Members banned from this thread: evince, Legion Troll, Konono, Leonthecat and Buckly J. Ewer

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Holding gun makers accountable

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon2012 View Post
    You're clearly not reading what I'm writing- or you wouldn't be emphasizing in red that which I have already posted.
    The difference is that I understand what it is saying.

Article 34 of the 11th Protocol compels the court to, "receive applications from any person, non-governmental organisation or group of individuals claiming to be the victim of a
    violation by one of the High Contracting Parties of the rights set forth in the Convention or the protocols thereto."

I knew what you were arguing and I saw through your disingenuousness. That's precisely why I first said:

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis View Post
    I have not disputed that there exists legal mechanisms for persons to seek redress for injuries and violations by governments. Our dispute is whether those mechanisms are available to people who have suffered injuries at the hand of fellow private citizens not acting under any color of law or authority (e.g., criminal attack).

When this article speaks of "individual obligations" and "criminal law" it is in the context of the "individual as the bearer of individual obligations under international
    criminal law in the context of international armed conflicts. . . . the idea [can also be] applied to individual criminal responsibility for certain violations of humanitarian law committed in non-international armed conflicts" (i.e., ethnic cleansing).

Your article's "criminality" discusses heads of state and the military using their office / command / authority to commit war crimes, genocide, terrorism etc. It is not discussing murder between private citizens thus it speaks to NOTHING pertaining to our discussion of a "right to protection / safety" vs. legal indemnity of governments for failure to protect (in the context of armed self-defense / concealed carry).

The subject of the individual under international law is interesting though and I sincerely thank you for bringing it up and pressing your point because I have learned that the condition of the individual under international law is even more pitiful and sad than I originally thought. Your article even treats Article 34 of the 11th Protocol as an untested hypothetical, merely a thought experiment.

Here is the brutal truth about individual rights under international law:

The thought that any individual "right" can be said to exist under international law is not the outcome of any higher respect for individual rights or any sense of moral obligation to protect individuals; it is simply a confused theory that persists after a logical quandary is considered -- how can we hold individuals responsible for crimes against humanity in our court without recognizing some level of individual redress for victims?

That's it . . . That's the full and complete consideration regarding the origin and enforcement of "individual rights" under international law.

Face it, as your article states, the protection doctrine of the rights of the individual under international law is just now being cribbed together. The ambit of international law was only intended to fall upon nations. The system was grounded in the collective at the cost of the individual and the attempts to reverse-engineer individual protections are profoundly lacking.

Any claim like you are making that it is now being done out of some high-minded concern that is morally and in action, superior to and more advanced than the US system, is duplicitous and contemptible and in the final analysis, laughable.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,510 Times in 6,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're actually not disagreeing with me at all. In fact, you're tagging the principles and applications that I've produced and offering them as your own- which is in stark contrast to your original position that people don't have any rights to protection and even if they did it would not apply to individuals. That's fine with me- but you don't have any humanitarian offerings of your own - quite the contrary. Your own view is mean and bleak and offers nothing for the population as a whole let alone for individuals. It's the position of the gunman.
    So I'm happy to have shown you a different viewpoint and the buds of a better system being introduced internationally. As for the fare you're serving- I don't want any, thank you very much.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're actually not disagreeing with me at all.
    That's some funny shit right there . . .

In fact, you're tagging the principles and applications that I've produced and offering them as your own- which is in stark contrast to your original position that people don't have any rights to protection and even if they did it would not apply to individuals.
    You've misrepresented what international law is and lied about what it does; you don't know what your position is so you can't be an authority on what mine is. You are prevaricating into utter meaninglessness.

That's fine with me- but you don't have any humanitarian offerings of your own - quite the contrary.
    I made no statements about the justness or how nice the law is . . . I just said what the law is.

Your own view is mean and bleak and offers nothing for the population as a whole let alone for individuals. It's the position of the gunman.
    No other system and certainly not international law, respects and protects the rights of the individual and affords the individual more access to the courts than the US system. You ahve yet to demonstrate any instance where a government can be held liable for failure to protect a person from crime or to keep them safe. If you think you have that's only because you haven't a clue about what we are discussing.

So I'm happy to have shown you a different viewpoint and the buds of a better system being introduced internationally.
    At least you recognize that respect and enforcement of individual rights is in its infancy under international law. Perhaps in a couple decades your claims there can be revisited and discussed but for the immediate future any claims that it is "better" is pure fantasy.

