Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Revenant

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default The Revenant

Anyone else intend on seeing this? I'm probably going to see it tonight. The frontiersman Hugh Glass story of being left for dead after a bear mauling in the Dakota's and his 200 mile journey to safety is as legendary a frontiersman story as Daniel Boones rescuing his daughters and Simon Kenton's running the gauntlet.

Though I'm sure the usual Hollywood liberties with the facts will occur my understanding is that it's very authentic and if any of you think the brutality of the story is Hollywood hyperbole it's probably closer to the truth to say they have downplayed it. What Hugh Glass survived would have killed most people. Yet he survived this and other adventures.

I'm glad to see this film made. I just wish they could do one of this quality about Simon Kenton or Tecumseh.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

My wife wants to see it. Let me know how it is.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Anyone else intend on seeing this? I'm probably going to see it tonight. The frontiersman Hugh Glass story of being left for dead after a bear mauling in the Dakota's and his 200 mile journey to safety is as legendary a frontiersman story as Daniel Boones rescuing his daughters and Simon Kenton's running the gauntlet.

Though I'm sure the usual Hollywood liberties with the facts will occur my understanding is that it's very authentic and if any of you think the brutality of the story is Hollywood hyperbole it's probably closer to the truth to say they have downplayed it. What Hugh Glass survived would have killed most people. Yet he survived this and other adventures.

I'm glad to see this film made. I just wish they could do one of this quality about Simon Kenton or Tecumseh.
    Can't help thinking that it will win shitloads of Oscars whilst the Big Short is a better and more deserving film.

4. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-24-2016)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

The offspring really liked it
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Lots and lots of very graphic violence and gore. The bear attack scene was phenomenal and it went on and on and just when you think it's over it starts up again.
    Leonardo was predictably brilliant but because Glass lost his voice in the attack he grunts through much of the film. The antagonist was a deplorable easy to hate character equally brilliantly played.
    A good yarn well researched and spectacularly photographed, but be prepared for much violence and graphic gore.
    A bit long but with a satisfying end scene that is worth the wait.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hulagu Khan View Post
    My wife wants to see it. Let me know how it is.
    Ended up not going. Didn't get out of work till later than I expected so I missed the 7:15 show and the next one wasn't until 9 pm. Probably going to go see in Monday night. The Mrs. has Tuesday off and can stay up late.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Borboletta View Post
    Can't help thinking that it will win shitloads of Oscars whilst the Big Short is a better and more deserving film.
    How would you know? Have you seen either?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (01-18-2016)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Leonthecat View Post
    Lots and lots of very graphic violence and gore. The bear attack scene was phenomenal and it went on and on and just when you think it's over it starts up again.
    Leonardo was predictably brilliant but because Glass lost his voice in the attack he grunts through much of the film. The antagonist was a deplorable easy to hate character equally brilliantly played.
    A good yarn well researched and spectacularly photographed, but be prepared for much violence and graphic gore.
    A bit long but with a satisfying end scene that is worth the wait.
    A little more detail than I wanted however I already knew the story of Hugh Glass. It may have been a lot of violence and gore but, as I said, compared to the reality of the frontier era, I'm sure they down played it. If you've ever studied frontier history it was pretty brutal.

When he was a younger man Hugh Glass and a partner were captured on the Missouri by a band of Pawnee. They made a morning star out of Hugh's partner. That is they hung him up by his arms and used little blow guns to blow pine splinters into his body. When his body was covered with splinters they lit him on fire and burned him to death. They were going to make a morning star out of Hugh Glass too but he calmly gave a packet of vermillion to the Pawnee chief. The chief was so impressed at his calm demeanor and the present that he adopted Hugh into the Pawnee tribe. If you notice in the movie when Hugh meets a band of Pawnee they are on a friendly basis. That was the reason why. He spent several years with the Pawnee as an adopted member of the tribe.

It's my understanding in the movie that Glass kills Fitzgerald. That didn't actually happen. Glass hunted down both Jim Bridger and Fitzgerald. He found Bridger first and forgave him. He finally found Fitzgerald but Fitzgerald had enlisted in the army. If Glass had killed Fitzgerald the army would have hanged him so he didn't kill him. So that part of the movie is fiction.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 01-16-2016 at 05:38 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-23-2016)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

How would you know? Have you seen either?
    No I haven't but I read quite a few reviews of both. I am not a great fan of graphic violence, I am interested in more cerebral films.

13. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-18-2016)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

18 Hours......saw it last night....great production of the facts as attested to by the men THAT WERE THERE......
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default The Revenant

I don't watch movies that put money in Decaprios pocket

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Borboletta View Post
    No I haven't but I read quite a few reviews of both. I am not a great fan of graphic violence, I am interested in more cerebral films.
    I can assure you that the violence in the Revenant is brutal and graphic but it is not gratuitous. That's how life on the frontier was and, as I said, they probably down played just exactly how violent it actually was. Though I'll have to see it to be sure.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (01-18-2016)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I don't love survival movies, but if you throw in a cast that includes Liam Neeson (The Grey) or Tom Hardy, in this case, then I'm likely to see it.
    I'm a big fan of American frontier history. If it's accurate and authentic I'll be pleased. I've been trying to get Billy to read Allen Eckert's "The Winning of America Series" for quite some time. They are incredible reads. I'm sure you'd enjoy them too though you're probably not as familiar with the geography as Billy is.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very well done. Visually stunning, story pleasant, acting good (especially the bear).
    Had a little problem with the astonishing recovery of Leo's Ankle. But glad I saw it.
    This is an in the theater kind of movie. But I'm a senior now so the price was only obscene as opposed to criminal.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Minister of Truth (01-18-2016), Mott the Hoople (01-18-2016)