governments spend on it takes food off their own people's tables. No problem for us. Even poor Americans are fat. That genetically altered food is the other thing that we can make, and it's pretty cheap by global standards. I even like much of it.

I'm seventy-two years old. My life is about yesterdays, not tomorrows. I should be calmly going along with the flow and not worrying about anything, but that's never been my nature. Instead, I take fourteen prescription drugs to stay alive and to stay angry about the most wasted potential in the history of humanity--America.

And fuck HBO for dropping boxing, by the way. Am I supposed to buy it just for Bill Maher and John Oliver? They're both on fucking sabbatical.

iolo
12-10-2018, 06:38 AM
I knew a Quaker that was hung. I don't doubt it. In my Country they were so badly persecuted by the English that they had to go to America, pwrdabs! :)

kudzu
12-10-2018, 06:42 AM
What really makes my country different is that my country has no monolithic opinion about anything.

No matter what happens in America, half of the people completely hate it and half the people love it.

There is no solidarity in America. The word "American" refers only to a nationality and not to an ethnicity. Their is no American ethnicity. We're like an oversized version of the old Yugoslavia where people with absolutely nothing in common try to share a government.

We pretend to celebrated cultural and ethnic diversity, but ideological diversity is what makes us dysfunctional.

Europeans started amping up the genocide of native Americans around 1500, but the actual American Experiment was a product of the late 18th century when our constitution and actual nation were drawn. That experiment has proven to be a complete failure.

America does not profit from our ever-continuing war profiteering. A handful of American oligarchs do. But a huge number of Americans who do not profit are as guilty as the ones who do.

We hate each other so much that half of us vote in direct opposition to our own financial interests in order to advance people who support our hatreds and our fears. This is America in the Third Millennium.

I don't care that you don't like our genetically altered food and our shopping addiction, World. You're concentrating on the wrong things to dislike. Americans are not spoiled. Americans are fucking stupid.

It's so goddamned obvious to those few of us who are not stupid, but we react in different ways. I, for example, always took more pride in my Italian ethnicity than my American nationality because during my lifetime, America has managed to embarrass itself even worse than Italy has--which is saying something.

At least Italy can make good sports cars, sunglasses, and shoes.

Americans can't make jack shit except for armaments which we'll sell to anybody with the money to pay for it, even if the money other governments spend on it takes food off their own people's tables. No problem for us. Even poor Americans are fat. That genetically altered food is the other thing that we can make, and it's pretty cheap by global standards. I even like much of it.

I'm seventy-two years old. My life is about yesterdays, not tomorrows. I should be calmly going along with the flow and not worrying about anything, but that's never been my nature. Instead, I take fourteen prescription drugs to stay alive and to stay angry about the most wasted potential in the history of humanity--America.

And fuck HBO for dropping boxing, by the way. Am I supposed to buy it just for Bill Maher and John Oliver? They're both on fucking sabbatical.

No country is monolithic.. Put 4 Arabs in a room and you'll get 5 opinions.. same with Jews.

CFM
12-10-2018, 07:46 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-moIzFWhWlAimhoaowrposwshmFcPFw02fJM7E1bJRNjZzEv2dQ

None of them are food stamps, government housing, Obamacare, or anything else you left wing bleeding hearts continue to claim are supported by the Constitution. Why the hypocrisy from you?

CFM
12-10-2018, 07:47 AM
No country is monolithic.. Put 4 Arabs in a room and you'll get 5 opinions.. same with Jews.

Have one of you make claims about yourself and none will provide anything to support those claims.

CFM
12-10-2018, 07:49 AM

No one is forcing you to be a Christian are they?

You keep talking about all sorts of things you think are options yet keep hiding behind your computer hunting/pecking at the keys.

CFM
12-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Not you apparently.

Neither have you.

Frank Apisa
12-10-2018, 07:50 AM

America was NEVER a Christian nation, Dipshit.

NEVER!

Yeah...there may have been more Christians here than (perhaps) all the other religions combined...

...BUT IT WAS NOT, AND NEVER HAS BEEN, A CHRISTIAN NATION.

Blackwater Lunchbreak
12-10-2018, 08:56 AM
yeah. we need sharia law to straighten out these theocrats.

Lightbringer
12-10-2018, 09:46 AM
America is a christian nation?

No, America is a Norse nation.