As for the fare you're serving- I don't want any, thank you very much.
    And that's fine. I have no desire to force you to accept anything you don't want . . . See, that's the most important difference between us; statist authoritarians like you need to force compliance and conformity and need to repel individuality and individual rights of conscience and self-determination.

It is that core need to be control (and be controlled) that forces you to accept authoritative, centrally controlled political systems.

So just stay where you are, enjoy your diminished existence and please, keep your joyous need to control focused on your fellow subjects . . . We on this side of the pond threw off your shitty attitude quite a while ago; we have no interest in regressing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abatis For This Post:

Rune (03-19-2016)

5. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Having , on several occasions , emphasized that Americans have no right to protection by the police you now claim that US law is superior , worse, that it represents some imagined zenith. Where is your appreciation of Human Rights Acts practiced elsewhere ? Are you aware that individuals in European countries can not only take breaches of their rights to their national courts but can also appeal to higher international courts if unsatisfied ? Europe- whose population dwarfs that of the US- has a dedicated Court of Human Rights which, like national courts , is open to individuals.
    No other system and certainly not international law, respects and protects the rights of the individual and affords the individual more access to the courts than the US system.
    You say ? This is a nonsense. To which international court can Americans appeal if wronged by their own ?

Europeans, of course, enjoy a Right to Life under their Conventions and their police swear under oath to uphold their rights. Should anybody search online for ' Police duty of protection ' they will find page after page describing how US law neglects to provide them with protection by the police. How is this a better legal protection than others enjoy ? It clearly is not- and I feel I'm relating the obvious to a patriotic windbag.

What are you doing to improve the rights of individual Americans- which you appear to enjoy diminishing- apart from seeking to provide them with deadly weapons ?
    Last edited by moon; 03-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Maria Ressa.

6. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Having , on several occasions , emphasized that Americans have no right to protection by the police you now claim that US law is superior , worse, that it represents some imagined zenith. Where is your appreciation of Human Rights Acts practiced elsewhere ? Are you aware that individuals in European countries can not only take breaches of their rights to their national courts but can also appeal to higher international courts if unsatisfied ? Europe- whose population dwarfs that of the US- has a dedicated Court of Human Rights which, like national courts , is open to individuals.
    Individuals can only petition the international court to redress injuries caused "by one of the High Contracting Parties of the rights set forth in the Convention".

You are not being honest or forthright in arguing your position.

The court would refuse argument brought by an individual against another individual who was not acting under governmental authority.

Nor would entertain any claim against a municipal police force for failure to protect (even if said police force took an oath to protect - as you previously claimed) because that police force would not be, "one of the High Contracting Parties of the rights set forth in the Convention".

You continue to fail in making your point that international law affords redress for individuals who have been harmed by other private individuals or claims against a police force for failure to protect.

You choose to ignore (purposely I would guess) that the court's jurisdiction is limited to hearing claims of violations by nations and individuals acting under official authority and that is fatal to your argument.

Europeans, of course, enjoy a Right to Life under their Conventions and their police swear under oath to uphold their rights.
    And I keep asking you to stay on topic and provide any example of this court being used to secure for an individual, redress for not being protected from criminal attack. Your expansion of the discussion to a protection doctrine for war crimes and genocide, is disingenuous at best given the starting point of this discussion and the limited scope of the US law indemnifying government officials.

Should anybody search online for ' Police duty of protection ' they will find page after page describing how US law neglects to provide them with protection by the police. How is this a better legal protection than others enjoy ? It clearly is not-
    It's better because it is the only legitimate standard to enforce. It hasn't been arrived at out of hostility for individual rights but the legal reality of what a right is and who can be held responsible for its violation.

As I've said before, claiming a right exists means an entity has been assigned liability / legal responsibility for its violation.

This is an easy assignment when the right is a recognized immunity from government action and a government official or agency exceeds its legitimate powers and violates said right . . . As we see, this can run the gamut from banning a book to an unjustified killing by a cop . . . Fine, bring your claim against government, state your case, the court decides.

Our present discussion has none of those qualities. You can't demonstrate that this international court will hold liable any government entity for actions of a non-governmental individual.

I can't even imagine how a society or governing system would function if a citizen could sue the government for being harmed [I]by another private citizen . . . For not being kept safe or "protected". Please, I'm begging you, pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top, explain how that works, show me how it works. You say it is how things are under international law but you have yet to offer any proof that it is so . . .

and I feel I'm relating the obvious to a patriotic windbag.
    And I feel like I'm trying to explain to a four year old who is demanding a unicorn for his birthday, that they just are not real. Problem is though, you are an adult and quite adept at misrepresentation; you have glued a horn on a pony and are demanding I recognize it as a unicorn.

What are you doing to improve the rights of individual Americans- which you appear to enjoy diminishing- apart from seeking to provide them with deadly weapons ?
    Sigh.

My argument can be boiled down to, since no government can provide absolute safety to its citizens, it is illegitimate for a government to forbid the citizens the possession of the means of self-defense.

7. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

‘Ready to fire’ cellphone-shaped double-barrel handgun could be released

A new two-shot, double-barreled handgun can be neatly folded into the shape of a box resembling a smartphone – and its release is making police nervous.

The concept handgun, patent pending, would be manufactured by Ideal Conceal, a Minnesota startup. The .380 caliber pistol is small enough to be folded into a palm-sized square that can be easily slipped into a back pocket. Because it looks similar to a smartphone, it could be left out in plain view on a shop counter without arousing suspicions

https://www.rt.com/usa/336512-cellphone-like-handgun/
    The American public should be given protection from irresponsible and malignant capitalist gun manufacturers. Repeal the 2005 Act.

Maria Ressa.

8. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No comment from the manufacturers' fans ?

Maria Ressa.

9. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Shouldn't you be working for the victims of yesterdays attack to sue in international court to enforce their horribly violated "right to protection" and "right to safety"?

But no, still posting complaints about a nation thousands of miles from you and their governmental system you are profoundly ignorant of.

Your message is not compelling and it so bucks the flow of American sentiment it just is laughable.

Go meddle in some issue on your side of the pond; your interest in the US holds no interest for us.

10. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis View Post
    Shouldn't you be working for the victims of yesterdays attack to sue in international court to enforce their horribly violated "right to protection" and "right to safety"?

But no, still posting complaints about a nation thousands of miles from you and their governmental system you are profoundly ignorant of.

Your message is not compelling and it so bucks the flow of American sentiment it just is laughable.

Go meddle in some issue on your side of the pond; your interest in the US holds no interest for us.
    Has this ' cell-phone ' gun caused you some doubts or is your blanket support of lethal design and the rights of malignant manufacturers still intact ?

Maria Ressa.

11. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Has this ' cell-phone ' gun caused you some doubts or is your blanket support of lethal design and the rights of malignant manufacturers still intact ?
    Absolutely no doubts whatsoever because I actually have some knowledge.

The concept of a disguised firearm is not new.

Under federal law the ownership of such disguised guns is very regulated, in fact by the same law that regulates the acquiring and owning of a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, a silencer or flame-thrower.

The transfer tax on such a weapon (considered an "any other weapon" -- AOW) is lower though, $5 IIRC, as opposed to $200 for a machine gun.

Has your histrionic over reaction caused you some doubts or is your Euro-weenie irrational fear of Americans and their guns and your irrepressible urge to give your uninformed opinion still intact?

12. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your continuing support for malignant fire-arms manufacturers bears all the hallmarks of rightist extremism . Knowledge of the scurrilous details of the filthy trade does not qualify as intelligence.

Maria Ressa.

13. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Your continuing support for malignant fire-arms manufacturers bears all the hallmarks of rightist extremism . Knowledge of the scurrilous details of the filthy trade does not qualify as intelligence.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Abatis (03-23-2016), cawacko (03-23-2016)

15. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Of course, we're all mightily impressed by the suggestion of sarcastic condescension by the Thumbs Up Tart.

Maria Ressa.

16. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your continuing support for malignant fire-arms manufacturers bears all the hallmarks of rightist extremism
    And your unhinged crusade against lawful business and utter contempt for the public policy decisions of US citizens implemented through our representative democratic process, bears all the hallmarks of leftist dictatorial absolutism.

Knowledge of the scurrilous details of the filthy trade does not qualify as intelligence.
    When one is limited to spittle-spraying emotionalism and hyperbolic fear-mongering, I can see how actual knowledge and intelligent, fact-based explanations are seen as things to be feared, avoided and denounced. And you wonder why your claims to be a competent voice for discussing these issues of public policy are dismissed (with laughter).
    Last edited by Abatis; 03-23-2016 at 10:28 AM.

17. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You think that the incendiaries of heaps of dead schoolchildren and halls of residence running with blood are the results of ' lawful business '- I do not. As I said previously, knowledge of the details of the filthy trade does not amount to intelligence- and support for it stems from ignorance.

Are you looking forward to your matching brace of cell-phone guns ? It won't to too long before mindless killers can upload images of their victims with the same implement they killed them with. Your ' lawful business ' executives are laughing along with you.

Maria Ressa.