Thread: Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-for-clinton/

Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

by Nate Silver

Want these election updates emailed to you right when they’re published? Sign up here.

Every scientific poll we’ve encountered so far suggests that voters thought Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump in Monday night’s debate. In fact, some of them showed her winning by a wide margin — wide enough to make it a good bet (though not a guarantee) that she’ll gain in horse-race polls against Trump over the next week or so.

But so far, we’ve seen just two polls released that tested Clinton’s standing against Trump after the debate. They have pretty good news for Clinton, but I’d recommend some caution until we get more data.

The first poll is from Morning Consult, which shows Clinton leading by 3 percentage points in a matchup that includes third-party candidates — that’s a 4-point swing toward Clinton from the 1-point Trump lead that Morning Consult showed before the debate. In a head-to-head matchup against Trump, Clinton leads by 4 points, up from a 2-point lead before the debate.

The other survey is from Echelon Insights, and it shows Clinton leading Trump by 5 percentage points. In theory, that would be consistent with a bounce for Clinton, since she led Trump by just 1 to 2 points overall before the debate, based on FiveThirtyEight’s projection. But it’s hard to know for sure because Echelon has surveyed the race only once before — just after the Republican convention, when they showed Clinton leading Trump by 1 point.

Apart from these polls, the only other data we have is from the USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times and UPI/CVOTER national tracking polls, but I’d discourage people from paying very much attention to them. It’s nothing against the polls themselves — in fact, I’ve defended the USC/LA Times poll’s methodology in the past — it’s just a matter of timing. Each poll uses a 7-day field period, which means that only about one-seventh of their interviews were conducted after the debate. I’d wait a couple of days before making too much of these surveys — until they consist mostly of post-debate interviews.

There are other reasons to be cautious, too. Polls conducted over a one- or two-day period, like the Morning Consult and Echelon Insights polls, can suffer from low response rates, since the pollsters won’t have time to recontact voters who they missed the first time around. That could plausibly bias the poll toward whichever candidate has the most enthusiastic supporters at the time of the poll, making it less representative. Many traditional pollsters prefer their polls to be in the field for three or four days, and we won’t see any results from polls like those until Friday at the soonest.

Another complication is that it can be hard to separate voters’ reaction to the debate itself from their reaction to the media’s reaction to the debate. By that I mean: Clinton has had some tough news cycles lately, so getting some better headlines could help her, and that could plausibly also affect the polls. Or maybe not, since Trump has a knack for turning the news cycle on its head.

One last admonition: When evaluating a post-debate bounce, consider whether the poll was an outlier before. For instance, the most recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed Clinton ahead by 6 percentage points nationally, on the high end of her range heading into the debate. By contrast, the most recent Rasmussen Reports poll had Clinton trailing Trump by 5 points. Clinton is more likely to improve her numbers in the next Rasmussen poll than in the next NBC poll, but that could reflect reversion to the mean as much as a debate bounce.

Overall, there are some tentatively positive signs for Clinton — but not more than that, yet. At the moment, our polls-only model shows Clinton with a 58 percent chance of winning; polls-plus shows her with a 56 percent chance. But our forecast models don’t make any special assumptions about the debate, and they’ll take several days to catch up to whatever impact it has or hasn’t had. You can track the latest polls as they’re added to the model here.
    Last edited by FUCK THE POLICE; 09-29-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

How can this be? JPP deplorables are claiming he won the debate, is leading in the polls and that Illary is desperate.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LORD OF CUCKS View Post
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-for-clinton/

Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

Want these election updates emailed to you right when they’re published? Sign up here.

Every scientific poll we’ve encountered so far suggests that voters thought Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump in Monday night’s debate. In fact, some of them showed her winning by a wide margin — wide enough to make it a good bet (though not a guarantee) that she’ll gain in horse-race polls against Trump over the next week or so.

But so far, we’ve seen just two polls released that tested Clinton’s standing against Trump after the debate. They have pretty good news for Clinton, but I’d recommend some caution until we get more data.

The first poll is from Morning Consult, which shows Clinton leading by 3 percentage points in a matchup that includes third-party candidates — that’s a 4-point swing toward Clinton from the 1-point Trump lead that Morning Consult showed before the debate. In a head-to-head matchup against Trump, Clinton leads by 4 points, up from a 2-point lead before the debate.

