Thread: FBI: Bodies of kidnapped U.S. contractors found

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Default FBI: Bodies of kidnapped U.S. contractors found

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The remains of two U.S. contractors who were kidnapped in Iraq have been found, FBI officials said Monday.

The bureau identified the two as Ronald Withrow of Roaring Springs, Texas, abducted on January 5, 2007, and John Roy Young of Kansas City, Missouri, who was captured on November 16, 2006.

Withrow worked for Las Vegas, Nevada-based JPI Worldwide Inc., and Young worked for Crescent Security Group.

The FBI said it had notified the families of the contractors.

Meanwhile, four U.S. soldiers died Sunday night in a roadside bombing in Iraq, military officials reported, bringing the American toll in the 5-year-old war to 4,000 deaths.

The four were killed when a homemade bomb hit their vehicle as they patrolled in a southern Baghdad neighborhood, the U.S. military headquarters in Iraq said. A fifth soldier was wounded.

The grim milestone comes less than a week after the fifth anniversary of the start of the war.

"No casualty is more or less significant than another; each soldier, Marine, airman and sailor is equally precious and their loss equally tragic," said Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, the U.S. military's chief spokesman in Iraq.

"Every single loss of a soldier, sailor, airman or Marine is keenly felt by military commanders, families and friends both in theater and at home."

Of the 4,000 U.S. military personnel killed in the war, 3,263 have died in attacks and fighting and 737 in nonhostile incidents, such as traffic accidents and suicides. Eight of those killed were civilians working for the Pentagon. The numbers are based on Pentagon data counted by CNN.

Also Sunday, at least 35 Iraqis died as the result of suicide bombings, mortar fire and the work of gunmen in cars who opened fire on a crowded outdoor market. Nearly 100 were wounded in the violence.

Estimates of the Iraqi death toll since the war began range from about 80,000 to the hundreds of thousands.

Another 2 million Iraqis have been forced to leave the country, and 2.5 million have been displaced from their homes within Iraq, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

Many of the Iraqis and U.S. troops killed over the years, like the four soldiers slain Sunday in Baghdad, have been targeted by improvised explosive devices -- the roadside bombs that have come to symbolize Iraq's tenacious insurgency.

More at link http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Notice the rear admiral did not mention contractors
    Just real military personnel.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Listen, you have to be really stupid to ever imagine that any of these contractor guys - who operate outside the law there and have less controls on them than our military - are ever turning up alive once they've been nabbed.

We've all read the stories about contractors firing indiscriminately upon civilians, bayoneting the wounded (shooting them, but you get the pic), and being accused of rapes.

Did the guys they happened to be able to kidnap do any of those things? I don't know, and neither do the people who killed them. They don't give a fuck if they get the right party or not. You know what that makes them? Honorary Americans.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Listen, you have to be really stupid to ever imagine that any of these contractor guys - who operate outside the law there and have less controls on them than our military - are ever turning up alive once they've been nabbed.

We've all read the stories about contractors firing indiscriminately upon civilians, bayoneting the wounded (shooting them, but you get the pic), and being accused of rapes.

Did the guys they happened to be able to kidnap do any of those things? I don't know, and neither do the people who killed them. They don't give a fuck if they get the right party or not. You know what that makes them? Honorary Americans.
    Ouch! and shouldn't actually make them honorary members of the Bush administration? I think LOTS of Americans care and even cared then (but not in the numbers now) that we got the right people.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Ouch! and shouldn't actually make them honorary members of the Bush administration? I think LOTS of Americans care and even cared then (but not in the numbers now) that we got the right people.
    I don't think they do. If they cared we wouldn't be in Iraq, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see little evidence of it.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries