Thread: Why?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Why?

We get a fair amount of fairly unbiased news from the US and a sprinkling of current affairs shows. We also get the Beeb, Aus N and Al Jazeera as well as the local stations which tend to take 'crappy' to a new level. So we see your strangely named contenders for the plastic crown, we see Noot and Mitt and the other gink and we hear the various commentators and we come out of it all none the wiser.
    Your political system, like ours consists of basically left and right of the political spectrum and I can say that both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party in the UK issue well considered, usually well thought out, manifestos and, again usually, quite intelligent critiques of the opposite party's performance.
    Now the question.
    Apart from what we saw of Mississippi and apart from the byte sized nonsense written here what exactly do your republicans stand for? We hear 'smaller government'. OK then how? And if, as seems likely, some of the functions of government are 'privatised' where will the savings be? Or perhaps republicans aren't interested in savings. If republicans want to scrap Obama's medical scheme what will happen to the millions who suffered under previous governments. If Mr. Gingrich wants to be president what, precisely, will he do to make the US better? Same the the cardboard cut-out Mr. Romney.
    Has anyone on the right issued a manifesto? A policy document that actually addresses their form of government?
    I see nothing. I see abso-bloody-lutely nothing that would make me, should I be an undecided American, vote for them.
    We do hear comments such as 'The Republican Party is in disarray. Can any of the contenders improve the lot of Americans?
    So enough of the No Obama chants. Enough of the smart arse remarks. Enough of the ten second whooping sound bytes.
    Can anyone tell me why anyone should vote Republican?
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Has anyone on the right issued a manifesto? A policy document that actually addresses their form of government?
    all the candidates have....go to their campaign websites and read them.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    all the candidates have....go to their campaign websites and read them.....
    Well their PR must be crap because very little gets onto the news or current affairs progs. And I would hazard a guess that most people are too... er lazy/busy to bother searching the info out so only the politically minded are likely to check out a campaign website.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a righty rant against the MSM.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

We get a fair amount of fairly unbiased news from the US and a sprinkling of current affairs shows. We also get the Beeb, Aus N and Al Jazeera as well as the local stations which tend to take 'crappy' to a new level. So we see your strangely named contenders for the plastic crown, we see Noot and Mitt and the other gink and we hear the various commentators and we come out of it all none the wiser.
    Your political system, like ours consists of basically left and right of the political spectrum and I can say that both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party in the UK issue well considered, usually well thought out, manifestos and, again usually, quite intelligent critiques of the opposite party's performance.
    Now the question.
    Apart from what we saw of Mississippi and apart from the byte sized nonsense written here what exactly do your republicans stand for? We hear 'smaller government'. OK then how? And if, as seems likely, some of the functions of government are 'privatised' where will the savings be? Or perhaps republicans aren't interested in savings. If republicans want to scrap Obama's medical scheme what will happen to the millions who suffered under previous governments. If Mr. Gingrich wants to be president what, precisely, will he do to make the US better? Same the the cardboard cut-out Mr. Romney.
    I see nothing. I see abso-bloody-lutely nothing that would make me, should I be an undecided American, vote for them.
    We do hear comments such as 'The Republican Party is in disarray. Can any of the contenders improve the lot of Americans?
    So enough of the No Obama chants. Enough of the smart arse remarks. Enough of the ten second whooping sound bytes.
    I just figured out the reason for this the other day. It is shockingly simple, over 60% of the population of the US is too stupid to believe in evolution.
    Therefore they are stupid enough to believe things told them by the likes of Rush Limbaug, Glen Beck, and Sean Hannity, as well as that paragon of honesty, Bill Reily. These sheep are so easily lead they routinely vote against their own best interests, simply because some blowhard tells them to.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Well their PR must be crap because very little gets onto the news or current affairs progs. And I would hazard a guess that most people are too... er lazy/busy to bother searching the info out so only the politically minded are likely to check out a campaign website.
    No way our news shows are that incompetent.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Spicy Weiner View Post
    No way our news shows are that incompetent.
    I agree. However they do tend to rely on cliche driven sound bytes as far as I can see. That might be because that is all they can get from the parties or it might be that, in their determination to change all output to entertainment, they edit and sex up what they are given.
    The question remains though. How can an ordinary American with a 'passing interest' it his country receive these messages that, to those who would overthrow the present regime (whichever that is) consider matters of life and death?
    Silly arsed comments like 'One term president' and'We want an American, not a muslim' etc attract the kind of person that you wouldn't put in charge of a wheelbarrow let alone a nation.
    This is a political discussion site (amongst other things) yet there is almost nothing that fits the description of political discussion as far as I can see. Non Americans like me, love to poke fun at Americans (it is so easy) but we are also interested in the development of the nation and the dangers or otherwise its decisions might bring to us all.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

apparently you aren't watching the right news.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

apparently you aren't watching the right news.....
    Should it be the responsibility of the electorate to search the channels? Do the candidates have secret agendas? What would happen if the American advertising industry simply announced that in future there would be no advertising but people can search the web for anything and everything they wish to buy?
    My question, sir, was a serious one and did not call for your smart arse comments. If that's all you have then I guess the hypothesis that republicans tend to be among the least intelligent Americans holds true.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

An interesting counter argument would be suppose each candidate were honest and forthright? Imagine each saying they are unsure whether this policy would work, but we will try it? Or imagine if to pay down the debt, they said they would raise taxes as FDR did for three years running to solve that particular issue? Or imagine (in America) an atheist running and being upfront about their disbelief? I could go on but the point is vagueness is essential to politics for this allows the voter to fill in the meaning of each empty phrase. Politics is not about reality it is about rhetorical flourish based on the perceptions of the unperceptive. "Voters do you agree with me that X is a screw-up?" "We sure do."
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Should it be the responsibility of the electorate to search the channels?
    depends.....does the electorate want to be informed or are they content being Democrats?.....my answer may have appeared to be smart assed to you.....if so, it's only because you questioned what I think everyone should naturally understand.....the information is there, it can be found.....apparently neither you or the network news is smart enough to find it......that seems strange to me......and I expect it isn't a matter of inability, but willfulness.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-22-2012 at 05:59 AM.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Or imagine if to pay down the debt, they said they would raise taxes as FDR did for three years running to solve that particular issue?
    imagine if, after WW2 left the country with a massive debt, FDR raised taxes AND spent twice as much as WW2 cost so that instead of the deficit going down, it went up........

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Politics is not about reality it is about rhetorical flourish based on the perceptions of the unperceptive. "Voters do you agree with me that X is a screw-up?" "We sure do."
    except, of course, when the perceptive recognize that X really IS a screw up.....

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

except, of course, when the perceptive recognize that X really IS a screw up.....
    I guess I will have to repeat my question.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

I guess I will have to repeat my question.
    If you are in the top 1% and don't want to pay taxes and want a govt that benefits you instead of the 99%, vote Republicon. That's the main purpose of the right, protect the multi-national rich.

Otherwise the power of conservative propaganda is very convincing and thru the repetition of hate speech, half truths and outright lies the uninformed/scared/racists vote against your own self interests.
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

George Orwell

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashk For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-23-2012), Phantasmal (03-22-2012), Rune (03-23-2012), ZappasGuitar (03-22-2012)