Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will Ted Kennedy stop the wind farm from wrecking his view now?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default How will Ted Kennedy stop the wind farm from wrecking his view now?

Federal report favorable on wind farm
    Email*Print* Text size – +
    January 14, 2008 12:21 PM

By Beth Daley, Globe Staff

A proposed wind farm in Nantucket Sound would have little lasting impact on wildlife, navigation and tourism, a long-awaited review by the federal government concludes.

The draft environmental review by the Minerals Management Service, the lead federal permitting agency for the project, is the main remaining hurdle the wind farm developer has to overcome to build the nation’s first offshore wind park.

"Most of the impacts are minor or negligible," Rodney Cluck, the project manager of the wind farm for the Minerals Management Service, said in a telephone interview this morning. While some effects, such as those upon sea ducks that could be displaced, were declared "moderate" in the nearly 2,000 page draft environmental impact statement, Cluck said "we feel we can mitigate most of those."

Environmentalists immediately celebrated, saying the draft review concludes what many of them have consistently said in the seven years since the wind farm was first proposed by Cape Wind Associates: Its environmental benefits -- clean energy that can meet the equivalent of three-quarters of Cape Cod's power needs -- will far outweigh any detriments.

Cape Wind Associates will comment on the report at an afternoon news conference, and a spokeswoman for the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound, the lead opposition group to the project, said it would comment this afternoon as well, after reading the document.

Many of the Alliance's key claims that the wind project would threaten boat navigation, fish, birds and tourism were not sustained by the federal review. The agency looked at the entire impact of the project, from its construction to future decommissioning.

"They have done an adequate and thorough job of reviewing the potential environmental impacts with regard to avian life," said Jack Clarke, director of public policy & government relations for Massachusetts Audubon. His group last year called for more study of the impact on birds and Clarke said the federal agency’s report appears to satisfy those concerns.

The saga of the wind farm -- which has weathered multiple political efforts to kill it -- is far from over, however. The Minerals Management Service will allow public comment on the draft report through March 20 and hold a series of public hearings that month. A final environmental review is not expected until November. Then, the agency will determine lease payments Cape Wind would have to pay for use of submerged public lands, and make a final decision whether to approve or reject the project.

Cape Wind also still has to receive more than half a dozen state and local permits. The Cape Cod Commission, a regulatory agency, recently rejected a request to run two transmission lines from the project to the regional power grid in Yarmouth. Cape Wind subsequently asked the state’s Energy Facilities Siting Board to overrule that decision and consolidate seven other local and state permits into one decision. The Siting Board will hold hearings on the Cape Wind's proposal in April.

It is also expected that opponents would file lawsuits seeking to stop the project should it win final approval.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Where does Kennedy come into this?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

yeah, where was Kennedy mentioned ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

oh sorry guys. i figured you knew he was the major opponent.

everyone up here knows he doesn't want it in his backyard.

here is a little background.. but not the whole story:
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...e_wind/?page=2
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kennedy was a big opponent of the wind farm. He lived by there, and believed that it would "disrupt tourism" - politician speak for "wreck my view". The wind turbines, however, are actually nearly invisible from shore, and it was just a big case of false outrage. So, Kennedy started to duck in different ways - saying that it would hurt the enviroment. What a hippocrit.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

It's not in his "backyard."

I'm not a fan of Kennedy, but his reasons for opposing this windfarm had nothing to do with its proximity to the "compound," which would have been completely unaffected by it.

It's just Rush Limbaugh propoganda...

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Kennedy wants more global warming.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    It's not in his "backyard."

I'm not a fan of Kennedy, but his reasons for opposing this windfarm had nothing to do with its proximity to the "compound," which would have been completely unaffected by it.

It's just Rush Limbaugh propoganda...
    LOL do you really believe that? come on man. why is teddy opposed to putting a wind farm in capecod? is he also opposed to other areas around America for the same reason?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And why are we not allowed to drill for oil off the Fl coast ? Kennedy ?
    Proving tax cuts work!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Kennedy doesn't play by the rules

By Jeff Jacoby, Globe Columnist * May 7, 2006

IF THERE is one thing that Senator Edward Kennedy is adamant about, it is that government officials play by the rules.

''The vast majority of Americans share our commitment to basic fairness," he lectured his fellow senators last May, when Republicans were threatening to trigger the ''nuclear option" -- changing the Senate's rules to prevent judicial nominations from being filibustered. ''They agree that there must be fair rules, that we should not unilaterally abandon or break those rules in the middle of the game."

There was nothing clandestine about that no-filibuster threat. Senate Republicans had been discussing it publicly for more than two years. Nevertheless, the senator from Massachusetts blasted the idea. ''Every child," he thundered, ''knows that you don't change the rules in the middle of the game."

