Thread: Bush: the Pollution President

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Default Bush: the Pollution President

This has been the most proactive admin in my lifetime regarding weakening federal standards for the environment & giving free reign to corporate polluters. It's been an all-out assault on the planet from day 1.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23631398/

What has this guy done besides kill the economy, kill the environment & kill our reputation around the world? What a terrible 7+ years this has been. 2 terms! What a stupid country...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    This has been the most proactive admin in my lifetime regarding weakening federal standards for the environment & giving free reign to corporate polluters. It's been an all-out assault on the planet from day 1.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23631398/

What has this guy done besides kill the economy, kill the environment & kill our reputation around the world? What a terrible 7+ years this has been. 2 terms! What a stupid country...
    Doesn't this article state that the result is an increase in standards? Just not as much as the EPA wanted?
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree Onceller

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

It's a problem, when political appointees with no technical or scientific background, consistently over rule the recommendations of their technical staff.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The new meaning of political science Cypress.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8007697

"The Environmental Protection Agency is calling its new multibillion-dollar smog restrictions "the most stringent standards ever."

"Scientists suggest lowering the allowable levels of ozone in the air even further to reduce related heart and asthma attacks.

Johnson said he took those recommendations into account, but disagreed. He says he didn't consider the cost. The EPA estimates compliance could cost as much as $8.8 billion a year by the time counties are expected to meet the requirement."
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It's a problem, when political appointees with no technical or scientific background, consistently over rule the recommendations of their technical staff.
    It's also a problem when the admin hires people like petroleum lobbyists to head up their environmental efforts.

During Bush's 1st term, there was an executive order almost every single Friday for awhile there; usually late in the day, so it would miss the news cycle. Unprotect a few million acres here, ease a few regulations there.

It has been an absolute assault on the environment. Their idiotic "Clear Skies" act was anything but, and would have gutted the old Clean Air act completely.

This kind of stuff keeps flying under the radar, but it's criminal. It will be the biggest part of his legacy next to Iraq.