The grandmother of a 2-year-old severely burned in a fireworks explosion at a Pelham home that injured nine people in total yesterday said her daughter was blown from the porch but went back into the “war zone” find her baby boy and pull him to safety.
“A firework went off, and then it was like a war zone,” Kathy Pappathan said of the horrific fire, which officials said sent seven people two the hospital, including two children who had to be airlifted to Boston.
One of them, Pappathan’s 2-year-old grandson, suffered second- and third-degree burns throughout his body and is currently at Shriners Hospital for Children, she said.
“They put him under,” she said. “They’re going to wake him up Friday ... but he’ll be there for 30, 40 days. As long as infection doesn’t set in, he’s going to pull through."
Authorities yesterday didn’t provide the names or conditions of the others injured when “a large number of fireworks” blew up inside the Dodge Road home, causing a fire, police said.
Pappathan said she believed the explosion started on a deck connected to the house.
“My daughter was blown off the deck,” she said.
“Then she went back into the fire and my grandson was standing in the middle of the fire screaming, and she ran in got him and pulled him out. I guess he got it the worst.”