But, it turns out, Kennedy's antipathy to furtive rules changes and backroom power plays stops at the water's edge -- specifically, the waters of Nantucket Sound, which separates Cape Cod (where the Kennedy family has an oceanfront compound in Hyannis Port) from the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. A shoal in the center of Nantucket Sound is where Cape Wind Associates hopes to build the nation's first offshore wind farm -- an array of 130 wind turbines capable of generating enough electricity to meet 75 percent of the Cape and Islands' energy needs, without burning any oil or emitting any pollution. The turbines would be miles from any coastal property, barely visible on the horizon. In fact, Cape Wind says they would be farther away from the nearest home than any other electricity generation project in Massachusetts.

But like a lot of well-to-do Cape and Islands landowners and sailing enthusiasts, Kennedy doesn't want to share his Atlantic playground with an energy facility, no matter how clean, green, and nearly unseen. Last month he secretly arranged for a poison-pill amendment, never debated in either house of Congress, to be slipped into an unrelated Coast Guard bill. It would give the governor of Massachusetts, who just happens to be a wind farm opponent, unilateral authority to veto the Cape Wind project.

When word of the amendment leaked out, environmentalists were appalled. The wind farm proposal is supported by the leading environmental organizations, and they never expected to be sandbagged by one of their legislative heroes. Even if Kennedy would prefer to see Cape Wind plant its windmills in somebody else's sailing grounds, he has always claimed to support the development of wind power (''I strongly support renewable energy, including wind energy, as a means of reducing our dependence on foreign oil and protecting the environment" -- Cape Cod Times, Aug. 8, 2003). And what happened to all those righteous words about not throwing out the rulebook in the middle of the game?

If ever a project and its promoters have ''played by the rules," Cape Wind has -- and in spades. Its plans have undergone more than four years of scrutiny by federal, state, and regional regulators, with another year or more of evaluations, hearings, and studies to come. At least 18 government bodies -- from the Army Corps of Engineers to the Environmental Protection Agency to the Massachusetts Coastal Zone Management Office -- have been involved in reviewing the wind farm proposal. Cape Wind has had to surmount an astonishing variety of regulatory and due-diligence hurdles. So far it has successfully met every one.

The list of permits, approvals, licenses, and reports that regulators are requiring Cape Wind to file or obtain would overload a library. First and foremost, there is the exhaustive environmental impact statement required under federal and state law, the first draft of which, 3,800 pages long, was released in November 2004. But there is also the Approval to Construct Jurisdictional Facilities from the Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board. The Chapter 91 Waterways License from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. The General Stormwater Permit from the US Environmental Protection Agency. And too many more to to list here.

Cape Wind has invested millions of dollars in this project, and no small part of that cost has gone to dotting every legal ''i" and crossing every regulatory ''t." But if Kennedy gets his way, all of Cape Wind's time, money, and effort will have been for naught -- crushed in a naked abuse of political power. And it isn't only a Nantucket wind farm that will be dead, but a little more of the public's faith that the men and women it elects to office can be trusted to do the right thing.

''Every child knows that you don't change the rules in the middle of the game," Kennedy says. Grown senators are supposed to know it too.

Jeff Jacoby's e-mail address is jacoby@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi..._by_the_rules/

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    LOL do you really believe that? come on man. why is teddy opposed to putting a wind farm in capecod? is he also opposed to other areas around America for the same reason?
    Do some research on it before you go spouting right-wing propoganda. It's not "do I really believe it."

I really don't have time right now; we talked about this on a FP thread, which I think you abandoned after too many facts about it were brought to light. It has absolutely nothing to do w/ the 'backyard' claim. That's just stupid.

Like I said, I'm no Kennedy fan, so I have no stake in this. But the 'backyard' claim is just BS, Limbaugh-based propoganda...

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    And why are we not allowed to drill for oil off the Fl coast ? Kennedy ?
    There are a lot more factors involved with drilling oil than putting up a windfarm. For one, the oil rigs are A LOT bigger, and they can spill and wreck beaches for months, which would cost a lot more than they are worth.

Kennedy's just doing this because he wants more global warming. He wants to turn Boston into Cancun.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think chappy will have trouble finding kennedy fans on here.
    Proving tax cuts work!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Jeff Jacoby is a tool.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    There are a lot more factors involved with drilling oil than putting up a windfarm. For one, the oil rigs are A LOT bigger, and they can spill and wreck beaches for months, which would cost a lot more than they are worth.

Kennedy's just doing this because he wants more global warming. He wants to turn Boston into Cancun.
    or he doesnt want all the bodies of the young women hes killed to be unearthed out in the sound