Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to retire the N-word -- for everyone

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default It's time to retire the N-word -- for everyone

I know there are multiple opinions on this issue but I think this woman makes a lot of good and interesting points. And although this column was written on Fox News I believe the author has pretty strong feminist credentials as well as being a Democratic strategist. I had not heard of her prior but apparently she called Tucker Carlson a bow tie wearing white boy on a Fox News show last year which made some headlines. (I think that's pretty funny but that's just me)

This is a very small part of the article but the last line jumped out at me and is ever prevalent on this board.

"""I do not believe Paula Deen is a racist. Advocates who give blacks permission to use “nigga,” yet are the first responders in labeling white people who use it as evil and diabolical fail to see the unintended consequences of their actions. Like how some people will keep trying desperately to find a word that is its equivalent, so they, too, can shackle so-called reverse racists (a foolish term).

I’ve experienced this first-hand. After calling Tucker Carlson a “white boy,” conservatives were quick to label me a racist. Would it have mattered to them had they known that Tucker referred to himself as a “white boy” at our first meeting in a green room? No. As far as they were concerned, Jehmu is a racist.

It positively wouldn’t have had any impact on them that I grew up speaking “Texan,” and “white boy” is quite common in conversation down there in them parts.

The #TCOT army would have dismissed the fact that the men I have chosen to love have predominantly been “white boys.” All that mattered is that Jehmu said “white boy” so she is a racist. Labeling someone a racist is becoming as American as apple pie."""

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...-for-everyone/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I know there are multiple opinions on this issue but I think this woman makes a lot of good and interesting points. And although this column was written on Fox News I believe the author has pretty strong feminist credentials as well as being a Democratic strategist. I had not heard of her prior but apparently she called Tucker Carlson a bow tie wearing white boy on a Fox News show last year which made some headlines. (I think that's pretty funny but that's just me)

This is a very small part of the article but the last line jumped out at me and is ever prevalent on this board.

"""I do not believe Paula Deen is a racist. Advocates who give blacks permission to use “nigga,” yet are the first responders in labeling white people who use it as evil and diabolical fail to see the unintended consequences of their actions. Like how some people will keep trying desperately to find a word that is its equivalent, so they, too, can shackle so-called reverse racists (a foolish term).

I’ve experienced this first-hand. After calling Tucker Carlson a “white boy,” conservatives were quick to label me a racist. Would it have mattered to them had they known that Tucker referred to himself as a “white boy” at our first meeting in a green room? No. As far as they were concerned, Jehmu is a racist.

It positively wouldn’t have had any impact on them that I grew up speaking “Texan,” and “white boy” is quite common in conversation down there in them parts.

The #TCOT army would have dismissed the fact that the men I have chosen to love have predominantly been “white boys.” All that mattered is that Jehmu said “white boy” so she is a racist. Labeling someone a racist is becoming as American as apple pie."""

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...-for-everyone/
    She'll now be labeled as a sellout, an oreo, working in the massa house, etc.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 610 Times in 560 Posts

fucking racist!!!
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

If you ban once-commonly-used words it will present major difficulties about references (Carlyle wrote a sick 'Occasional Discourse of the Nigger Question', for instance), about historical novels and dramas (how are people to talk about 'race' back then?) and about contemporary reference (I am inclined to point out, for instance, that 'Welsh' is the English equivalent of 'Nigger' in terms of emotional content). Banning words is a mug's game: it is the feeling they embody that needs looking at.
    Last edited by iolo; 07-12-2013 at 08:20 AM.

6. The Following User Groans At iolo For This Awful Post:

poet (07-12-2013)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

the only person you can control the lips and lungs of is YOURSELF.

marching around insisting people don't use a word that has so many deep meanings to so many people will lead to nothing but disappointment.

for one you will never have success and for another reason this word MEANS things in private to black people.

when me and my girls get together it is not unheard of for us to call each other bitch in the most endearing terms of all.

In a gaggle of certain aged women if you say to your girl friend "you are one awesome bitch" everyone knows what you mean.

Some Black people use the Nword the same way.

its not something a stranger can do.

Its not something a guy they don't know very well can do.

WHY is it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo painful for some on the right to just accept there is something black people can do that we are not allowed to do?

We built this country on the backs of people we treated like cattle.

Our fore fathers could have very well built this country without doing that.

other forefathers treated the children of these slaves like non humans for generations.

Now people in some places still hunt their children down for walking with skittles while black and shoot them.

the least you could do is quit whining about not being able to use a word in open public.

I to this day don't know what it was that Butter lady said but she has no constitutional rights to good press for her products.

I do remember some stupid thing about her wanting to do a plantation party where the servers were all black.

How could anyone say THAT out loud and not think they were racist?

Think about that one.

You think the people you will hire will be happy when they realize what you had planned?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-12-2013), poet (07-12-2013)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,523 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 139 Times in 129 Posts

Default Re: It's time to retire the N-word --

I don't care who calls who what....for the most part. The racism doesn't really show itself by that one word.....where it rears it's ugly head is how it's used in the post.

For example(and I'm only using the word as an example.... so bear with me)

Bob is my neighbor.... he's a nigger. Now, that would send up red flags among many of us...but In truth? It's really rather benign.

Now....here's a less subtle sentence....

Bob' my neighbor, he's a nigger.....Of that cotton pickin', watermelon eatin' tries to start some shit over that TrAyvon Martin fiasco.... IMA gonna shoot 'I'm du of holes!

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    I don't care who calls who what....for the most part. The racism doesn't really show itself by that one word.....where it rears it's ugly head is how it's used in the post.

Bob is my neighbor.... he's a nigger. Now, that would send up red flags among many of us...but In truth? It's really rather benign.

Bob' my neighbor, he's a nigger.....Of that cotton pickin', watermelon eatin' tries to start some shit over that TrAyvon Martin fiasco.... IMA gonna shoot 'I'm du of holes!
    Bob is my neighbor.... he's a mutha fuckin Honkey.

Here’s what is more predominately being said out there.

Bob' my neighbor, he's a mutha fuckin Honkey.....Of that plantation ownin', steak eatin' tries to start some shit over that George Zimmerman fiasco.... IMA gonna shoot 'I'm du of holes.

Blacks are the much, much more predominate racist in today’s society.
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

hahahahahahaha

todays white racists have a new tact.

they are the poor downtrodden oppressed people and blacks are the new slave masters.

dude I wish you could grok how idiotic you all sound

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post

It doesn't matter the context. It shouldn't be used. Least of all, by any whites. There is too much hurtful baggage attached to it. Why whites insist on being able to use it is beyond me. I say, go to the neighborhood mall, and repeat it until someone punches your lights out. And someone will.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Liberal View Post
    Bob is my neighbor.... he's a mutha fuckin Honkey.

Here’s what is more predominately being said out there.

Bob' my neighbor, he's a mutha fuckin Honkey.....Of that plantation ownin', steak eatin' tries to start some shit over that George Zimmerman fiasco.... IMA gonna shoot 'I'm du of holes.

Blacks are the much, much more predominate racist in today’s society.
    Oh, I get it...Classic Liberal is ironic. There is nothing classic or liberal about you. Blacks don't even come up on radar, as far as racism is concerned. Thanks for outing yourself as a bona fide racist. We already knew, however.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is how racists imagine black people talk about them.

Its a view straight into the pathology which is CLs brain functions or lack there of

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 222 Times in 203 Posts

If I read the original article correctly - and she seemed to ramble a bit, so I may not have - it sounds like she's saying NO ONE should use it, regardless of their race. That's the title as well.

I'm cool with that.

I understand the power of reclaiming derogatory words; gays have done it. My nom de plume is actually a way to reclaim "chick" as nonderogatory (although I do jump on people who use it to refer to women, just be aware)

But maybe the n-word has too horrible a history to ever be reclaimed.

However, it's not my decision; it's up to black people to decide if they want to repurpose it or retire it or whatever.

I do think it's not a word any white person should use. Period. No debate, no "when I grew up", no "but THEY use it". Don't use it.

Is Paula Deen a racist? I think to some degree, yes; not because she used the word, but because of the plantation party idea and the way some of her workers described how they were treated.

To any racists who might be on this board - it's 2013. Get over it. We know it's wrong. You have no excuse. Paula should have known better; she should have learned and grown. But she didn't.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    the only person you can control the lips and lungs of is YOURSELF.

marching around insisting people don't use a word that has so many deep meanings to so many people will lead to nothing but disappointment.

for one you will never have success and for another reason this word MEANS things in private to black people.

when me and my girls get together it is not unheard of for us to call each other bitch in the most endearing terms of all.

In a gaggle of certain aged women if you say to your girl friend "you are one awesome bitch" everyone knows what you mean.

Some Black people use the Nword the same way.

its not something a stranger can do.

Its not something a guy they don't know very well can do.

WHY is it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo painful for some on the right to just accept there is something black people can do that we are not allowed to do?

We built this country on the backs of people we treated like cattle.

Our fore fathers could have very well built this country without doing that.

other forefathers treated the children of these slaves like non humans for generations.

Now people in some places still hunt their children down for walking with skittles while black and shoot them.

the least you could do is quit whining about not being able to use a word in open public.

I to this day don't know what it was that Butter lady said but she has no constitutional rights to good press for her products.

I do remember some stupid thing about her wanting to do a plantation party where the servers were all black.

How could anyone say THAT out loud and not think they were racist?

Think about that one.

You think the people you will hire will be happy when they realize what you had planned?
    Did you even read the article Desh? This was written by a black woman (a feminist and Democratic one at that). I already stated hers was one of many opinions on the issue. I never stated hers was the only one.

Did you find any irony that this black woman is saying no one should use the n-word and yet a white woman (you) is saying there is nothing wrong with blacks saying it (even if it is only in private)? And you're really comparing woman saying "bitches" to each other to the n-word?

I'm not sure what gave you the idea that this article has anything to do with me thinking white people should be able to use the word. A truly honest question, what part of the subject (It's time to retire the n-word - for everyone) or my comments before the article gave you the impression that I wanted white people to be able to say the word?

Desh I'm well aware of the history of the word. I said multiple times on a thread right below this, which I know read, that white people should never use it and now you're attempting to lecture me on why white people shouldn't use?

This post isn't about the "right" Desh. It's about Americans. And as for Ms. Greene's comment that calling people racist today is as American as apple pie because here you are doing it again.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Oh, I get it...Classic Liberal is ironic. There is nothing classic or liberal about you. Blacks don't even come up on radar, as far as racism is concerned. Thanks for outing yourself as a bona fide racist. We already knew, however.
    Yeah I know, there’s nothing racist and separatist about the NAACP, Congressional Black Caucus, United National Negro College Fund, The Hoods, The Black Panthers and OJ slitting two white folks throats. Funny ain’t it how black men want to marry white women then kill them, huh? Funny how black folk claim all they want is ”integration” and then they form institutions to ”segregate” themselves from the rest of society, huh?

It’s standard procedure to be called a racist when we point out black racism? Identifying black racism isn’t politically correct according to the black and white brain-dead leftist brainwashed wussies, but it’s holier than thou to call honest white folks racist. If racism was music, you’d be a whole fucking orchestra.