PDA

View Full Version : Topspin

Beefy
04-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I just started playing tennis again this week after not holding a racquet since December of '93, and it appears as though I've forgotten most of what I knew back then. I was a pretty decent player too, but now I look like a total asshole on the court. Today I practiced a couple of hundred serves, and I'm getting the ball placement back pretty quick in terms of the toss, and my accuracy is already improving, but my backhand is a disaster and my forehand isn't much better.

Do you have any elementary tips or keywords that I might remember from back then that will help me get my game back a little quicker?

Thanks shorty!

Damocles
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
There is this thing called a "racquet" You use it to hit a "ball".

And that is it...

Beefy
04-17-2008, 12:31 AM
There is this thing called a "racquet" You use it to hit a "ball".

And that is it...

Well, at least thats funnier than anything uscitizen has ever said.

Topspin
04-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Beefy, this will be the best tennis tip you ever get.
Start playing mixed doubles, get the hottest parter and say a lot of nice try type comments when she misses shots. Be not concerned about winning or coaching her, but about joking and having fun.
Now, much less important the technique. take a couple lessons with a pro will cost you less than $100.
Hit topspin on both sides, just starting out againg would prob be easier for you to learn the 2 handed backhand.
Have fun!!!

uscitizen
04-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, at least thats funnier than anything uscitizen has ever said.

suckup .

but then on the other hand you are comparing Damo to me ;)

Beefy
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Beefy, this will be the best tennis tip you ever get.
Start playing mixed doubles, get the hottest parter and say a lot of nice try type comments when she misses shots. Be not concerned about winning or coaching her, but about joking and having fun.
Now, much less important the technique. take a couple lessons with a pro will cost you less than $100.
Hit topspin on both sides, just starting out againg would prob be easier for you to learn the 2 handed backhand.
Have fun!!!

Great advice. Having fun and doing it is keeping me interested in the game. I don't have to crush it on my first try out again, just have fun and try to remember some stuff right?

Anyhow, another question. I overworked my serving arm by practicing too many serves in one sitting, but I have a serious hankering for playing again tomorrow. Should I just rally (there's no way I can serve), or should I cool it for a couple of days?

Topspin
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
cool it.
Ok, I know your still single right?
I'm telling you that you will me some sick hot girls playing tennis. Sometimes way younger if that's not a problem, it wasn't for me. Until she dumped me. LOL
Serving is the hardest part of the game to master. If you have to play don't serve just ralley. Make sure you get super comfortable with hitting moster topspin on the forhand and have at least a servicable backhand. Dude, I know more about casual tennis than investing and I made a millione by 47th bday. The tennis knowledge is more improtant to me.
Have fun grasshopper and enjoy the girls in short shorts and skirts.

Cancel7
04-18-2008, 07:23 AM
"Sometimes way younger if that's not a problem,..."

That usually is a problem for men.

evince
04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
I never connected the topspin name to tennis. I also did not know you were that old.

Topspin
04-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes I'll be in aarp in less than 2 yrs. And tennis is way more important than economics to me.
I got divorced at 40 and thought I was too old to date. I was originally married at 21, tried bars again (bartended in disco's in the 80's) for dating with zero luck. Got more serious about tennis have have been way to lucky with dating and getting married as a result.

evince
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
damn dude you are only two years younger than me.

Dont you have little kids too?

Chapdog
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
wow top u waited way late to have kids.

Topspin
04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
no my youngest will be a junior at Wisconsin lacrosse next yr wrestling again hopefully

uscitizen
04-18-2008, 09:14 AM
took him a while to find someone to put up with him I guess.

evince
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey no sins of the father stuff on the kid.

Topspin
04-18-2008, 11:02 AM
USC you continue to just junior high toss negatives at every post, I'm not surprised.
Unlike you I'm extreemely proud of my sons. He was nationally ranked as a freshman in HS and up to 4th this year as a sophmore in college. He's been wanted by many coaches, much more than you or I have been in any job or athletic endevor.

Topspin
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
beefy until you can hit with someone and get 5 or 6 hard shots back on both sides consistantly hitting against a wall is good to, and if you can go 20 or 30 minutes that's good cardio.

Beefy
04-18-2008, 10:28 PM
cool it.
Ok, I know your still single right?
I'm telling you that you will me some sick hot girls playing tennis. Sometimes way younger if that's not a problem, it wasn't for me. Until she dumped me. LOL
Serving is the hardest part of the game to master. If you have to play don't serve just ralley. Make sure you get super comfortable with hitting moster topspin on the forhand and have at least a servicable backhand. Dude, I know more about casual tennis than investing and I made a millione by 47th bday. The tennis knowledge is more improtant to me.

Yeah, I am having a great time with it, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the game. In the meantime, I'm going to play as well as I can without trying to be Jimmy Conners, and I'll try not to get sore agian. Today my shoulder actually felt fine, but all the courts out here are booked on friday and saturday, so I'm just going to play catch with my beautiful, intelligent, exotic, I-would-so-go-out-with-this-incredible-gal roommate.

beefy until you can hit with someone and get 5 or 6 hard shots back on both sides consistantly hitting against a wall is good to, and if you can go 20 or 30 minutes that's good cardio.

I can get about 45 minutes to an hour, but I'll try hitting the ball against the wall as well. Thanks for the tips toppy, keep em coming.

Minister of Truth
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM

LOL I categorize skirts into three groups of descending/ascending length: regular, mini and tennis. Its heaven out there on the court with women around. One stride is all it takes.

Topspin
04-19-2008, 06:10 AM
I went to watch a tournament at tulane. You would not believe the 4 or 5 inch shorts the college girls were wearing.

Beefy a buddy of mine says go as young as you can as long as you can on mixed doubles partners.