Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Iran - North Korea: NATO War in Libya Proves Disarming Is Unwise

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

We never broke the armistace because of the presence of the USSR and China. Now that the Soviets are gone, and China's love affair with NK is coming to an end, the problem has become the nuclear capabilities.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    I am just wondering if it is only Western intervention that seems to bother you? So what about the Kenyan intervention in Somalia?

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kenya+d...z/-/index.html
    There are manner of interventions we could talk about. Exactly how much attention do you think will be paid on this board to the Kenyan intervention in Somalia?

I talk about lots of inter-African issues among appropriate audiences. This ain't one of them.

However, many here are concerned about the actions of THEIR government.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    There are manner of interventions we could talk about. Exactly how much attention do you think will be paid on this board to the Kenyan intervention in Somalia?

I talk about lots of inter-African issues among appropriate audiences. This ain't one of them.

However, many here are concerned about the actions of THEIR government.
    Well seeing as Somalia hasn't had a functioning government for 20 years and was being run by jihadists, murderous warlords and pirates, I think the intervention was well overdue. Britain is taking a lead in this and should be actively supported in this quest. It is also providing training for the Libyan armed forces including the navy and air force.

I also know a lot more about Somalia than most, there is a sizeable population of Somalis near where I live, indeed quite a few go to the same school as my sons went to, many have not been able to go back to visit for many years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...peration-libya

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...racy-terrorism

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well seeing as Somalia hasn't had a functioning government for 20 years and was being run by jihadists, murderous warlords and pirates, I think the intervention was well overdue. Britain is taking a lead in this and should be actively supported in this quest. It is also providing training for the Libyan armed forces including the navy and air force.

I also know a lot more about Somalia than most, there is a sizeable population of Somalis near where I live, indeed quite a few go to the same school as my sons went to, many have not been able to go back to visit for many years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...peration-libya

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...racy-terrorism
    I know .. you're a big fan of western intervention and of the UK's 'follow the leader' foreign policy.

You're free to support whomever you want. That doesn't matter to me.

What matters is the blowback.

Congratulations on the UK's amazing success in Iraq and Afghanistan. :0)
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I know .. you're a big fan of western intervention and of the UK's 'follow the leader' foreign policy.

As I have said about a zillion times already, I was totally against the 2003 invasion of Iraq. After 9/11 Bush should have gone into Afghanistan and concentrated on that when all the world was supporting him. Iraq was a terrible distraction from the main aim of removing the Taliban from power and keeping them out.

Of course I know full well that you believe that 9/11 was an inside job which really undermines your credibility as far as I'm concerned.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nice swerve there, avoiding discussing Somalia and the best chance it has had in a very long time to become a functioning society again.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As I have said about a zillion times already, I was totally against the 2003 invasion of Iraq. After 9/11 Bush should have gone into Afghanistan and concentrated on that when all the world was supporting him. Iraq was a terrible distraction from the main aim of removing the Taliban from power and keeping them out.

Of course I know full well that you believe that 9/11 was an inside job which really undermines your credibility as far as I'm concerned.
    A. You may have noticed that I stopped caring about what you think of credibility long ago. Why you continue to tell me what you think is beyond me.

B. The US/NATO/UK have beeen in Afghanistan for about 11 years and still haven't accomplished shit .. but you think the problem is they didn't go in soon enough?

Incredible.

Obvioulsy Iraq taught you nothing about the ignorance of our foreign policy.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nice swerve there, avoiding discussing Somalia and the best chance it has had in a very long time to become a functioning society again.
    I have no desire whatsoever to discuss Somolia with a british colonialist.

Think whatever you want.

Why would I give a fuck about what you think about Africa?

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have no desire whatsoever to discuss Somolia with a british colonialist.

Think whatever you want.

