Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why America is fucked up

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why America is fucked up

Gallup poll shows that about 50 percent of Americans believe the universe is less than 10,000 years old. In other words, about half of America takes Genesis (a hold over myth from the bronze age) more seriously than the vast body of scientific evidence available to mankind.

George Bush got elected twice. Not only that but about a third of Americans still "strongly" support him.

We're willing to wage a costly war, yet we're going to wind up cutting funding for children's health care because it's too expensive.

Feel free to add to the list. You can't start to fix America if you don't identify it's faults.

Here's what I expect to see immediately:

Prototypical conservative: You hate America!

Me: No I don't. I love America.

Prototypical conservative: If you loved America, you wouldn't criticize it.

Me: No. The love I have for America is a mature kind of love that one has for a spouse or significant other. You recognize that you each have flaws and that you can work symbiotically to overcome your shortcomings and come out on the other side a stronger individual. The kind of love you have for your country is the kind of love a six-year-old girl has for her mommy. Mommy is always right and anyone who questions mommy is bad. This is an immature kind of love.

Prototypical conservative: What does prototypical mean?

So now that we're past that, go ahead and identify what you are embarrassed about with regards to America's shortcomings.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who was it that said:

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."

Oh yes, that was Bill Clinton.

I'll take that view.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Easy way to dodge, but that is a great quote. Sure beats, "Fool me once... uh.. uh shame on... you? Fool me twice... uh... uh cant get fooled again!"

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, I was going to pull out a Reagan quote, but I figured I'd use somebody that you would actually listen to.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Or you could actually address the post, potentially, and list some things you think are wrong with America that could be improved upon. Not just little things. I mean the things that really make you cringe to think about.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't want to think that heavily at this time of the night on a Friday. You'll just have to hold your horses.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And P.S. Why do you hate America?

- -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    Gallup poll shows that about 50 percent of Americans believe the universe is less than 10,000 years old. In other words, about half of America takes Genesis (a hold over myth from the bronze age) more seriously than the vast body of scientific evidence available to mankind.

George Bush got elected twice. Not only that but about a third of Americans still "strongly" support him.

We're willing to wage a costly war, yet we're going to wind up cutting funding for children's health care because it's too expensive.

Feel free to add to the list. You can't start to fix America if you don't identify it's faults.

Here's what I expect to see immediately:

Prototypical conservative: You hate America!

Me: No I don't. I love America.

Prototypical conservative: If you loved America, you wouldn't criticize it.

Me: No. The love I have for America is a mature kind of love that one has for a spouse or significant other. You recognize that you each have flaws and that you can work symbiotically to overcome your shortcomings and come out on the other side a stronger individual. The kind of love you have for your country is the kind of love a six-year-old girl has for her mommy. Mommy is always right and anyone who questions mommy is bad. This is an immature kind of love.

Prototypical conservative: What does prototypical mean?

So now that we're past that, go ahead and identify what you are embarrassed about with regards to America's shortcomings.
    i think it is the bart simpson attitude - i did not do it, no one saw me do it and you cannot prove that i did it --- or words to that effect

the term 'TANSTAFL' means little or nothing to most voters
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    I would like to see the source of this. If true, then alarming, but I just don't see how that many people can believe such hogwash.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I would like to see the source of this. If true, then alarming, but I just don't see how that many people can believe such hogwash.
    I'm with you on this. I sincerely hope that it's not true and I too have a hard time believing it. These two are, unfortunately, not unrelated, I'm sure.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    I'm with you on this. I sincerely hope that it's not true and I too have a hard time believing it. These two are, unfortunately, not unrelated, I'm sure.
    I don't disagree, and to each its own you know. But nearly half of all Americans beleieving that nonsense? I know there's always a sort of folks that are going to believe what they believe, and good on them. But the hard part for me is believing that this country is that fundamentally religiously adhered to such an untruth out of fear or dogma. I don't see it, and I hope never to have to.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/default.aspx?ci=21814

According to that, it's about 66 percent.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

... I'm adding the "definitely" and "probably" categories to come up with 66.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

I am embarassed that DUMBASS LEFTISTS have successfully argued (not philosophically but in terms of results) to grant this same booboise nearly unlimited power.