Thread: Democrat Governor wants to suspend Congressional elections for two years

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Democrat Governor wants to suspend Congressional elections for two years

Perdue's full statement:

"You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It's a little bit more contentious now but it's not impossible to try to do what's right in this state. You want people who don't worry about the next election."

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/und...#ixzz1ZClAiV6v

go dems!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    You want people who don't worry about the next election.
    it's obvious who should be worried about the next election......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    it's obvious who should be worried about the next election......
    Anyone who currently holds office.

It's not an outrageous point. At least for the national House of Reps, I doubt the founding fathers imagined what we have currently: people who basically serve for a year, and spend the next year campaigning & fundraising...

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Please look into it, it was a joke made in very poor taste. Such a thing should not be joked about, but joking about it is much different than really suggesting it.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Please look into it, it was a joke made in very poor taste. Such a thing should not be joked about, but joking about it is much different than really suggesting it.
    In what way could it even be considered remotely funny or joke-like...? Please, put it in the context of the moment because I see no "joke" there.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I get the point she is trying to make in that she believes those in Congress would behave differently if they weren't up for re-election for a couple of years. That point can be debated in and of itself but it was pretty much a failed attempt at humor. I don't believe though that she was in any way serious about actually wanting to suspend elections.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    In what way could it even be considered remotely funny or joke-like...? Please, put it in the context of the moment because I see no "joke" there.
    Maybe this will help?

Knock Knock.

Who's there?

You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It's a little bit more contentious now but it's not impossible to try to do what's right in this state. You want people who don't worry about the next election.

You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It's a little bit more contentious now but it's not impossible to try to do what's right in this state. You want people who don't worry about the next election, who?

Sorry, wrong house.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charver For This Post:

/MSG/ (09-28-2011), Damocles (09-29-2011)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Anyone who currently holds office.

It's not an outrageous point. At least for the national House of Reps, I doubt the founding fathers imagined what we have currently: people who basically serve for a year, and spend the next year campaigning & fundraising...
    so suspending elections is the answer? how about passing laws to change the amount of time they serve, instead of suspending elections? you don't take away the right of the people just because you don't like something.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

When you click on the link, the title of the article reads:

Perdue jokes about suspending Congressional elections for two years

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/und...#ixzz1ZGOsT76n

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    When you click on the link, the title of the article reads:

Perdue jokes about suspending Congressional elections for two years

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/und...#ixzz1ZGOsT76n
    that proves nothing and you once again avoid facts that don't fit your agenda. had you actually read the article and not just the link you would have seen this:

It's unclear whether Perdue, a Democrat, is serious -- but her tone was level and she asked others to support her on the idea.

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/und...#ixzz1ZGRRyn9i

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    it was a joke with serious intent. he threw it out there to see what the response would be. if there would have been even a lukewarm response from the populace, it would suddenly become a hot topic
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    it was a joke with serious intent. he threw it out there to see what the response would be. if there would have been even a lukewarm response from the populace, it would suddenly become a hot topic
    Looking at it, I don't think it's serious about actually suspending elections for 2 years arbitrarily; but it is serious about examining the nature of the system as it currently stands. I defy anyone to argue that it's working.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 560 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Looking at it, I don't think it's serious about actually suspending elections for 2 years arbitrarily; but it is serious about examining the nature of the system as it currently stands. I defy anyone to argue that it's working.
    It's working perfectly. I didnt' hear any Democrats saying it wasn't working when Dems controlled both houses and the White House and shoved their agenda down our throats from 2008- 2010. Just more leftist crying and moaning because they've been stopped.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    It's working perfectly. I didnt' hear any Democrats saying it wasn't working when Dems controlled both houses and the White House and shoved their agenda down our throats from 2008- 2010. Just more leftist crying and moaning because they've been stopped.
    I should ask that question more often! What a wonderful IQ test for some posters...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

/MSG/ (09-28-2011)