Met and spoke with two Generals last night!

Ross Dolan

Contributor
I had an eventful evening last night…one that I’ll not forget for a long time.

I was invited by one of the golfers at my home course to attend a charity function for children of soldiers killed in action.

I got to meet and speak with two generals…one was Brigadier General Edward J. Chrystal, Jr…who commands the NJ National Guard…

…and the second was General David H. Petraeus!

General Petraeus, who arrived on a fairway of a golf course via helicopter, is a warm, outgoing, friendly guy who suffered through tens of dozens of handshakes…and photos. This man is a quality guy…through and through.

During a question/answer interview period…he showed himself to be on top of every possible situation and event currently taking place. His intelligence and ability to make complex thoughts clear are incredible.

I am delighted there are people of his quality who can give advice and recommendations to our leaders.

I also managed to cross something off my bucket list. For the last three decades I have searched for a chance to salute a Medal of Honor winner…and Colonel Jack Jacobs, a Medal winner allowed me, although not in uniform, to salute him (actually, salute the medal) and got a return salute.

The evening was beyond imagination.

I had an eventful evening last night…one that I’ll not forget for a long time.

I was invited by one of the golfers at my home course to attend a charity function for children of soldiers killed in action.

I got to meet and speak with two generals…one was Brigadier General Edward J. Chrystal, Jr…who commands the NJ National Guard…

…and the second was General David H. Petraeus!

General Petraeus, who arrived on a fairway of a golf course via helicopter, is a warm, outgoing, friendly guy who suffered through tens of dozens of handshakes…and photos. This man is a quality guy…through and through.

During a question/answer interview period…he showed himself to be on top of every possible situation and event currently taking place. His intelligence and ability to make complex thoughts clear are incredible.

I am delighted there are people of his quality who can give advice and recommendations to our leaders.

I also managed to cross something off my bucket list. For the last three decades I have searched for a chance to salute a Medal of Honor winner…and Colonel Jack Jacobs, a Medal winner allowed me, although not in uniform, to salute him (actually, salute the medal) and got a return salute.

The evening was beyond imagination.
A once in a lifetime experience, that is for sure;)....(I hope you have pictures to share with your family and friends....)

A once in a lifetime experience, that is for sure;)....(I hope you have pictures to share with your family and friends....)

A friend of mine, a graduate of the Naval Academy, accompanied me. (My wife said she was not interested.) He rod me that when he was introduced to Gen. Petraeus, he was going to say, "Go NAVY, beat Army." He didn't. But I dropped a dime on him and mentioned the aborted plans to Petraeus, who laughed and pointed out that ARMY had won last year.

My friend took lots of pictures (I'm a ham). I'll post one or two when I get my hands on them. I was hoping I would have them by now, but so far...no pix.

A friend of mine, a graduate of the Naval Academy, accompanied me. (My wife said she was not interested.) He rod me that when he was introduced to Gen. Petraeus, he was going to say, "Go NAVY, beat Army." He didn't. But I dropped a dime on him and mentioned the aborted plans to Petraeus, who laughed and pointed out that ARMY had won last year.

My friend took lots of pictures (I'm a ham). I'll post one or two when I get my hands on them. I was hoping I would have them by now, but so far...no pix.
Very very cool evening...Truly a night to forever remember....
(I loved watching Army win last year...I have a couple of West Point connections from way back;)

And on top of everything, an evening benefiting a wonderful cause...can't get much better than that....
I bet your wife wishes she had gone now...I would love to see the pics when you get them...

Finally got the pictures. Here are two of me with the General.

Frank and Gen. Petraeus.jpg

Frank and Gen. Petraeus II.jpg

Attachments

• Frank and Gen. Petraeus II.jpg
    Frank and Gen. Petraeus II.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2
Very cool!!

Generals are a dime a dozen but Petraeus would certainly be a good one to meet. CMOH recipients ARE NOT a dime a dozen and meeting one would be be a life highlight.

Very cool!!

Generals are a dime a dozen but Petraeus would certainly be a good one to meet. CMOH recipients ARE NOT a dime a dozen and meeting one would be be a life highlight.

Meeting Jack Jabobs was a dream come true. As I said, my bucket list included, "saluting a CMOH winner."

And I did.

Here is a picture of me with him:

Frank and Jack Jacobs CMOH winner.jpg

Click on any of the pictures to get a slightly larger version.

Back