Thread: Conservatives React to DNC

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,664 Times in 7,361 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Default Conservatives React to DNC

The Reviews Are In: Conservatives Say The DNC Was 'Disaster' For The GOP

Something strange happened on the last night of the Democratic National Convention.

After the GOP nominee lambasted the Democrats on Twitter for displaying what he viewed as too few American flags, there was a sea of waving flags as far as the eye could see when Hillary Clinton became the first woman to accept a major party's nomination on Thursday.

A small faction of protesters chanting "no more war" as General John Allen spoke were quickly drowned out by chants of "USA!" filling the Philadelphia arena. The most notable refrain from the RNC crowd last week: "Lock her up."

The evening also hammered home the stark tonal difference between the two conventions. After Trump painted America as a downcast country in need of a billionaire savior, night after night of all-star DNC speakers preached a sermon of American exceptionalism, with values that unify us all – talking points once exclusively owned by Republicans.

It was enough to give a lot of conservatives whiplash. Here are just a few of them praising the DNC and bemoaning the state of affairs in their own party.

Conservative writer Ron Fournier:

Well done, @realDonaldTrump. You made Democrats a party of sunny patriotism and values.

You sure @billclinton didn't ask you to run?

— Ron Fournier (@ron_fournier) July 29, 2016

National Review editor Jonah Goldberg:

Why this convention is better: It's about loving America. GOP convention was about loving Trump. If you didn't love Trump, it offered nada.

— Jonah Goldberg (@JonahNRO) July 29, 2016

John Podhoretz, former Ronald Reagan speech writer and Commentary editor:

Take about five paragraphs out of that Obama speech and it could have been a Reagan speech. Trust me. I know.

— John Podhoretz (@jpodhoretz) July 28, 2016

Fox News host Greg Gutfeld:

if repubs had championed their principles with specifics rather than embrace autocracy - they wouldn't have yielded this turf to dems.

— GregGutfeld (@greggutfeld) July 29, 2016

Conservative blogger Erick Erickson:

For Republicans who are not social conservatives, I have to imagine last night and tonight at the DNC are having an impact on them.

— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) July 29, 2016

Conservative Iowa radio host Steve Deace:

So most of conservative media and the GOP spent the week rooting for Russia, and now the Democrats get to rally around the flag.

Dreadful.

— Steve Deace (@SteveDeaceShow) July 29, 2016

Conservative Wisconsin radio host Charlie Sykes:

Snark aside: GOP needs to understand what is happening to them tonight…

— Charlie Sykes (@SykesCharlie) July 29, 2016

Do you know how old I am? Old enough to remember when speeches like this would've been given at GOP convention… Not Dem one. Brutal.

— Charlie Sykes (@SykesCharlie) July 29, 2016

Rich Galen, press secretary for Dick Cheney:

How can it be that I am standing at my kitchen counter sobbing because of the messages being driven at the DNC? Where has the GOP gone?

— Rich Galen (@richgalen) July 29, 2016

Conservative ops veteran Matt Mackowiak

This Democratic convention has been an unmitigated disaster for the GOP. Very well produced. Unifying. Patriotic. Bravo.#DNCinPHL

— Matt Mackowiak (@MattMackowiak) July 29, 2016

Amanda Carpenter, former spokeswoman for Sen. Ted Cruz:

I am sure hearing a lot more about God and faith at the DNC than the RNC.

— Amanda Carpenter (@amandacarpenter) July 28, 2016

Conservative blogger AGConservative:

Still stunned. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Obama just defended America & conservative values from attacks by the Republican nominee.

— (((AG))) (@AG_Conservative) July 28, 2016

Commentary editor Noah Rothman:

Republicans could have stopped all this.

— Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) July 29, 2016

Daily Caller Writer Jamie Weinstein:

Now an immigrant medal of honor winner? If the goal is to reach independents and conservatives uneasy w/ Trump, well done Democrats

— Jamie Weinstein (@Jamie_Weinstein) July 29, 2016

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...saster-for-gop
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Still stunned. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Obama just defended America & conservative values from attacks by the Republican nominee."

These people still annoy me. I get that they are in a meltdown and looks like we are going to need to bring in a shitload of therapy poodles for these poor fucks, but GODDAMN right Obama defended America.

