Thread: Proof That God Exists

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    How much does a ham sandwhich weigh? blah, blah, blah.
    ???....you don't think you can weigh a ham sandwich?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Well if you have "Proof" of God of what use is faith?
    You need faith even in the presence of proof, do you not? Honestly, think about that for a moment. Is there anything you can "prove" that doesn't require your faith and belief? In fact, one could argue from a philosophical point, it is impossible to have faith and belief without "proof." There has to be something which makes you believe and have faith, in the first place. Now we can argue over what is legitimate "proof" and what is perception of "proof" to an individual, and we get right back to the fundamentals of the OP, it all boils down to what you have faith in. If you have no faith in spirituality, you could hardly have faith in God, therefore, you are not going to believe in God and you will reject any "proof" presented by others, because you lack this faith. It doesn't mean "proof" doesn't exist, it simply means you reject the "proof" and call it bullshit.

I'll remind you once again, the point of the OP was not to answer the question, it was to examine the context and understand the question from a more appropriate context. I readily admit the question isn't answered, it can't be answered, that is why it continues to be argued. My only goal was to have people think about the context of the question, and examine it's legitimacy in a fair way. Some have been able to do that, others like you and Grind, want to run straight back to the safety of the argument in your old familiar context, an argument you believe you can win, because you are too afraid to explore other possibilities.

You can't demand physical proof of a supernatural thing, it's as silly and pointless as demanding science be explained by spirituality. The spiritual and physical worlds are two entirely different things, so why would parameters of one fit the other? Why would requiring physical proof for a supernatural entity, be any less ridiculous than requiring supernatural proof of the physical? In my opinion, one is as bad as the other. We must put things in their proper context before we answer the question.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

[for the record, it's pointless for me to bother arguing about something with dixie. I realized I was wasting my time. No offense dixie, but we just aren't going to sync up on this]

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-21-2012)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by KingofOwls View Post
    [for the record, it's pointless for me to bother arguing about something with dixie. I realized I was wasting my time. No offense dixie, but we just aren't going to sync up on this]
    You're correct. My position is, the question can't be answered without proper understanding of context, which you refuse to allow, and any answer requires individual faith. Your position is, the question has already been answered by science and god doesn't exist, and there is no need for you to enlighten yourself further. So yes, it's a complete and total waste of your time, you are dismissed!

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    How much does umami weigh?

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    How much does umami weigh?
    is your question savory?.....(okay, I have to admit I had to look it up).......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

How much does a ham sandwhich weigh? blah, blah, blah.
    Not sure but I heard they can be indicted by a Grand Jury.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apple0154 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-15-2012)

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

One could weigh the evidence against a ham sandwich.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apple0154 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (05-15-2012)

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    ...So, God doesn't exist in a physical sense, and it's pointless to try and prove existence with physical parameters. In order to properly examine the question, we need to evaluate 'exist' as meaning, in a spiritual sense, because that is what God is, a spiritual entity. Now, whether something 'exists' in a spiritual sense, is very difficult, in fact, impossible to prove or disprove.
    You could have stopped there. If something is impossible to prove.... and science is changing the ideas of time and space, but so what - I'm wondering what we will do for a hundred trillions years times .... curious that we have to have immortality or some do.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    You could have stopped there. If something is impossible to prove.... and science is changing the ideas of time and space, but so what - I'm wondering what we will do for a hundred trillions years times .... curious that we have to have immortality or some do.
    interesting......this coming from a guy with a head start on oblivion.....

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

No, I mean I could care less what a ham sandwhich weighs and that's about what all this philosophizing adds up to.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-15-2012)

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You need faith even in the presence of proof, do you not? Honestly, think about that for a moment. Is there anything you can "prove" that doesn't require your faith and belief? In fact, one could argue from a philosophical point, it is impossible to have faith and belief without "proof." There has to be something which makes you believe and have faith, in the first place. Now we can argue over what is legitimate "proof" and what is perception of "proof" to an individual, and we get right back to the fundamentals of the OP, it all boils down to what you have faith in. If you have no faith in spirituality, you could hardly have faith in God, therefore, you are not going to believe in God and you will reject any "proof" presented by others, because you lack this faith. It doesn't mean "proof" doesn't exist, it simply means you reject the "proof" and call it bullshit.

I'll remind you once again, the point of the OP was not to answer the question, it was to examine the context and understand the question from a more appropriate context. I readily admit the question isn't answered, it can't be answered, that is why it continues to be argued. My only goal was to have people think about the context of the question, and examine it's legitimacy in a fair way. Some have been able to do that, others like you and Grind, want to run straight back to the safety of the argument in your old familiar context, an argument you believe you can win, because you are too afraid to explore other possibilities.

You can't demand physical proof of a supernatural thing, it's as silly and pointless as demanding science be explained by spirituality. The spiritual and physical worlds are two entirely different things, so why would parameters of one fit the other? Why would requiring physical proof for a supernatural entity, be any less ridiculous than requiring supernatural proof of the physical? In my opinion, one is as bad as the other. We must put things in their proper context before we answer the question.
    No, to the contrary. Faith requires proof about as much as reason requires feelings.

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Not sure but I heard they can be indicted by a Grand Jury.
    Aint that the damned truth!

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, to the contrary. Faith requires proof about as much as reason requires feelings.
    From a philosophical standpoint (what I qualified my statement with) one could also argue "reason" requires "feelings." Next?

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

From a philosophical standpoint (what I qualified my statement with) one could also argue "reason" requires "feelings." Next?
    and from a philisophical stand point you could say the same thing about a ham sandwhich.