Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Drinking Hours, Fewer Accidents

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Default More Drinking Hours, Fewer Accidents

This does not imply that drinking is harmless, regardless of what idiots like pmp, yoda or taft will claim. Prohibition and/or the attempt to regulate behavior oftens lead to unintended consequences and only makes matters worse.

http://www.cato.org/blog/more-drinki...ewer-accidents

Does restricting access to alcohol reduce traffic accidents? Not necessarily, according to a recent study by economists from the University of Lancaster:

Recent legislation liberalised closing times with the object of reducing social problems thought associated with drinking to “beat the clock.” Indeed, we show that one consequence of this liberalization was a decrease in traffic accidents. This decrease is concentrated heavily among younger drivers. Moreover, we provide evidence that the effect was most pronounced in the hours of the week directly affected by the liberalization; late nights and early mornings on weekends.
    The authors also suggest that the restrictive closing times caused more traffic congestion (everyone left the pubs at the same time), increasing the scope for accidents.

So more freedom seems to generate better outcomes, presumably because most people use increased freedom sensibly.
    Last edited by Timshel; 04-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 960 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 127 Posts
    Blog Entries

What if standard equipment on automobiles was a breathalyzer? Too much to drink car won't start.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

They've had this discussion here recently in San Francisco where all bars close at 2 but there has been debate whether they should stay open to 4. The obvious concern, which the above article addresses, is public safety and drunk drivers along with costs. I saw someone in the California state senate is trying to pass a bill that would allow those places that already stay open until 4am but don't serve alcohol past 2am to serve alcohol to 4am.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between cities like SF which close at 2am and Chicago and New York which close at 4. I'm all for the staying open later.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by XLVIII DOMINATORS View Post
    What if standard equipment on automobiles was a breathalyzer? Too much to drink car won't start.
    Meaning someone has to blow into it every time they get into their car for it to start? Would you really want to do that?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Wow...2 am and 4 am. The only time I am up that late/early is if I'm fighting a fire or getting out of bed to go fishing.

Edit: Added "early"

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ehhh, Self Driving Cars will be out soon... case solved.
    You Are Not So Smart Podcast - A celebration of Self-Delusion

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DigitalDave For This Post:

J Craft (04-22-2014), Minister of Truth (04-23-2014), The Dude (04-24-2014)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Meaning someone has to blow into it every time they get into their car for it to start? Would you really want to do that?
    Not sure, probably wouldn't love it, but I'm sure if it were standard equipment I'd get used to it. I'm sure innovation could come up with a sleek and innocuous styling. Maybe auto insurance rates would drop as fewer drunks would be on the road. Maybe we could even reduce the number of cops needed to patrol the highways and incarcerate the drunks?

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    They've had this discussion here recently in San Francisco where all bars close at 2 but there has been debate whether they should stay open to 4. The obvious concern, which the above article addresses, is public safety and drunk drivers along with costs. I saw someone in the California state senate is trying to pass a bill that would allow those places that already stay open until 4am but don't serve alcohol past 2am to serve alcohol to 4am.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between cities like SF which close at 2am and Chicago and New York which close at 4. I'm all for the staying open later.
    that would be interesting. when i used to bar hop etc...we never stopped at two...we simply went somewhere else to drink.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Not sure, probably wouldn't love it, but I'm sure if it were standard equipment I'd get used to it. I'm sure innovation could come up with a sleek and innocuous styling. Maybe auto insurance rates would drop as fewer drunks would be on the road. Maybe we could even reduce the number of cops needed to patrol the highways and incarcerate the drunks?
    i would never get used to blowing into a breathalyzer everytime i drove. i often drive with clients or associates and it would be a major inconvenience for little benefit. i have no doubt they would be easy to turn off.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i would never get used to blowing into a breathalyzer everytime i drove. i often drive with clients or associates and it would be a major inconvenience for little benefit. i have no doubt they would be easy to turn off.
    It's hard to say how innovative it could get. I can't dismiss the benefit as littlle in light of drunk driving deaths, arrests, and the ensuing costs.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or we'd just disable it. Fuck you and your fascist idea.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (04-23-2014), The Dude (04-24-2014), Timshel (04-23-2014)

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I'm all for removing the legal curfew. That said, if the bars stay open 24 hours, then drunks are going to be wandering out into the morning commute, rather than simply into the dead of night. The idea that this will actually limit damages, DUIs, and deaths seems highly unlikely. The curfew is an unncessary government intrusion, though. It's bad enough that adults under the age of 21 are prohibited from being allowed to partake.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Pearse View Post
    Or we'd just disable it. Fuck you and your fascist idea.
    Tell me how you really feel.

Safety equipment already has its fascist ass planted in automobile designs. The lawful rationale for such designs is that costs associated with not having them justified their requirements. I only theorized about this dude, as it aligns with other similar safety equipment.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tell me how you really feel.

Safety equipment already has its fascist ass planted in automobile designs. The lawful rationale for such designs is that costs associated with not having them justified their requirements. I only theorized about this dude, as it aligns with other similar safety equipment.
    I'm not a fan of the idea at all. If we want to put breathalyzer's in cars for people who have received DUI's then that's one thing and I can understand that argument. Otherwise do not like.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

UNCLE on the breathalyzer.