Barack Obama is an American. He's our goddamn president. He has been for 8 years. They don't even know what's coming. Barack Obama is going to rise so fast to the top of the best presidents list, it's going to happen within the lifetimes of these dummies, they don't even know what's coming. And they are surprised or feigning surprise that he is defending his damned country?

Also, what are conservative values????? As Obama said in 2004, in his keynote that we all remember because many of us sat stunned and literally and quite seriously suspected we had just met America's first black President:
    But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states.

Cons have been, well, conning us for decades. They own patriotism, they own faith, they own some nebulous set of "values".

No. They do not.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Cancel 2020.1 (07-29-2016), Mott the Hoople (08-01-2016), ZappasGuitar (07-29-2016)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

I mean, it was pretty easy to see last week. The GOP really gave this one to Democrats.

I don't know who coordinated their convention last week, but it probably decided the election. To give the Dems that huge opening to be the party of patriotism, hope & unity.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grind Is A LIAR View Post
    "Still stunned. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Obama just defended America & conservative values from attacks by the Republican nominee."

These people still annoy me. I get that they are in a meltdown and looks like we are going to need to bring in a shitload of therapy poodles for these poor fucks, but GODDAMN right Obama defended America.

Barack Obama is an American. He's our goddamn president. He has been for 8 years. They don't even know what's coming. Barack Obama is going to rise so fast to the top of the best presidents list, it's going to happen within the lifetimes of these dummies, they don't even know what's coming. And they are surprised or feigning surprise that he is defending his damned country?

Also, what are conservative values????? As Obama said in 2004, in his keynote that we all remember because many of us sat stunned and literally and quite seriously suspected we had just met America's first black President:
    But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states.

Cons have been, well, conning us for decades. They own patriotism, they own faith, they own some nebulous set of "values".

No. They do not.
    You're right about Obama's legacy. Conservatives have portrayed him as some sort of disaster, but history is not a partisan judge. He has done some great things, and more than that, he has been the kind of leader you want in the oval office. Intelligent, calm and compassionate.

I actually learned a lot about him this week. There was stuff that they spoke about that the media doesn't really cover. I loved the speech from that mother who lost a son in Iraq, and how Obama hugged her every time he saw her, and made it a point to take her aside to talk to her at one event. And you could see that with Sandy Hook & many of the other tragedies we have had. This is a guy who genuinely cares about Americans, and it doesn't matter who you are, how much money you have, or what your color or religion is.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (07-29-2016), ZappasGuitar (07-29-2016)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

El Oh El. "Conservative writer" Ron Fournier?!?!?! I mean I guess when you're as left as TPM everyone is to the right.

I follow Fournier on Twitter. He writes for the Atlantic and is not conservative. In fact he's not particularly ideological. He has written plenty negative about both Hillary and Trump. Funny thing is he's now starting to support Hillary.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    You're right about Obama's legacy. Conservatives have portrayed him as some sort of disaster, but history is not a partisan judge. He has done some great things, and more than that, he has been the kind of leader you want in the oval office. Intelligent, calm and compassionate.

I actually learned a lot about him this week. There was stuff that they spoke about that the media doesn't really cover. I loved the speech from that mother who lost a son in Iraq, and how Obama hugged her every time he saw her, and made it a point to take her aside to talk to her at one event. And you could see that with Sandy Hook & many of the other tragedies we have had. This is a guy who genuinely cares about Americans, and it doesn't matter who you are, how much money you have, or what your color or religion is.
    I think that Sandy Hook changed him forever. That shook him to his depths and you could see it. I read that he grappled with what to say to the parents because he told friends he would be inconsolable if it were one of his daughters. I think there is so much to come out about him and his years in the white house, and I really hope I am around to read and see it. I also think he is going to do a lot of incredible work in the years to come. I am a big fan of Hillary's but I do understand I won't see his likes again in my lifetime. Not as President. No way. I feel very lucky to have been here for the Obama years, which I believe changed the country and we will begin to see that in retrospect, as we always do.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

ZappasGuitar (07-29-2016)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    El Oh El. "Conservative writer" Ron Fournier?!?!?! I mean I guess when you're as left as TPM everyone is to the right.

