Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ohio 'voter fraud' billboards taken down because sponsor refused to identify self

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Default ohio 'voter fraud' billboards taken down because sponsor refused to identify self

the sponsor turned out to be publicity shy over their 'message'

CLEVELAND (Reuters) - More than 140 billboards in Ohio and Wisconsin warning of the criminal consequences of voter fraud will be taken down starting on Monday after the sponsor chose to remove them rather than reveal its identity, the billboard owner said.
    The billboards, which show a large judge's gavel and read "Voter Fraud is a felony - up to 3 ½ years and a $10,000 fine," went up primarily in low-income minority neighborhoods in early October, just weeks before the November 6 elections, and were immediately criticized by voter rights groups as an attempt to intimidate minority voters.
    The sponsor was not identified on the billboards owned by Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc. The company said this was a violation of its policy against anonymous political ads.
    After discussions, the sponsor, whom Clear Channel Outdoor has called a "private family foundation" but declined to name, "thought the best solution was to take the boards down, so we are in the process of removing them," the company said in a statement.
    Crews on Monday will begin taking down 30 billboards in Cleveland, 30 in Columbus and 85 in Milwaukee, Jim Cullinan, vice president of corporate communications for Clear Channel Outdoor, told Reuters.
    Cleveland City Councilwoman Phyllis Cleveland, one of the most vocal critics of the billboards, told Reuters on Sunday: "Needless to say I'm happy they will be taken down but I want to know who was behind this in the first place."
    In response to the outcry, Clear Channel Outdoor donated 10 billboards around the Cleveland area that read "Voting Is a Right. Not a Crime!"

http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-voter-fra...0--sector.html
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Quixote For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-22-2012), Mott the Hoople (10-22-2012), Phantasmal (10-21-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

i don't understand what the outcry is about? is voter fraud not a felony?

4. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018. 3 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (11-11-2012)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 92 Posts

Well considering these are clear channel billboards I wonder how fast these will come down? I'd be willing to put money on the fact that they will come down much slower than they went up.

However, I'm glad they'll be removed!
    Stupid, paranoid, and armed is a bad combination.

Christianity: Sending telepathic messages to a Jewish ghost letting him know that you will accept him as your master and ask him to remove a magical curse that was passed down to you because an old woman that was made from the rib of her partner ate a piece of magical fruit from a magical tree because a talking snake told her to.

Ask me again why I'm an atheist?

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    Well considering these are clear channel billboards I wonder how fast these will come down? I'd be willing to put money on the fact that they will come down much slower than they went up.

However, I'm glad they'll be removed!
    try reading the article again. you got it wrong.

7. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018. 3 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (11-11-2012)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Yeah....we don't want people to find out voter fraud is a felony.....better to have them think its a joke and just another
    way to win an election.....

What will they think of next.....billboards telling the people smoking causes cancer.....?......
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Yeah....we don't want people to find out voter fraud is a felony.....better to have them think its a joke and just another
    People don't like being in the wrong most of the time. It's why they say things like "Comon man I was only 5 over." when a traffic cop stops them, or "Comon man, who's it hurting?" when busted with marijuana.

It's the strange phenomenon of "Crimes are committed by 'other people' not by me"
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cannabis View Post
    perhaps it was because where the billboards were placed...and not placed

did you read the entire article?
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

yes. so the only issue is where the billboards were allegedly placed?

12. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018. 3 For This Awful Post:

The Dude (11-11-2012)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

Don't the people in the neighborhoods where the billboards are have a right to know that voter fraud is illegal ?.....
    As a matter of fact, doesn't everybody ?.....All should be aware that vf is a felony and not a minor matter....its a public service being presented as
    something sinister.....as is voter ID and catching the clowns working for the RNC that falsified registratioins.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

allegedly?

the article was quite clear as to where the billboards were placed

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

What voter fraud? Show me even one specific instance of voter fraud in Ohio in the last 5 years. The outcry is that this is an attempt at voter intimidation. Ask this, Why didn't they post some of these billboards in Dublin or New Albany or Gate Mills or Brecksville or Chagrin Falls or West Chester, Ohio? These are all predominantly white communities with median household incomes of over $70,000/year. Why were they all posted near predominantly poor African American communities in Ohio?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-22-2012), Crashk (10-22-2012), ZappasGuitar (10-22-2012)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What will they think of next.....billboards telling the people smoking causes cancer.....?......
    The difference is that nearly 500,000 people will die from smoking related illnesses this year alone. In the past 10 years there has been 7 validated cases of voter fraud in the entire US. That's an average of 0.014 cases of voter fraud per State per year. This is a blatant attempt by right wing extremist to intimidate minority voters. It's wrong and Clear Channel did the right thing.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, that's just one. The other issue is that the people who placed the billboard ads refused to identify themselves. Pretty god damned cowardly. If they stand behind their racist convictions why won't they identify themselves?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don't the people in the neighborhoods where the billboards are have a right to know that voter fraud is illegal ?.....
    As a matter of fact, doesn't everybody ?.....All should be aware that vf is a felony and not a minor matter....its a public service being presented as
    something sinister.....as is voter ID and catching the clowns working for the RNC that falsified registratioins.....
    Really? Then why didn't they post these billboard ads in any of the communities I mentioned? Shouldn't the people in these communities be made aware that voter fraud is illegal? Also, how affective do you think this will be at preventing the 0.01 cases of voter fraud in Ohio each year?

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 75 Times in 61 Posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hazlnut For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-22-2012)