PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Terror Fish!

Damocles
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Fish used to detect terror attacks

By MARCUS WOHLSEN, Associated Press Writer
Mon Sep 18, 11:26 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - A type of fish so common that practically every American kid who ever dropped a fishing line and a bobber into a pond has probably caught one is being enlisted in the fight against terrorism.

San Francisco, New York, Washington and other big cities are using bluegills — also known as sunfish or bream — as a sort of canary in a coal mine to safeguard their drinking water.

Small numbers of the fish are kept in tanks constantly replenished with water from the municipal supply, and sensors in each tank work around the clock to register changes in the breathing, heartbeat and swimming patterns of the bluegills that occur in the presence of toxins.

"Nature's given us pretty much the most powerful and reliable early warning center out there," said Bill Lawler, co-founder of Intelligent Automation Corporation, a Southern California company that makes and sells the bluegill monitoring system. "There's no known manmade sensor that can do the same job as the bluegill."

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060919/ap_on_sc/terror_fish)

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 12:03 AM
The fish that saved LA ?
Bluegills are also very tasty :)
Crappie are my fav fresh water fish to eat.

Damocles
09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
The fish that saved LA ?
Bluegills are also very tasty :)
Crappie are my fav fresh water fish to eat.
We used to call them panfish as when you fileted them they would fit one fish per pan.

AnyOldIron
09-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Its the canary down the mine idea....

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:02 AM
So if dead fish in water don't drink ? DUHHH, I learned that by 4 yrs old :)

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Of course you do get fish pee and poop in your water ;)

OrnotBitwise
09-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Its the canary down the mine idea....Yeah, except it's something of a 800 lb gorilla of a canary. I once put a local bluegill in my fish tank, back when I was about 11 or so. The next morning, all I had were bits of fin floating on the surface and one very fat, happy bluegill.

Delicate my ass. Them's some fish to be reconned with. :)