The other survey is from Echelon Insights, and it shows Clinton leading Trump by 5 percentage points. In theory, that would be consistent with a bounce for Clinton, since she led Trump by just 1 to 2 points overall before the debate, based on FiveThirtyEight’s projection. But it’s hard to know for sure because Echelon has surveyed the race only once before — just after the Republican convention, when they showed Clinton leading Trump by 1 point.

Apart from these polls, the only other data we have is from the USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times and UPI/CVOTER national tracking polls, but I’d discourage people from paying very much attention to them. It’s nothing against the polls themselves — in fact, I’ve defended the USC/LA Times poll’s methodology in the past — it’s just a matter of timing. Each poll uses a 7-day field period, which means that only about one-seventh of their interviews were conducted after the debate. I’d wait a couple of days before making too much of these surveys — until they consist mostly of post-debate interviews.

There are other reasons to be cautious, too. Polls conducted over a one- or two-day period, like the Morning Consult and Echelon Insights polls, can suffer from low response rates, since the pollsters won’t have time to recontact voters who they missed the first time around. That could plausibly bias the poll toward whichever candidate has the most enthusiastic supporters at the time of the poll, making it less representative. Many traditional pollsters prefer their polls to be in the field for three or four days, and we won’t see any results from polls like those until Friday at the soonest.

Another complication is that it can be hard to separate voters’ reaction to the debate itself from their reaction to the media’s reaction to the debate. By that I mean: Clinton has had some tough news cycles lately, so getting some better headlines could help her, and that could plausibly also affect the polls. Or maybe not, since Trump has a knack for turning the news cycle on its head.

One last admonition: When evaluating a post-debate bounce, consider whether the poll was an outlier before. For instance, the most recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed Clinton ahead by 6 percentage points nationally, on the high end of her range heading into the debate. By contrast, the most recent Rasmussen Reports poll had Clinton trailing Trump by 5 points. Clinton is more likely to improve her numbers in the next Rasmussen poll than in the next NBC poll, but that could reflect reversion to the mean as much as a debate bounce.

Overall, there are some tentatively positive signs for Clinton — but not more than that, yet. At the moment, our polls-only model shows Clinton with a 58 percent chance of winning; polls-plus shows her with a 56 percent chance. But our forecast models don’t make any special assumptions about the debate, and they’ll take several days to catch up to whatever impact it has or hasn’t had. You can track the latest polls as they’re added to the model here.
    Whoop de do. Until the elecototal polls come in, particularly in the swing States it don't mean shit.

The only thing you can surmize is Clintons downward trajectory might...just might...have stopped.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It stopped last week:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...nton-5491.html

She's gained two points since then.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Averaging state polls is more accurate than relying on the popular vote. That doesn't somehow make the popular vote totally worthless. It also doesn't mean that you shouldn't take it into account at all (all good models include popular vote as part of their model). You're an idiot who heard one thing and then jumped to the most extreme possible conclusion.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Somehow Ohio Mott's opinion of "Durrr, national polls are totally worthless and meaningless" is supposed to trump that of Nate Silver (who wrote this article).

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LORD OF CUCKS View Post
    Somehow Ohio Mott's opinion of "Durrr, national polls are totally worthless and meaningless" is supposed to trump that of Nate Silver (who wrote this article).
    We will see come the day after the election. Personally I think the bookies have a better track record than Nate does.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Who is Nate Silver?

It's a close race.
    But usually such races are decided by the ~20% swingers.

~40% vote reliably Republican
    ~40% vote reliably Democrat

So our election outcomes are generally determined by the remaining ~20%.

And it seems, with 3 debates to go, they're still flip-flopping.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

I think this OP is dated a couple days ago? But Trump obviously lost, and it's bound to cost him

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Default Election Update: Early Polls Suggest A Post-Debate Bounce For Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Whoop de do. Until the elecototal polls come in, particularly in the swing States it don't mean shit.

The only thing you can surmize is Clintons downward trajectory might...just might...have stopped.
    It is a big nothing burger but it makes Clinton loyalists like Watermark and Legion Troll feel better so that is something.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    I think this OP is dated a couple days ago? But Trump obviously lost, and it's bound to cost him
    It's from yesterday.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by What is Aleppo? View Post
    It stopped last week:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...nton-5491.html

She's gained two points since then.
    no change in the electoral votes yet.....is this "jump" in the polls to be found in the key states of New York and California?.....

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    We will see come the day after the election. Personally I think the bookies have a better track record than Nate does.
    I hope you didn't place your bets when they were cutting her 85%.....she's down to 55 now.....