Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: @Rune: Estate taxes should be severely reduced

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default @Rune: Estate taxes should be severely reduced

estate taxes in the US are ridiculously high. the theory behind this is that we should not allow the rich to continue to propagate their wealth and that we should spread the money around to other citizens.

this is not what this country was founded on, nor should any country embrace this. if you worked your life and earned X, it should not be taxed at a higher rate than Y upon death. further, you have already been taxed on that money. death taxes are mostly absurd, but there is some logic in it. i will live the logic part up to rune to debate.

i propose a flat 15% estate tax.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thats about 15% too high imo. I see no justification for such a tax.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

15% isn't bad as long as it doesn't kick in on estates under at least a couple million. .
    I disagree with your contention as to why they are taxed though. That is just the justification used. The real reason is that legislators are expensive and they need to get money from anywhere they can find it.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (04-10-2014)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    15% isn't bad as long as it doesn't kick in on estates under at least a couple million. .
    I disagree with your contention as to why they are taxed though. That is just the justification used. The real reason is that legislators are expensive and they need to get money from anywhere they can find it.
    Why the distinction on estate worth ? If its wrong fir this one how is it right for that one ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

it is not my contention, it is the justification. please learn the difference. what i gather is, your position is that you're ok with estate taxes above a couple of million, but nothing under. is this correct?

i agree with you about legislators. they can and do tax anything that walks or breathes...oh wait...we're talking about death taxes...so they will tax anything, living or not.

why shouldn't everyone pay 15%? my proposal is under the current rates for all citizens.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Why the distinction on estate worth ? If its wrong fir this one how is it right for that one ?
    Did I say it was wrong? Why do we have a progressive tax system? Why should estate tax be different?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

maineman (04-10-2014)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

just remember app rules apply for this debate

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    it is not my contention, it is the justification. please learn the difference. what i gather is, your position is that you're ok with estate taxes above a couple of million, but nothing under. is this correct?

i agree with you about legislators. they can and do tax anything that walks or breathes...oh wait...we're talking about death taxes...so they will tax anything, living or not.

Honestly I don't know what the lower limit should be. I picked $2 million out of thin air, figuring that if one were to inherit $2 million, they could well afford to pay $300,000 in tax. Perhaps it should be 5 million or one million. 5 might be better, because I know quite a few millionaires who are not "wealthy", but their assets total over a million. This is a common byproduct of gentrification. Middle class millionaires. Were one to inherit real assets worth over a million (for example one's family homestead) but no cash, and be required to pay $150,000 for the privilege of remaining in one's lifetime home, yet not be capable of doing so, an injustice has occurred.

why shouldn't everyone pay 15%? my proposal is under the current rates for all citizens.
    Why should everyone pay? Is it because everyone should have "skin in the game"? (what a disgusting phrase).

The intention of estate taxes are clear, as you alluded to in your opening, to prevent dynastic accumulations of wealth to the point at which they are detrimental to democracy. Such a situation exists today, where the legislators do the bidding of those who donate the most. Legal bribery. Legal only because those who benefit from it made it so.
    Morally incorrect however, and in the true sense of a representative republic, not justifiable (shouldn't be legal).
    That being the case, everyone having to pay does nothing to accomplish the purported goal.

I am not moving the goal posts here. I do not believe one can actually legislate morality or accomplish specific goals through legislation due to the law of unintended consequences, however we must try. The reason it can't work of course is that those who benefit are those who would have to make the changes and they don't want to. Furthermore, there will always be loopholes which the wealthy will and do find.

Therefore, since there can be no actual affect (other than cursory) on the great fortunes already accumulated, the best we can hope for is to tax large estates for whatever we can get away with and attempt to pay down the national debt so the GOP can no longer use is as an excuse to cut social services.

Furthermore, allowing those inheritors under a certain level to inherit untaxed does have the additional benefit of working against wealth inequality, an issue which will have increasingly dire consequences.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

There are a variety of inheritance taxes. Feds allow you to keep the first $5 million. After that, each state is different. In N.Y, the first $million is free, then the next $100k is taxed at app.33%. From there, it drops to almost nothing. Real estate basis changes to the value of the property at death, so cap gains is considerably lower...but it increases the overall value of the estate.

IMO, if an estate was built via using assets as tax shelters, then said estate should be taxed. Commercial properties take depreciation every year, and mortgage/taxes are 100% deductible.

Residences are different. It's a hardship when, as mentioned above, a family has to come up with vast sums of cash, solely to keep a property in the family. If I'm not mistaken, a family can continue to live in a residence without paying estate taxes.

As well, there are a variety of trusts and gifting laws that allow you to reduce the size of the estate
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Honestly I don't know what the lower limit should be. I picked $2 million out of thin air, figuring that if one were to inherit $2 million, they could well afford to pay $300,000 in tax. Perhaps it should be 5 million or one million. 5 might be better, because I know quite a few millionaires who are not "wealthy", but their assets total over a million. This is a common byproduct of gentrification. Middle class millionaires. Were one to inherit real assets worth over a million (for example one's family homestead) but no cash, and be required to pay $150,000 for the privilege of remaining in one's lifetime home, yet not be capable of doing so, an injustice has occurred.

Why should everyone pay? Is it because everyone should have "skin in the game"? (what a disgusting phrase).

The intention of estate taxes are clear, as you alluded to in your opening, to prevent dynastic accumulations of wealth to the point at which they are detrimental to democracy. Such a situation exists today, where the legislators do the bidding of those who donate the most. Legal bribery. Legal only because those who benefit from it made it so.
    Morally incorrect however, and in the true sense of a representative republic, not justifiable (shouldn't be legal).
    That being the case, everyone having to pay does nothing to accomplish the purported goal.

I am not moving the goal posts here. I do not believe one can actually legislate morality or accomplish specific goals through legislation due to the law of unintended consequences, however we must try. The reason it can't work of course is that those who benefit are those who would have to make the changes and they don't want to. Furthermore, there will always be loopholes which the wealthy will and do find.

Therefore, since there can be no actual affect (other than cursory) on the great fortunes already accumulated, the best we can hope for is to tax large estates for whatever we can get away with and attempt to pay down the national debt so the GOP can no longer use is as an excuse to cut social services.

Furthermore, allowing those inheritors under a certain level to inherit untaxed does have the additional benefit of working against wealth inequality, an issue which will have increasingly dire consequences.
    we agree on the reason for the tax, but not the amount. just because someone can "afford" to pay a tax, doesn't mean we should tax them. that is not what this country was founded on, nor is it any part of our current governmental philosophy. such a notion is akin to marxism. if we take that philosophy to its logical conclusion, then why not tax them 99% of their wealth...afterall...they can afford it.

you didn't really move the goal posts, but i don't believe estate taxes do anything to alleviate your concern about legal bribery. there will always be wealthy people and not every wealthy person inherits their money. there has been legal bribery since our founding and before taxes. taxes will never stop it. nor should taxes be the remedy to ending legal bribery. if you want to change that, don't steal people's money, create new campaign finance laws, but do not punish the wealthy simply for being wealthy. that is simply class warfare and something that should be beneath you.

taxing the wealthy estates to pay down the national debt is irresponsible. first, they have already been taxed. taxing them for political retribution (so the GOP can no longer use is as an excuse to cut social services) has to be the most heinous idea i've ever heard. you essentially want to use taxes to punish a political party. if you want to lower the national debt, how about cutting spending, cutting waste etc?

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest reading up on certain founders and their writings on inherited wealth and their fears of oligarchy and its threat do democracy.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

those writings were before we had an income tax...

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

IRRELEVANT

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    those writings were before we had an income tax...
    I'm sure you think this means something. Thomas Paine. Ground Rent. Read.

Also 1797 stamp tax. Then read Jefferson. Get back to us.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting