Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas r

1. #511 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Good question. I don't. I'm assuming it will based on increased partisan interests butt I have no proof of that. I wouldn't expect it to be a dramatic increase.
    But Mott.
    You said the following:

Both good point and if a SCOTUS nominee isn't confirmed before the election that situation will only increase vote turn out and the conventional wisdom is that a large voter turnout put the GOP at a disadvantage. Even if the GOP nominates a establishment candidate they are really behind the electoral vote landscape.
    You didn't frame it as an opinion and made it look like it was something that had support.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. #512 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    your party would lose everything

your voter ID laws are keeping people from voting huh

its the only way your shits can win
    Why don't you tell me how voter ID's keep people from voting!!

But if you decide to just go off and continue ranting, I'm just going to laugh in your face.

3. #513 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I did appreciate it but you are just too dumb. I can't help myself. I've never known of an adult as willfully dumb as you are. Your role is clearly in the kitchen making sandwiches, not talking with the big boys about politics. Personally, I long for the day where you drown yourself in the ocean so the entire globe can have the average iq climb ten points. Your stupidity honestly makes me hate you, and I don't really hate people. But I see you as the epitome of the dumb, overconfident uninformed voter that makes up their mind via the huffington post. A textbook prole if there ever was one. A hypocritical unprincipled circle jerking rah rah partisan with no regard for the consequence of their own actions. You are a drain on this site and my mental well being. You suck.
    Grind:
    Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

4. #514 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    yeah it just goes to show that conservatives are the principled ones, even to a fault. A liberal judge would never go against something they personally believed. EVER.
    Yeah, even when they know it is right.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (02-16-2016)

6. #515 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas r

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Yes I can. The very existence of the Constitution.

If the people are free to elect a government that in turn is free to do ANYTHING to the people as a whole, what is the purpose of the Bill or Rights?

How can a Federal Government be held accountable for violations of the Bill of Rights without a Court to review if the laws are a violation of those rights?

If there is no mechanism for review, what purpose is a Bill of Rights? Without such review, the elected officials are in effect without limit to their power, the government is tyrannical.
    This is nothing but blather.

There is no text in the Constitution that expressly gives the Supreme Court those powers.

I have never come across writings indicating that was the ORIGINAL INTENTION of the founders. In fact everything I have read was that the Supreme Court was intended to be the weakest of the branches

The US Constitution does not need interpretation. It says what it says or it really doesn't mean anything at all

Those that say it is a "living document" are traitors to this country who know the Constitution doesn't allow them to do what they want to do so they mysteriously fund hidden rights or twist the law to serve predetermined outcomes. Even B. Hussein Yobabymama acknowledges that the US Constitution is predicated in negative rights meaning it outlines what the government CAN'T do. It doesn't outline what the government should give you.

Epic fail on your part counselor. You really are a shitty lawyer. I bet all of the judges where you live laugh when they see your name on the docket

7. #516 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes I can. The very existence of the Constitution.

If the people are free to elect a government that in turn is free to do ANYTHING to the people as a whole, what is the purpose of the Bill or Rights?

How can a Federal Government be held accountable for violations of the Bill of Rights without a Court to review if the laws are a violation of those rights?

If there is no mechanism for review, what purpose is a Bill of Rights? Without such review, the elected officials are in effect without limit to their power, the government is tyrannical.
    dude.....the issue isn't whether there is a mechanism for review.......the issue is whether the courts have the power to change the constitution.......obviously they should not.....

8. #517 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Waiting till November could backfire

9. #518 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    dude.....the issue isn't whether there is a mechanism for review.......the issue is whether the courts have the power to change the constitution.......obviously they should not.....
    Dude, was asking for proof that The Courts have the power to invalidate unconstitutional laws.

10. #519 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dude, was asking for proof that The Courts have the power to invalidate unconstitutional laws.
    ????.....no he wasn't......he was arguing about judicial activism with Mott.....

11. #520 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    I don't think the GOP can put this off until after the election. It's a huge risk if they do - going an entire year without filling a vacancy?

Not gonna happen.
    Nor will they confirm another Obama appointed far left justice.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

12. #521 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

13. #522 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    You want Hillary or Bernie to pick the next justice?
    Either would be better than Obama making a pick.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

14. #523 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Nor will they confirm another Obama appointed far left justice.
    Obama was elected President. It's not their call.

The next Prez will probably name at least 3 justices to the court, regardless.

15. #524 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

16. #525 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ahh and this is based on what rational? Because Fox News, Breitbart, Newsmax and Rush Limbaugh told you so? LOL

Obama is what he has always been. A pragmatic center left Democrat. Now granted compared to the far right GOP base in this nation that makes him a communist but you kinda have to consider the source there.

The fact is that there are only two parties in this nation. A far right wing party and a center left party.
    Pure nonsense. You can scream about Fox news all you want. It is the standard bullshit the left tosses out in their pathetic attempts to shut down discussion. Obama is not even close to being center left and it is pure comedy that you think he has been pragmatic. He is the most divisive President in modern age. His idea of compromise is 'I won... do what I want you to or I will label you an obstructionist'.

He is 1000% ideologue.
    Quote from Cypress: