Members banned from this thread: evince, zappasguitar, signalmankenneth, The Dude, Rune, Legion Troll, Cancel 2020.1, moon, iolo, Leonthecat and Buckly J. Ewer

Thread: CAKEGATE??

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default CAKEGATE??

Minister accuses Whole Foods of writing gay slur on cake

Whole Foods is being sued by an Austin minister who claims that the grocery store gave him a cake with a slur against gays.

In a video posted on YouTube, the Rev. Jordan Brown says he ordered a cake from the Whole Foods flagship store on Lamar Boulevard with the personalized message, "Love Wins." Instead, he says, the cake was delivered with the message "Love Wins Fag."

Brown, who is openly gay, said he reported the incident to a Whole Foods employee but was told that the store did nothing wrong and no action would be taken.

Whole Foods issued a statement on Monday: "The team member wrote ‘Love Wins’ at the top of the cake as requested by the guest and that’s exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store. Our team members do not accept or design bakery orders that include language or images that are offensive. Whole Foods Market has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination."

Kaplan Law Firm, whom Brown hired on Monday to represent him in a lawsuit against Whole Foods, said it contatcted Whole Foods’ corporate office on Friday but did not receive a "substantive response for more than three days" and filed the suit.

"Pastor Brown never asked for this to happen. He continues to be overwhelmed by the feelings of pain, anguish and humiliation because of this incident," Brown’s lawyer, Austin Kaplan, said in a statement on Monday. "He frequently shopped at Whole Foods, which makes this all the more shocking and disappointing."

"What really concerns him is knowing that unless some action is taken, this kind of thing could happen again, and that someone else might have to go through a similarly excruciating experience."

Brown is a founder of the Church of Open Doors, a non-denominational Christian church at 1620 E. Riverside Drive in southeast Austin.

Austin-based Kaplan Law Firm recently represented Jim Cato and Joe Stapleton in their successful federal lawsuit to secure a same-sex marriage license from Hood County, Texas.

BUT!!!!

Whole Foods taking legal action against cake accuser, releases video

Whole Foods Market said it is taking legal action against a Texas man who claims he purchased a cake from the retailer that included a slur against gay people.

Whole Foods also released its security footage video that it says contradicts the man’s claims.

Whole Foods on Tuesday said it has investigated and said the man, Jordan Brown, made fraudulent claims and would take legal action.

"After a deeper investigation of Mr. Brown’s claim, we believe his accusations are fraudulent and we intend to take legal action against both Mr. Brown and his attorney," the company said in the statement.

The retailer said Monday in response to Brown’s claims that their bakery team member wrote "Love Wins" at the top of the cake. This, the retailer recounted on Tuesday, was visible to Mr. Brown through the clear portion of the packaging.

"That’s exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store," the company said. "Whole Foods Market has a strict policy that prohibits team members from accepting or designing bakery orders that include language or images that are offensive."

The retailer went on to say Brown admitted that he was in sole possession and control of the cake until he posted his video, which showed the UPC label on the bottom and side of the box.

"After reviewing their security footage of Mr. Brown, it’s clear that the UPC label was in fact on top of the cake box, not on the side of the package," Whole Foods said. "This is evident as the cashier scans the UPC code on top of the box, which you can view here."

The company said it continues to stand behind its team member.

"We stand behind our bakery team member, who is part of the LGBTQ community, and we appreciate the team members and shoppers who recognize that this claim is completely false and directly contradicts Whole Foods Market’s inclusive culture, which celebrates diversity," the company said.

Brown can be seen approaching the check-out counter at :20.

If this truly occurred, wouldn't it have been better for him to draw attention to it, BEFORE he left the store??
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 10 Posts

"video has been removed by user"

Given the size of the window on that cake box, I'd call bullshit on his story, he'd have noticed and said something as soon as he was given the box.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Seems I can not edit my posts so I'll reply again (Ihate it when I have to do that).

I did find the video on youtube and the box was sealed with that sticky label most stores put on things in the deli so I'm gonna have to say it looks legit. Wonder why the randomness, maybe someone knew this guy or was just venting their frustration over a lousy day, who knows.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy Jones View Post
    Seems I can not edit my posts so I'll reply again (Ihate it when I have to do that).

I did find the video on youtube and the box was sealed with that sticky label most stores put on things in the deli so I'm gonna have to say it looks legit. Wonder why the randomness, maybe someone knew this guy or was just venting their frustration over a lousy day, who knows.

If you had read the information from the store, you would have seen that they say they put the barcodes on the top of the box, which appears to be supported in the video showing him going through the checkout line.

A reasonable person would have taken the opportunity to address this, at the store and not go home and then make a complaint.
    Chain of evidence and all that.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep, you are correct, in my reading of the OP I didn't not notice the "spoiler" button that revealed that; thanks. Totally was wondering what the big bolded "BUT!!!!" was for lol, got complacent.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy Jones View Post
    Yep, you are correct, in my reading of the OP I didn't not notice the "spoiler" button that revealed that; thanks. Totally was wondering what the big bolded "BUT!!!!" was for lol, got complacent.
    Glad I could help.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Glad I could help.
    And I appreciate that. I hate being wrong but will admit when I am.