Members banned from this thread: Cancel 2016.11, evince, Rune, Legion Troll and Leonthecat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are young women are so FEEBLE: They can’t cope with ideas that challenge them?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Why are young women are so FEEBLE: They can’t cope with ideas that challenge them?

Claire Fox is Director of the Institute of Ideas. Her new book ‘I Find That Offensive!’ was published by Biteback in May.

By Claire Fox

Published: 01:25, 9 June 2016 | Updated: 07:23, 9 June 2016

• ‘Generation Snowflake’ describes a fragile, thin-skinned generation
    • Claire Fox says teenage girls began sobbing during debate on Ched Evans
    • She has written about the issue in a book called 'I Find That Offensive!'

Some of the girls were sobbing and hugging each other, while others shrieked. The majority appeared at the very least shell-shocked. It was distress on a scale appropriate for some horrible disaster. Thankfully, however, I wasn’t in a war zone or at the scene of a pile-up - but in a school hall filled with A-level students. What had provoked such hysteria? I’d dared express an opinion that went against their accepted way of thinking.

‘Generation Snowflake’ is a fragile, thin-skinned younger generation that can’t cope with conflicting views

‘Generation Snowflake’ is the term for these teens, one that’s now used frequently in the U.S. and becoming more common here. It describes a fragile, thin-skinned younger generation that can’t cope with conflicting views, let alone criticism. Being faced by a roomful of weepy teenagers certainly isn’t the only example of such behaviour I could cite, but it’s the most dramatic I have experienced. It happened when I was taking part in a debate at a North London school as director of the Institute of Ideas early last year.

The subject under discussion was footballer Ched Evans - who was then a convicted rapist and had just been released from prison (he’s since had his conviction quashed and is awaiting a retrial). His team, Sheffield United, had taken him back, and we were debating whether the subsequent furore was social justice or mob rule. I knew many wouldn’t agree with my stance, which was that Evans had completed his sentence and should be able to return to his profession. But during the final Q&A all hell broke loose. I dared suggest (as eminent feminists have before me) that rape wasn’t necessarily the worst thing a woman could experience. I expected robust discussion - not for them all to dissolve into outraged gasps of, ‘You can’t say that!’

Their reaction shocked me. I take no pleasure in making teenagers cry, but it also brought home the contrast to previous generations of young people, who would have relished the chance to argue back. It illustrated this generation’s almost belligerent sense of entitlement. They assume their emotional suffering takes precedence. Express a view they disagree with and you must immediately recant and apologise. But as I argue in my new book - I Find That Offensive! - Generation Snowflake believe it’s their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable.

This mindset is particularly rife in universities. The examples are beyond parody: a National Union of Students conference banning clapping as it might trigger trauma (‘please use jazz hands’, delegates were told); the Edinburgh University student threatened with expulsion from a meeting after raising her hand in disagreement. Last year, students at the University of East Anglia banned a Mexican restaurant from giving out sombreros because of racist stereotyping.

In March, Cambridge University banned an ‘Around The World in 80 Days’ themed party over fears wearing ethnic costumes might cause offence. Students demand that universities are ‘safe spaces’, free from opinions that will make them feel uncomfortable. There has been a rise in ‘No platforming’ - barring someone with controversial views from speaking at an event at all. Faced with such thin-skinned students, no wonder Oxford University has introduced ‘trigger warnings’ about ‘potentially distressing subject matter’ in law lectures on cases involving sexual violence. Never mind that a future in criminal law will mean dealing with all the unpleasant aspects of human experience.

The list goes on. And on.

She says The Reclaim The Internet campaign, launched by MPs such as Yvette Cooper and Maria Miller, only fuels stereotypes of young women as weak and fragile
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-09-2016 at 12:39 PM.

2. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-09-2016)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

philly rabbit (06-10-2016)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

You should come to Ohio Tom. Not only are our women not "feeble" but they come in quite handy if your mule up and dies on you.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You should come to Ohio Tom. Not only are our women not "feeble" but they come in quite handy if your mule up and dies on you.
    I suspect as per usual you didn't read the article, which was written by a feminist who has started an organisation called the Institute of Ideas. Do these human beasts of burden of which you speak have need of a safe space and trigger warnings?

http://www.instituteofideas.com/

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Default Why are young women are so FEEBLE: They can’t cope with ideas that challenge them?

Have you graduated to mules, are you bored with sheep?

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-09-2016 at 11:39 AM.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

---

Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

I Find That Offensive! - Generation Snowflake believe it’s their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable.

This mindset is particularly rife in universities. The examples are beyond parody: a National Union of Students conference banning clapping as it might trigger trauma (‘please use jazz hands’, delegates were told); the Edinburgh University student threatened with expulsion from a meeting after raising her hand in disagreement. Last year, students at the University of East Anglia banned a Mexican restaurant from giving out sombreros because of racist stereotyping.

In March, Cambridge University banned an ‘Around The World in 80 Days’ themed party over fears wearing ethnic costumes might cause offence. Students demand that universities are ‘safe spaces’, free from opinions that will make them feel uncomfortable. There has been a rise in ‘No platforming’ - barring someone with controversial views from speaking at an event at all
    it's more then just women, the entire generation is infested with "you can't say that"

10. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-12-2016)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-10-2016), philly rabbit (06-10-2016)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    I Find That Offensive! - Generation Snowflake believe it’s their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable.

it's more then just women, the entire generation is infested with "you can't say that"
    Yes that's true, it's all inappropriate and they are personally offended by just about almost everything.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-09-2016 at 03:54 PM.

13. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-12-2016)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

anatta (06-09-2016), philly rabbit (06-10-2016)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    I suspect as per usual you didn't read the article, which was written by a feminist who has started an organisation called the Institute of Ideas. Do these human beasts of burden of which you speak have need of a safe space and trigger warnings?

http://www.instituteofideas.com/
    I read the article Tom but WTF do I care? I'm a chauvinist pig. I like making young girls cry.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-10-2016)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Have you graduated to mules, are you bored with sheep?

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk
    you leave Dolly and Ruth out of this!

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not where I come from. You shouldn't let a handful of upper middle class spoiled soccer kids speak for an entire generation. The young ladies around here are as likely to bust your kneecap with a tire iron as cry over some ugly fact.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (06-09-2016)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes that's true, it's all inappropriate and they are personally offended by just about almost everything.
    What a crock of BS. My niece did three tours in Afghanistan. I'm sure you'd break down and cry before she would and she's no feminist either. Just a typical west Ohio rust belt redneck gal.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (06-12-2016)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not where I come from. You shouldn't let a handful of upper middle class spoiled soccer kids speak for an entire generation. The young ladies around here are as likely to bust your kneecap with a tire iron as cry over some ugly fact.
    I'm sure there are decent, hard working, honorable women and men.
    The article is illustrative of the mindset that is far too common. It's infested in academia- and academia reinforces the infestation.
    I mean this isn't fiction and the rise of censorship disguised as PC surely exists.

23. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-12-2016)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,085 Times in 4,701 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sure there are decent, hard working, honorable women and men.
    The article is illustrative of the mindset that is far too common. It's infested in academia- and academia reinforces the infestation.
    I mean this isn't fiction and the rise of censorship disguised as PC surely exists.
    You are sure there are decent, hardworking honorable women and men? Don't get out much or do you consort with criminals?

26. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-10-2016), Rune (06-09-2016)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    You are sure there are decent, hardworking honorable women and men? Don't get out much or do you consort with criminals?
    cherry picking my reply to Mott will get you nowhere.
    it's simply an acknowledgement that not everyone's mind is infested with that nonsense.
    Although our universities is becoming more entangled with PC censorship - the great majority of the population
    doesn't buy into it.

29. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-12-2016)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post: