Thread: 'Prosperity Is Blue'

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Washington in a second, but I do love the openness of the Midwest. I have a photograph from there of a church in an open field that gives a sense of space. Having spent lots of time in Washington and all the surrounding areas it can be a beautiful place. Museums, Georgetown U, the Metro, love it. When our children were home we'd often go on a Sunday to an art show or to a gallery opening. Of course you are giving yourself away and it is obvious what you mean.
    it should be obvious what I mean.....the schools are among the top ten worst in the nation........the city is near bankruptcy.....not even the congressmen responsible for its budget are willing to live there........

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    it should be obvious what I mean.....the schools are among the top ten worst in the nation........the city is near bankruptcy.....not even the congressmen responsible for its budget are willing to live there........
    Schools are an interesting topic today. Why are they bad in the inner city? I am reading 'Hillbilly Elegy' and it is amazing how the poor whites in Kentucky and Ohio are so similar to poor blacks in decaying inner cities. Attitudes and lifestyles are similar. I'll let you read it, but you can easily see the importance of significant people and an education in a person's life.

Another thing that caught my interest was a piece in The New Republic on substitute teachers. My wife taught math forever, it seems, and she often commented on how children changed. Each year another bunch of brats arrived. All teachers have similar views and often they blame parents today. The piece below is worth a look.

In the south especially, it seems Christian and Home schooling education is prospering. I think back to my own parents and can't imagine them as our teacher. I wonder over time what effect all this will have on America? A solid public education would seem the best way. Be challenged not brain washed.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1364...titute-teacher
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire