Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democrats Said to End Convention $15 Million Short

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Default Democrats Said to End Convention $15 Million Short

Democrats ended their convention in Charlotte $5 million short of their budget even after being forced to draw down a $10 million line of credit from Duke Energy Corp. (DUK), according to a Democratic Party fundraiser.

That will leave a $15 million bill that eventually will have to be paid by President Barack Obama’s campaign or the Democratic National Committee, according to the fundraiser, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

The Charlotte Host Committee ended the convention with more than $5 million in immediate obligations and may require a direct cash infusion from the Obama campaign to pay vendors, said the fundraiser.

The $10 million line of credit to Duke Energy will need to be repaid next year, said a second person familiar with the matter, who also spoke on condition of anonymity. Duke Energy Chairman and Chief Executive OfficerJim Rogersis co-chairman of the host committee.
    Those debts could siphon off advertising money in the campaign’s final months, as Democrats face a cash disadvantage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ion-short.html

What a surprise, these people can’t run a simple convention without going millions over budget. Why would you expect anything else from the party of ‘always spend more than you have’? I feel sorry for the vendors, Democrats and the Obama campaign have a long history of stiffing their vendors.

Think of the irony of the Democrats having to beg for funds from an evil utility company. A company that makes its money burning coal.
    Also, how many Duke Energy customers are now going to have to pay even higher utility bills thanks to the Democrats?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Hilarious.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

It feels so awkward not to be able to disagree with Razor on anything.

If this was a person I'd say an intervention was needed, this idea of spend more than you have, routinely, is just stupid. Since there's no intervention for an entire half of the country... We may have a problem.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

the part that puzzles me the most is the claim that they had a budget.....I thought Dems didn't do budgets.....

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the intent of conventions is to put their candidates in a better position to win the election .. I'd say the democrats accomplished that goal better than republicans.

Obama maintains post-convention lead over Romney: Reuters/Ipsos poll
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-maintain...054658920.html

Obama Soars To A Huge 6 Point Lead Over Romney In A New CNN Poll
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cnn-p...#ixzz26APBoHJA

Perhaps you righties should spend more time trying to promote your candidate than worrying about how democrats spend their money. :0)

... just sayin'

Budgets?????

When was the last time a republican president created a balanced budget with a surplus?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Can't they just borrow it from the chicoms?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    If the intent of conventions is to put their candidates in a better position to win the election .. I'd say the democrats accomplished that goal better than republicans.

Obama maintains post-convention lead over Romney: Reuters/Ipsos poll
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-maintain...054658920.html

Obama Soars To A Huge 6 Point Lead Over Romney In A New CNN Poll
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cnn-p...#ixzz26APBoHJA

Perhaps you righties should spend more time trying to promote your candidate than worrying about how democrats spend their money. :0)

... just sayin'

Budgets?????

When was the last time a republican president created a balanced budget with a surplus?
    I'm worried about how dems spend their money because there's about a 50% chance its my money they could end up spending. staying within budget isn't an optional extra. Or at least it isn't supposed to be.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    I'm worried about how dems spend their money because there's about a 50% chance its my money they could end up spending. staying within budget isn't an optional extra. Or at least it isn't supposed to be.
    Isn't convention money their money?

I worry less about how they spend convention money that how they fail to govern. The military budget should be sliced in half .. NOBODY should be getting a tax cut .. but they don't have that courage.

As far as the convention .. I bet they spent that extra 15 mil on security and turning Charlotte into a locked-down city.

Charlotte Was Transformed into a Total Securitized Metropolis for DNC
    http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/201...polis-for-dnc/
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-11-2012)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,882 Times in 21,651 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Voters dont seem to understand how large enterprises work, borrowing money is part of doing business.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Isn't convention money their money?

I worry less about how they spend convention money that how they fail to govern. The military budget should be sliced in half .. NOBODY should be getting a tax cut .. but they don't have that courage.

As far as the convention .. I bet they spent that extra 15 mil on security and turning Charlotte into a locked-down city.

Charlotte Was Transformed into a Total Securitized Metropolis for DNC
    http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/201...polis-for-dnc/
    Read what I'm saying not what you're hearing. I'm worried about how they spend money(any money) because the money they could end up spending could be mine. The democrats(and to some extent republicans) seem to have moved into the land where money doesn't mean anything and they can spend as much as they like. I'm just worried about when the rude awakening occurs.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Read what I'm saying not what you're hearing. I'm worried about how they spend money(any money) because the money they could end up spending could be mine. The democrats(and to some extent republicans) seem to have moved into the land where money doesn't mean anything and they can spend as much as they like. I'm just worried about when the rude awakening occurs.
    I heard you clearly brother. I've said that I worry about how they spend money governing.

Convention money is their money, and they get to spend their money anyway they choose. The problem there is who they get their money from.

Sounds like you should be supporting serious campaign finance reform as I do.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

as I recall no one has done that since WW2......

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I heard you clearly brother. I've said that I worry about how they spend money governing.

Convention money is their money, and they get to spend their money anyway they choose. The problem there is who they get their money from.

Sounds like you should be supporting serious campaign finance reform as I do.
    Personally I'm not worried about who their money is coming from so much as I am the general american attitude that seems to be creeping up of, "get it now, pay later/never" it's as much immoral as it is dumb. You see it most heavily in government and that's where the big problem is going to hit, but normal people do it to, works fine until their salary gets cut or they get unexpected leave, then everything they have gets repossessed and their life falls to pieces and they blame the bank. My position has been for a long time, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, pay what you owe and don't spend outside your means.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Personally I'm not worried about who their money is coming from so much as I am the general american attitude that seems to be creeping up of, "get it now, pay later/never" it's as much immoral as it is dumb. You see it most heavily in government and that's where the big problem is going to hit, but normal people do it to, works fine until their salary gets cut or they get unexpected leave, then everything they have gets repossessed and their life falls to pieces and they blame the bank. My position has been for a long time, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, pay what you owe and don't spend outside your means.
    We live in the land of Oz brother.

Money is more important than life in the land of Oz .. and what may be affordable today, may not be by tomorrow.

What others do with their money is not my concern .. only what they do with the people's money.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-11-2012)

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We live in the land of Oz brother.

Money is more important than life in the land of Oz .. and what may be affordable today, may not be by tomorrow.

What others do with their money is not my concern .. only what they do with the people's money.
    It's the crazy floating system of economics that crashed us the first time around. We're so concerned with "getting out of the recession" we don't have time(or the inclination) for preventing another one.

Ah well, don't see the change as likely, but it'd be a novel experience.