Why would I give a fuck about what you think about Africa?
    Yeh well, at least I can spell Somalia!! Actually both of my parents were born in Ireland but hey who cares anyway. I wonder how many Somalians you know, as I already said there are many in the city where I live in England and I know they don't see it as colonialism. Can you point to many countries in Africa which are well run functioning democracies and are not run by megalomaniacs like Robert Mugabe. It was people with attitudes like yours that just stood back and allowed 800,000 people to be hacked to death by Hutu butchers in Ruanda.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeh well, at least I can spell Somalia!! Actually both of my parents were born in Ireland but hey who cares anyway. I wonder how many Somalians you know, as I already said there are many in the city where I live in England and I know they don't see it as colonialism. Can you point to many countries in Africa which are well run functioning democracies and are not run by megalomaniacs like Robert Mugabe. It was people with attitudes like yours that just stood back and allowed 800,000 people to be hacked to death by Hutu butchers in Ruanda.
    Obviously you don't know how to spell Rwanda.

I'm working while I post .. so if spelling errors are your problem .. while you commit them yourself .. you should go talk to someone else .. preferably an 8th grader.

You don't get it .. I'M NOT THE SLIGHTEST BIT INTERESTED IN TALKING ABOUT AFRICA WITH A BRITISH COLONIALIST.

The pompous arrogance for nothing of some of you brits is indeed curious.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Obviously you don't know how to spell Rwanda.

I'm working while I post .. so if spelling errors are your problem .. while you commit them yourself .. you should go talk to someone else .. preferably an 8th grader.

You don't get it .. I'M NOT THE SLIGHTEST BIT INTERESTED IN TALKING ABOUT AFRICA WITH A BRITISH COLONIALIST.

The pompous arrogance for nothing of some of you brits is indeed curious.
    Oh ok, apparently it was pompous arrogant colonialism that wanted to stop the slaughter of Tutsis by Hutus. Jesus, your arrogance is breathtaking at times but pretty much par for the course for unrepentant Marxists. What really makes me laugh though is how you go on about Western imperialism blah blah blah blah but totally ignore how China is creating a new slave empire in Africa!!

http://www.zambian-economist.com/200...ve-empire.html

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread395987/pg1
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 02-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (02-24-2013)

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh ok, apparently it was pompous arrogant colonialism that wanted to stop the slaughter of Tutsis by Hutus. Jesus, your arrogance is breathtaking at times but pretty much par for the course for unrepentant Marxists. What really makes me laugh though is how you go on about Western imperialism blah blah blah blah but totally ignore how China is creating a new slave empire in Africa!!

Mindless .. that's absolutely MINDLESS.

Africans would rather deal with the China because they understand quid-pro-quo .. and don't see themselves as god.

China helps recast Africa in global economy

CHINA’s resurgent interest in Africa has spawned a bewildering variety of worldwide reaction. The response of the West has generally been negative and alarmist. Surprisingly, some in Africa have also uncritically embraced these responses.

Rather than a negative force, China’s involvement in Africa has recast Africa’s position in the global economy. It has contributed immensely to changed perceptions of Africa from a problem continent to one filled with endless business opportunity.

Africa faces many developmental challenges and without doubt it is the most stereotyped and maligned continent on this planet, and its people the most misrepresented. But it is important to note that Africa’s fortunes are on the rise.

Ten years ago the Economist magazine had a cover story that read: "Africa the Hopeless Continent". Late last year the same magazine had a completely different title: "Rising Africa".

According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), at least eight sub-Saharan countries are among the dozen or so positioned to show the highest growth rate in the world (about 7%): Angola, Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Rwanda and Sierra Leone.

It is important for Africa to consolidate these gains and not be distracted by debates framed by countries dealing with their own challenges.

Numerous myths abound regarding China’s involvement in Africa. These myths are framed in the narrative that China is the new super-donor or coloniser of the continent. But the fact is that in 1975 China had aid programmes in more African countries than the US Agency for International Development (USAID). China’s first official aid project in Africa was in the 1960s, and in 1975 it completed construction of the iconic Tanzania-Zambia railway.

In the 1990s, when other — mainly Western — countries saw Africa as a "failed continent", China filled the void Western investors left.

Other accusations levelled against China fall under the realm of turning a blind eye to human rights abuses to protect economic interests. Critics argue that China uses aid to gain access to natural resources; that Chinese companies prefer to ship Chinese employees to work in Africa rather than hire local workers; that China underpays workers and is recolonising Africa; or that China investments prop up autocratic regimes.

Well, the same critics say nothing of Western governments and companies involved in African countries with questionable human rights records. American and other Western companies abound in Equatorial Guinea and the Delta region of Nigeria, where there are allegations of gross violations of human rights.

---

There is also the notion that Chinese investment is predominantly in natural resources. But Chinese companies are increasing their investments in other sectors, such as food processing, manufacturing, and telecommunications (ZTE Corporation, China’s second-largest telecoms equipment provider, has 40 offices and about 4,000 employees in Africa).

Another fact seldom noted is that not all Chinese activity in Africa is investment. As a member of the World Bank and Africa Development Bank, China is free to compete in bids and has won numerous tenders in competitive bidding in World Bank-funded construction and supply projects. It may be true that 26% of China’s oil requirements are supplied by Africa at the moment (and this is bound to grow in time), but we need to remember that sub-Saharan African oil exports to China amount to only 9% of total sub-Saharan oil exports worldwide. Some 37% of African oil still goes to the US, a fact that is not generally spoken about.

China comes to Africa with no cultural or historic baggage, never having colonised, enslaved or declared war on any African country. It does not subscribe to the West’s view of Africa. Dowden states that, "There’s still a narrative in our minds in the West that Africa is backward and Africans have got to become like us — ‘we have got to change them’ — I think that Africans feel that and the young African generation that’s coming through are now very resentful of that."
    http://www.bdlive.co.za/indepth/Afri...global-economy

Not interested in your colonized perspectives about Africa.

Yet, you keep posting that bullshit to me.

I could have the same conversation about Africa with a klan member as I would have with you.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeh right, I posted a link to an article in the Zambian Economist but apparently you know better even though you've never been there. What is really boils down to is you have this thing about Western imperialism but cannot accept that China is even worse. I quote Michael Sata, the leader of the Patriotic Front in Zambia on the Chinese. That article was published in 2008 and he is now the President.

Now the leader of the Patriotic Front, with a respectable chance of winning a presidential election set for the end of October, Sata says: 'The Chinese are not here as investors, they are here as invaders.

'They bring Chinese to come and push wheelbarrows, they bring Chinese bricklayers, they bring Chinese carpenters, Chinese plumbers. We have plenty of those in Zambia.'

This is true. In Lusaka and in the Copper Belt, poor and lowly Chinese workers, in broad-brimmed straw hats from another era, are a common sight at mines and on building sites, as are better-dressed Chinese supervisors and technicians.

There are Chinese restaurants and Chinese clinics and Chinese housing compounds - and a growing number of Chinese flags flapping over factories and smelters.

'We don't need to import labourers from China,' Sata says. 'We need to import people with skills we don't have in Zambia. The Chinese are not going to train our people in how to push wheelbarrows.'

He meets me in the garden of his not specially grand house in the old-established and verdant Rhodes Park section of Lusaka. It is guarded by uniformed security men, its walls protected by barbed wire and broken glass.

'Wherever our Chinese "brothers" are they don't care about the local workers,' he complains, alleging that Chinese companies have lax safety procedures and treat their African workers like dirt.

In language which seems exaggerated, but which will later turn out to be at least partly true, he claims: 'They employ people in slave conditions.'

He also accuses Chinese overseers of frequently beating up Zambians. His claim is given force by a story in that morning's Lusaka newspapers about how a Zambian building worker in Ndola, in the Copper Belt, was allegedly beaten unconscious by four Chinese co-workers angry that he had gone to sleep on the job.

I later checked this account with the victim's relatives in an Ndola shanty town and found it to be true.