Thread: Another Historic Milesont! Majority of Jobless are College Educated...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Another Historic Milesont! Majority of Jobless are College Educated...

http://www.allgov.com/Where_is_the_M...o_Didnt_120524

For the First Time, Number of Unemployed Who Attended College Outnumber Those Who Didn’t

Thursday, May 24, 2012
    Parents may have a tougher time winning the argument with their children about the importance of attending college if their offspring hear the latest news from the U.S. Department of Labor.

As of April, the number of unemployed people (age 25 and older) who went to college was greater than the total of jobless workers with only a high school education. This is the first time in U.S. history that college-educated individuals have outnumbered those who never continued their formal education after high school.

In terms of total numbers, 4.7 million unemployed had gone to college or graduated while 4.3 million had skipped higher education altogether.

Jed Graham at Investor’s Business Daily noted that a greater share of the U.S. population today has attended college compared to 20 years ago during the recession of the early 1990s. This in part explains why, among the jobless, the college-educated are outnumbering others who stopped at high school.

As of last year, 57% of those 25 and up had attended some college. In 1992, the rate was only 43%. Meanwhile, “those without a high school diploma fell from 21% to 12% over that span,” wrote Graham.

More at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

This is such a big truth in this jobless crunch. Kids are taught, as I was, to go to college then go get that career. This is a great line of thinking but is not for every kid either. Here, kids can get jobs right out of high school making in the 28K - 40K range, depending on their level of training and entry. I am thinking specifically of welders who were trained in the high school where I teach or have taken advantage of the Vo-Tech courses concurrently. This year alone we have had 5 certified welders and one was going to get his underwater welding license last week. These 18-19 year olds have jobs waiting for them. I'm not going to try to convince them to go to college first. Also, there is a need for county and state construction crews which doesn't require a college degree.

While all of this is going on, I have three acquaintances who have degrees but don't have jobs...and have been that way for over two years. If I were in their situation I'd go to work at Walmart or something but they have the idea that because they have a degree that Walmart or county work is beneath them....and don't even mention re-training for something different. We got our kid The Game of Life for his birthday yesterday and playing it with him I noticed there is a path for a career change after a job loss. I used that as a teaching situation with my 9 year old.