Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profiling at Airports

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Profiling at Airports

Yes/No?
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

yes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I agree
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    Yes/No?

what kind of profiling are you talking about?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

I assume he means racial... i.e. profiling muslims.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    I assume he means racial... i.e. profiling muslims.
    Well, that would be religious profiling, not racial. Muslims come in every color of the rainbow.

Ethnic or religious profiling is stupid.

Its a waste of law enforcements time to strip search a 90-year old muslim grandma who's in a wheelchair.

Criminal profiling is better. You can use country-of-origin or ethnicity as one tool in criminal profiling. But, the profile has to be a composite - not limited to one relgious or ethnic criteria.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well ..if you look at the topic of the week. I guess I am talking about profiling for potential terrorism. I believe having a 70 year old blue haired wasp step out of line, take her shoes off and strip down is a bit off kilter. So...yes ... I would say we definitly need to profile for who might be a suspected terrorist, and Arabs and Muslims are the unfortunate group that would suffer ...
    Last edited by klaatu; 08-15-2006 at 04:34 PM.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well ..if you look at the topic of the week. I guess I am talking about profiling for potential terrorism. I believe having a 70 year old blue haired white wasp step out of line, take her shoes off and strip down is a bit off kilter. So...yes ... I would say we definitly need to profile for who might be a suspected terrorist, and Arabs and Muslims are the unfortunate group that would suffer ...
    No, it would be a waste of time to strip search all muslims.

If you want to be smart and effiecient about it, you do criminal profiling. Its a complete waste of time to search muslims who don't fit the profile: the elderly, children, mentally-handicapped, quadrepelgic muslims, etc.

A criminal profile for a terrorist would be country of origin, age, immigration status, passport status, flight status, etc.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

If you want to be smart and effiecient about it, you do criminal profiling. Its a complete waste of time to search muslims who don't fit the profile: the elderly, children, mentally-handicapped, quadrepelgic muslims, etc.

A criminal profile for a terrorist would be country of origin, age, immigration status, passport status, flight status, etc.
    I dont think I said target every arab or Muslim who walks through the terminal ... but Arabs and Muslims will be the likely groups that will be subjected to your criminal profile approach.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I dont think I said target every arab or Muslim who walks through the terminal ... but Arabs and Muslims will be the likely groups that will be subjected to your criminal profile approach.
    then what you're talking about is closer to criminal profiling, than true "religious" profiling, as grind suggested.

There's no point having a strictly "religious" test for screening possible terrorists.

Using age, gender, country of origin, and immigration status is a perfectly acceptable way of catching a terrorist. A 25-years old dude from pakistan who has a green card and is carrying a one-way flight ticket, fits the criminal profile perfectly.

A 70 year old Brazilian man who coverted to islam when he was 60, does not fit the criminal profile.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

then what you're talking about is closer to criminal profiling, than true "religious" profiling, as grind suggested.

There's no point having a strictly "religious" test for screening possible terrorists.

Using age, gender, country of origin, and immigration status is a perfectly acceptable way of catching a terrorist. A 25-years old dude from pakistan who has a green card and is carrying a one-way flight ticket, fits the criminal profile perfectly.

A 70 year old Brazilian man who coverted to islam when he was 60, does not fit the criminal profile.
    Damn Cypress.. we are beginning to agree on quite a bit these days ... either Im getting too soft or you're moving center .. which is it?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Damn Cypress.. we are beginning to agree on quite a bit these days ... either Im getting too soft or you're moving center .. which is it?
    that's why I asked what kind of profiling. Criminal profiling is a time-tested and acceptable law enforcement technique.

Criminal profiling is literally the only efficient way to screen criminals. Profiling simply based on skin color, ethnicity, or religion is a complete waste of law enforcements time.

If racial profiling in and of itself, really worked, cops would be stopping and searching every white male within half a mile of a school....since white males overwhelmingly make up this nation's pedophile population.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hmmm, I'll give ya the retards and the quads but it has been show many times before that children are suitable suicidle bombers, and yeah I can see where they become less radical as they get older.....

I found asshat central right here on this board! I gotta guess that the half of ya here are DU flunkies?........whata bunch of shitbricks...

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Evil View Post
    Hmmm, I'll give ya the retards and the quads but it has been show many times before that children are suitable suicidle bombers, and yeah I can see where they become less radical as they get older.....

I found asshat central right here on this board! I gotta guess that the half of ya here are DU flunkies?........whata bunch of shitbricks...
    Look, if you want to get strip-searched all you have to do is go up to one of the airport security guys and ask him why he's a big fat asshole. You'll get your jollies and no one else will be bothered.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Look, if you want to get strip-searched all you have to do is go up to one of the airport security guys and ask him why he's a big fat asshole. You'll get your jollies and no one else will be bothered.
    Ornery, what is your deal with always approaching the sexual subject? you lack it in a big way eh?