Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people vote for candidates based on their views on abortion?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry Why do people vote for candidates based on their views on abortion?

That is such a dumb reason to vote for someone. Unless it's someone like Ron Paul, Roe V Wade ain't gonna get overturned. Regan didn't outlaw it. Bush Sr didn't outlaw it. Bush Jr didn't outlaw it with his conservative congress doing whatever he tells them to do so what makes you think Huckabee or McCain will suddenly change everything?
    "And damned right I compare pro-abortion to pro-slavery." - Good Luck

"In the first place, as I have carefully explained, I did NOT compare abortion to the holocaust or slavery." - Good Luck after I showed his offensive remarks to everyone

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Romney is pro-choice.. just not for this election.. EOM
    Last edited by Chapdog; 01-07-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Presidents don't outlaw abortion; the Supreme Court does. In case you haven't noticed, they are just 1 vote away from doing just that.

Many states would keep abortion legal after that, but many would not.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

Isn't the supreme court in favor of conservatives? You know like 6 to 5 or 5 to 4? And if there's a draw, Cheney is the tie breaker and the final vote swifts to the republican view.
    Last edited by KingRaw!; 01-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.

"In the first place, as I have carefully explained, I did NOT compare abortion to the holocaust or slavery." - Good Luck after I showed his offensive remarks to everyone

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

How is Ron Paul the exception?
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

He's the only one who would actually do it if he said he would. He's viewed by people as a crazy person. In other words, he actually does what he promises.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingRaw! View Post
    He's the only one who would actually do it if he said he would. He's viewed by people as a crazy person. In other words, he actually does what he promises.
    How could he do it? As was previously stated the abortion issue will be decided by the Supreme Court. The President only has the power to nominate Supreme Court justices.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

Well from scratch, he could appoint strict conservative judges like Rudy says he will.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Yeah then we could be like Communist Romania which forced women to stay pregnant. Maybe we could do like they did and force women to the OB/GYN regularly and have them have a state supervised gynocological exam to make sure they haven't aborted or if they are pregnant they STAY pregnant.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

We are getting away from the point. Roe V Wade wasn't overturned with Regan and the 2 Bushes in office so what makes you think it will happen with Huckabee or McCain?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Please post a link ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Yeah then we could be like Communist Romania which forced women to stay pregnant. Maybe we could do like they did and force women to the OB/GYN regularly and have them have a state supervised gynocological exam to make sure they haven't aborted or if they are pregnant they STAY pregnant.
    to this absurdity...so Romania adheres to a no illegal abortion policy...this is bad? Please elaborate counselor!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

We are getting away from the point. Roe V Wade wasn't overturned with Regan and the 2 Bushes so what makes you think it will happen with Huckabee or McCain?
    You are not getting the point. It could be overturned based on the make-up of the Supreme Court. If judges who vote pro abortion leave the court and are replaced by judges who are anti-abortion then you could see roe v. wade overturned.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

I'm pretty sure why abortion is legal in America. Lots of people would go into poverty if they were forced to keep their kid. And that would be bad for the economy.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

We are getting away from the point. Roe V Wade wasn't overturned with Regan and the 2 Bushes so what makes you think it will happen with Huckabee or McCain?
    Because they will nominate ideologically conservative justices that will rule there is no constitutional right to an abortion. I actually believe that someday Roe will be overturned and we will go back to states legislating procreation. IT will be a boon for doctors in Pro Choice states and back alley abortionists that will prey on those not wealthy enough to afford to travel to a pro-choice state. More women will die due to unsafe illegal abortions and abortions will not go down in the US. If you look at Romania under communist rule a country of about 25-30 million people had only 300k less abortions per year in a country that kept track of women's procreation. Also the adoption population sky rocketed in Romania.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Angry

Isn't the supreme court in favor of the conservative view right now?