View Poll Results: Should the states be able to nullify federal law and supreme court decisions?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • No

6 54.55%
  • Other

2 18.18%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should states be able to nullify federal law and supreme court decisions?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,870 Times in 21,642 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Troll View Post
    I beg to differ, but it's OK if you want to deny it.

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.
    I simply find your claims silly, but march on.. You have lost credibility with me, but it's not a big deal.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 648 Times in 283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I simply find your claims silly, but march on.. You have lost credibility with me, but it's not a big deal.
    I guess you've forgotten you sent me a PM with all your info a long time ago.

The upshot is, I know that you are an attorney, and wanted to vouch for you. Sorry if that was uncomfortable.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I guess you've forgotten you sent me a PM with all your info a long time ago.

The upshot is, I know that you are an attorney, and wanted to vouch for you. Sorry if that was uncomfortable.
    If you say so... I don't really care as long as the crazy's don't get my info. Why would I have sent you my info?

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you say so... I don't really care as long as the crazy's don't get my info. Why would I have sent you my info?
    Since you don't remember, we'll say no more about it. Nobody will get your info from me.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default Should states be able to nullify federal law and supreme court decisions?

Since you don't remember, we'll say no more about it. Nobody will get your info from me.
    Thanks for sending it to me. You can trust me

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    Thanks for sending it to me. You can trust me
    Now, that was funny.

Actually, a lot of you have PM'ed info to me over the years.

Of course, you didn't always know it was me you were confiding in, exactly.

But in accordance with JPP rules, I am bound to confidentiality.

Stay on topic, or this thread will be moved to the war zone, where you will find all threads that devolve to back and forth insults.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl Tuff View Post
    In your opinion should states be able to overturn federal law and/or supreme court decisions that would affect state's law? If so should it be one state, two states, a % of the country's states, or the majority of the country's states?

In my opinion I think that if congress passes a law that the states find to be unconstitutional or if the supreme court makes a ruling that a state finds to be unconstitutional, or a violation of a state's law, that if 10% of the country's states came together and deemed it unconstitutional that the law should be overturned. The 10% is just a starting point for the conversation but I do think that it would add one more piece of checks and balances to counter a rogue court or a bad decision by congress. What do you think?
    Im sorry Norah but that's an insanely bad idea.

First, it's a rehashing of the "States Rights" and "Nullification" arguments that were put to rest in 1865. Secondly it would turn our Constitution into so much toilet paper.

We live in a Republic and in a Republic people have rights. No where in our Constitution are the States granted the sole power to interpret which laws are constitutional and which are not.

The consequences of what you suggest is to convert our nation from a Republic, into a confederacy.

Guess what, it's been tried twice before and failed badly. The first time it failed it led our founding fathers to devise a democratic Republic based on self governance that has a strong central government.

What your suggesting is an aristocracy of good ole boys whom if they cannot have all things there way in all ways then they shall take their ball home and not play.

So yea...one of the worst ideas ever.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 04-04-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-05-2016)

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I know that currently federal law supersedes state law but that's not really my question. An amendment could be passed that could change how those checks and balances work and give more power to the states, and if that was the case then that's what this topic is asking. What % would it need to be or how would it need to work if you agreed? This was a big topic in the early days of our country and it pitted people like Alexander Hamilton and John Adams against people like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison for many years. It's a legitimate topic and a historical one too in my opinion.
    rRead your history Nora. It's been tried before. The consequences are a weak and ineffective central government. Each State could literally go it's own way in anything. Law, banking, cuurrency, foreign policy, commerce, national defense, etc, and it leaves no bulwark in which to protect individual rights broadly.

The consequences of such an amendment would be catastrophic and it is essentially unpatriotic as such an amendment would severe the ties that bind our States as a nation and would mean the end of America as a nation.

So you might want to consider such a reactionary notion as a colossally bad idea.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

These debates took place between our founding fathers and aren't things to be mocked or thought of as meaningless. We have the power to amend the constitution and to protect it if it's being abused.
    How is our constitution being abused? By expanding the scope of Liberty?

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No what i'm saying is that the debates they had years ago are still relevant today and that based on which direction the country is leaning towards can result in amending the constitution. The country didn't stay one way from Washington's term up until today, it changed its' focus right after Adams was president for example going into Jefferson's terms in office. Just because something has been one way for a while and just because the federal government has been consolidating more and more power over the years does not mean that the federalist model that has developed into what we have today is the way it must be.
    No but undermining the Constitution with an extremely bad idea our founding fathers tried and abandoned because it failed miserably is no solution.

What it really demonstrates is the fatal flaw of social conservatives ability to adapt to change and when I say " fatal" I mean it literally.

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson

I would not want to "remake" the government, but I would like to get us back to how this country was meant to be run which is by following the constitution and not following men.
    So what makes you the final arbiter of what our country was meant to be?
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 04-04-2016 at 08:54 PM.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't think blood is necessary right now, but I do think that there is a lot of cowardice and complacency among many Americans right now when it comes to standing up for what this country is all about and not letting the document that has made this country stand apart from all other to be ignored and looked at as meaningless. Would you say that this country is currently operating for the sake of the constitution or for the sake of men?
    I think our Constitution is working as it was meant to. Is a huge factor in why we are a dominant world power and your view represents the complaints and resentments of those whose failed ideas have lost in the market place of ideas and are unable to adjust to change and progress.

Reverting back to ideas of the past that have been tried and failed is no solution to our nations problems and it sure as hell is no way to lead a nation forward.

14. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, if you say so. I doubt its true, but if it is... thanks for confidentiality, I simply feel like one of these psycho's might show up at my doorstep some day angry.

Generally I don't care, I share my cell phone and personal info freely, but this place attracts some whackos. I don't care if ILA has my info for example, hes a whacko but also a pussy.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, if you say so. I doubt its true, but if it is... thanks for confidentiality, I simply feel like one of these psycho's might show up at my doorstep some day angry. Generally I don't care, I share my cell phone and personal info freely, but this place attracts some whackos. I don't care if ILA has my info for example, hes a whacko but also a pussy.
    You can rely on me, Counselor. I am often entrusted with sensitive, confidential matters, and have never breached the public trust.

16. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You can rely on me, Counselor. I am often entrusted with sensitive, confidential matters, and have never breached the public trust.
    Yea right and I can trust my Labrador retriever with my t-bone steak.