Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R. I. P. mighty warrior

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default R. I. P. mighty warrior

This young mans father taught me how to ride my dirt bike when I was 13. I never got to meet this kid, but his father was a stand up guy.
    All my thoughts and prayers Mike.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Pfc. Matthew M. Martinek, 20, of DeKalb, Ill., died Sept. 11 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl, Germany, of wounds suffered in Paktika province, Afghanistan, Sept. 4 when enemy attacked his vehicle with an improvised-explosive device followed by a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

I am grateful for PFC Matthew M. Martinek's, service to our Great Nation and greatly appreciate Him for my freedom and the freedom of my family and friends. PFC Matthew M. Martinek, you are a true American Hero and will not be forgotten. Stand down Soldier, Your mission is complete. Job Well Done. May our Heavenly Father welcome You home to rest. Godspeed Matthew.

A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

DIRGE FOR A SOLDIER

In the east the morning comes,
    Hear the rollin' of the drums
    On the hill.
    But the heart that beat as they beat
    In the battle's raging day heat
    Lieth still.
    Unto him the night has come,
    Though they roll the morning drum.

What is in the bugle's blast?
    It is: "Victory at last!
    Now for rest."
    But, my comrades, come behold him,
    Where our colors now enfold him,
    And his breast
    Bares no more to meet the blade,
    But lies covered in the shade.

What a stir there is to-day!
    They are laying him away
    Where he fell.
    There the flag goes draped before him;
    Now they pile the grave sod o'er him
    With a knell.
    And he answers to his name
    In the higher ranks of fame.

There's a woman left to mourn
    For the child that she has borne
    In travail.
    But her heart beats high and higher,
    With the patriot mother's fire,
    At the tale.
    She has borne and lost a son,
    But her work and his are done.

Fling the flag out, let it wave;
    They 're returning from the grave—
    "Double quick!"
    And the cymbals now are crashing,
    Bright his comrades' eyes are flashing
    From the thick
    Battle-ranks which knew him brave,
    No tears for a hero's grave.

In the east the morning comes,
    Hear the rattle of the drums
    Far away.
    Now no time for grief's pursuing,
    Other work is for the doing,
    Here to-day.
    He is sleeping, let him rest
    With the flag across his breast.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

My prayers go to the family of this young man, may he rest in peace

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    This young mans father taught me how to ride my dirt bike when I was 13. I never got to meet this kid, but his father was a stand up guy.
    All my thoughts and prayers Mike.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Pfc. Matthew M. Martinek, 20, of DeKalb, Ill., died Sept. 11 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl, Germany, of wounds suffered in Paktika province, Afghanistan, Sept. 4 when enemy attacked his vehicle with an improvised-explosive device followed by a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

I am grateful for PFC Matthew M. Martinek's, service to our Great Nation and greatly appreciate Him for my freedom and the freedom of my family and friends. PFC Matthew M. Martinek, you are a true American Hero and will not be forgotten. Stand down Soldier, Your mission is complete. Job Well Done. May our Heavenly Father welcome You home to rest. Godspeed Matthew.

Peace
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rest in Gods loving arms Pfc Matthew Martinek and thank you. .
    Latest Reputation Received
    Letterman 10-03-2009 11:30 AM ZappasGuitar here's some payback...b*tch ;-)

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Allow me to masturbate my patriotism furiously and publicly at this opportunity.

7. #7 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    Allow me to masturbate my patriotism furiously and publicly at this opportunity.
    ib, allow me to say the same thing I say to others who think a thread of tribute is a time to be a smartass or to interject their personal politics.

Shut the fuck up. Someone died. You may not know them, but somewhere a family is grieving a lose.

8. #8 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Rest in peace, and my prayers go out to the family.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

classy, fuckhead. real classy.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,673 Times in 14,046 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

That not a very nice thing to say, I am surprised and appalled at the same time.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's not a very nice thing to say, I am surprised and appalled at the same time.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

This is not about Patriotism. This is not about glorifying the conflict that took his life. This is not about whether or not you agree with the cause that took his life. It is not about your anger or your indignation. This is about a 20 year old boy that volunteered to serve his country and in short order became a man. This is about a man who volunteered not just once but twice, because they do not force you to be an airborne soldier, you volunteer for that as well. This is about a man who just moments before he lost his life was with his buddies, men on the left and the right that he would have gladly laid down his life for. Now soldier, be at ease, your buddies have the watch.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    This is not about Patriotism. This is not about glorifying the conflict that took his life. This is not about whether or not you agree with the cause that took his life. It is not about your anger or your indignation. This is about a 20 year old boy that volunteered to serve his country and in short order became a man. This is about a man who volunteered not just once but twice, because they do not force you to be an airborne soldier, you volunteer for that as well. This is about a man who just moments before he lost his life was with his buddies, men on the left and the right that he would have gladly laid down his life for. Now soldier, be at ease, your buddies have the watch.
    My man. Agreed.

15. #15 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Well said, Soc. Well said.