I follow Fournier on Twitter. He writes for the Atlantic and is not conservative. In fact he's not particularly ideological. He has written plenty negative about both Hillary and Trump. Funny thing is he's now starting to support Hillary.
    Fournier is like that insidious kind of con, in that he runs a con. He is one of the not a republican republicans. I actually enjoy seeing TPM calling him out on that. That's probably Josh who is a very interesting person. I used to talk to him in email way back in the day when he first started his blog, and I used to find him too middle of the road. That's a reflection on me not him. I had a few arguments with him. This was years ago. Anyway he seems to have almost grown into an old grouch, not exactly an old grouch. Well he doesn't suffer fools let's say that. I am surprised at how much I enjoy him these days. Years ago I didn't. I have to say I'd love to have a beer with him today!

Well except that I don't drink beer but you know what I mean.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Obama's legacy is the ACA......thats it....his one accomplishment.....

and record national debt if you wanna be fair.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grind Is A LIAR View Post
    I think that Sandy Hook changed him forever. That shook him to his depths and you could see it. I read that he grappled with what to say to the parents because he told friends he would be inconsolable if it were one of his daughters. I think there is so much to come out about him and his years in the white house, and I really hope I am around to read and see it. I also think he is going to do a lot of incredible work in the years to come. I am a big fan of Hillary's but I do understand I won't see his likes again in my lifetime. Not as President. No way. I feel very lucky to have been here for the Obama years, which I believe changed the country and we will begin to see that in retrospect, as we always do.
    This is obviously a much smaller thing that what we're talking about, but I read yesterday about an appearance he has coming up on Anthony Bourdain's CNN show. They had lunch at a cheap restaurant in SE Asia. Bourdain said that of all of the shows he has done (pretty much countless), Obama was one of about 2-3 guests he could remember who asked the camera crew if they got to eat, asked them about their lives & took the time afterward to take a picture w/ them.

It's just not an act with him. I agree on what's to come. Like Carter, I think he could be one of our best ex-Presidents, and most active in terms of helping others.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to him speaking at many conventions to come. His speech the other night actually inspired me just to do better in my own life. Can't say a lot of people have done that.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Cancel 2016.11 (07-29-2016), ZappasGuitar (07-29-2016)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is obviously a much smaller thing that what we're talking about, but I read yesterday about an appearance he has coming up on Anthony Bourdain's CNN show. They had lunch at a cheap restaurant in SE Asia. Bourdain said that of all of the shows he has done (pretty much countless), Obama was one of about 2-3 guests he could remember who asked the camera crew if they got to eat, asked them about their lives & took the time afterward to take a picture w/ them.

It's just not an act with him. I agree on what's to come. Like Carter, I think he could be one of our best ex-Presidents, and most active in terms of helping others.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to him speaking at many conventions to come. His speech the other night actually inspired me just to do better in my own life. Can't say a lot of people have done that.
    Oh wow that is such a great story! Yep I agree he is all that and I am looking forward to his post-presidency life too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-29-2016)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

neocon nevertrumpers should join the democrat party They agree with them on everything anyway.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    neocon nevertrumpers should join the democrat party They agree with them on everything anyway.
    You obviously don't have to share any personal info but are you willing to share how old you are?

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 65 Posts

I guess the "look, Putin" really worked for the Dems. Anything to avoid the massive failure of the DNC. But the good liberal media is already drumming up nothing but kudos for the DNC.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
    I guess the "look, Putin" really worked for the Dems. Anything to avoid the massive failure of the DNC. But the good liberal media is already drumming up nothing but kudos for the DNC.
    thats because they dont cover the protests considering msm writers have to submit thier articles to the dnc before printing are you surprised they are glowing about it?
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    thats because they dont cover the protests considering msm writers have to submit thier articles to the dnc before printing are you surprised they are glowing about it?
    I made a thread about that and not a single JPP DNC supporter commented on it. They did a great job of deflecting attention. Trump get's protester coverage, but not the DNC. They really are trying hard to pretend the email fiasco didn't happen and there were no protesters. They actually think the entire thing was a resounding success.