Big Lawns: Bad For The Environment And Racist

I qualify for the backyard wildlife habitat thing but never applied. Just seems like a money scheme to me. There are two baby possums on my back porch as I type. They like to come sit on the rail. Not sure why. Might be afraid of the dark.

Grass isn't evil. Had a discussion with an woodland expert on reddit awhile back about grass vs. trees. He agreed that grassland has to be part of the balance.

Ornamental grasses and wild grasses are lovely things, especially when the wind makes them shimmer and ripple. Plus their seed heads are food for wildlife.

I don't know if they charge now, but when we got the designation, the NWF didn't charge anything for the certification.

I use zero fertilizer on my yard but I use generic grass killer from Atwoods. I kill the grass in my fence lines and around my trees in lieu of weed eating. When I get tired of mowing in the fall I spray the whole yard with it and kill it all.

I’ve never had to use chemicals or fertilizer for a lawn here in Ohio. Just mow and trim regularly. From the middle of October to the middle of April you don’t really need to do anything but rake it in the fall. Dandelions are about the biggest problem. Even then if you mow regularly they’re not hard to control.

I’ve never had to use chemicals or fertilizer for a lawn here in Ohio. Just mow and trim regularly. From the middle of October to the middle of April you don’t really need to do anything but rake it in the fall. Dandelions are about the biggest problem. Even then if you mow regularly they’re not hard to control.

That explain it all. Ohio is so boring even disease and fungi stay away from your turfgrass. They hide shivering in the frames of your cars until you pack up and come south to the beach on vacation like all Ohioans eventually do at which they scatter like Mexicans from a car trunk.

Here's the tricky part for me:

If bees build a honeycomb, that's considered natural.
If beavers build a dam, that's considered natural.

By that standard, aren't all the dumb-ass things that humans do--lawns, nuclear weapons, whatever--natural as well?
All we are is another species.

That explain it all. Ohio is so boring even disease and fungi stay away from your turfgrass. They hide shivering in the frames of your cars until you pack up and come south to the beach on vacation like all Ohioans eventually do at which they scatter like Mexicans from a car trunk.

Sooo, you've never actually been to Ohio. Got it.

What? Nah, she bought an even bigger house in a more expensive area and moved away. We liked the new neighbor better. He was super nice and often mowed his lawn without a shirt on. Well, one of us liked that part. lol

A Story for Every Occasion™.

Sooo, you've never actually been to Ohio. Got it.

Sure I've been to ohio. Sipped tea in Shaker Square and played the hacky sack with some very pierced and tattooed young lads on Coventry. It was where I first learned that there are salt mines in the Great Lakes.

Sure I've been to ohio. Sipped tea in Shaker Square and played the hacky sack with some very pierced and tattooed young lads on Coventry. It was where I first learned that there are salt mines in the Great Lakes.

If Cleveland is the only Ohio city you've visited, I can see how you would have a mistaken idea about Ohio.

Here's the tricky part for me:

If bees build a honeycomb, that's considered natural.
If beavers build a dam, that's considered natural.

By that standard, aren't all the dumb-ass things that humans do--lawns, nuclear weapons, whatever--natural as well?
All we are is another species.

None of the others you mentioned have the propensity we do to foul our own nests, i.e. the planet, through gluttonously chasing wealth and control of others.

Back