Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: catholic school refuses to play baseball against a team with a girl on it

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Default catholic school refuses to play baseball against a team with a girl on it

once more gender discrimination rears its ugly head, this time in high school sports

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-school...1880--mlb.html
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,739 Times in 14,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

"It wasn't that they were afraid they were going to hurt or injure her, it's that (they believe) that a girl's place is not on a field."
    If this is the case, then the kids on that team deserve to lose the shot at the championship. Granted, the quote was from the mother of the girl in question, so I'm not sure if it's the position that LOSA takes. Perhaps the parents will evaluate this mindset, and decide if this is a place where their children should go to school in the future.

Especially the parents of girls.

Personally, I think the girl is indeed in risk of getting hurt if she's playing second base. Likewise, in a close play at the plate, or on one of the bases when she's hitting.

Still, I wouldn't boycott the game. I'd simply advise the opposing team that there is a real possibility that the girl can be injured, and that we aren't going to back off on the close plays.

Then, it would be up to the girl to play, or sit out.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    If this is the case, then the kids on that team deserve to lose the shot at the championship. Granted, the quote was from the mother of the girl in question, so I'm not sure if it's the position that LOSA takes. Perhaps the parents will evaluate this mindset, and decide if this is a place where their children should go to school in the future.

Personally, I think the girl is indeed in risk of getting hurt if she's playing second base. Likewise, in a close play at the plate, or on one of the bases when she's hitting.

Still, I wouldn't boycott the game. I'd simply advise the opposing team that there is a real possibility that the girl can be injured, and that we aren't going to back off on the close plays.

Perhaps girls should play on girls teams just as girls must the girls restroom and showers
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Perhaps girls should play on girls teams just as girls must the girls restroom and showers
    This is a decades old debate. Perhaps the private schools don't have the funding for a girl's softball team? There was a lot of discussion about what is, and what isn't a contact sport. I believe baseball was considered 'not'.

I disagree, especially if the girl will be playing a high traffic position. I remember a fairly recent case where a boy wanted to play on a girl's team in school. I don't believe he actually WANTED to play, rather, make a statement. I think the court ruled in his favor.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,770 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a decades old debate. Perhaps the private schools don't have the funding for a girl's softball team? There was a lot of discussion about what is, and what isn't a contact sport. I believe baseball was considered 'not'.

I disagree, especially if the girl will be playing a high traffic position. I remember a fairly recent case where a boy wanted to play on a girl's team in school. I don't believe he actually WANTED to play, rather, make a statement. I think the court ruled in his favor.
    Good, I think if the Girl is physically capable of making the team, she should be allowed to play, vice versa.

Boys generally would think it beneath them to play on a girl's team from the insults given to other male players during practice and games.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-13-2012)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Good, I think if the Girl is physically capable of making the team, she should be allowed to play, vice versa.

Boys generally would think it beneath them to play on a girl's team from the insults given to other male players during practice and games.
    Yes...this boy came under a lot of scrutiny, but I believe he was more about making a statement.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a girl playing on a boy's team. I wouldn't want my daughter doing it, especially in highschool.

That said, if she wants to play, she should know that she might get hurt. I'm sure she wouldn't want the boys to take it easy just because she's a girl.

2nd base is pretty high traffic, and it's quite common for a runner to purposely take out the 2nd baseman in order to break up a double play. We had girls mixed with boys in the lower levels of little league, but hs is a different animal.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,770 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes...this boy came under a lot of scrutiny, but I believe he was more about making a statement.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a girl playing on a boy's team. I wouldn't want my daughter doing it, especially in highschool.

That said, if she wants to play, she should know that she might get hurt. I'm sure she wouldn't want the boys to take it easy just because she's a girl.

2nd base is pretty high traffic, and it's quite common for a runner to purposely take out the 2nd baseman in order to break up a double play. We had girls mixed with boys in the lower levels of little league, but hs is a different animal.
    It is why she would have to pass the same physical fitness test. We have Somoan girls who playball here and they are as big or bigger than some of the high school male ballers.

I use to play co-ed soccur and softball, male and female got hurt.

One of my daughters played co-ed ball, the other didn't, different physical builds.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post

Even she wasn't physically capable of making the team, she and her supporters would be crying discrimination and gender bias as they always do....

Like women firefighters and such, that can't possibly pass the same physical tests as the men so they alter the qualifications to to accommodate their lessor

strength or stamina....it just good old fashion affirmative action.....

Can't cut the mustard ?....then we'll just skip/alter the requirements for these "special" people......
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

They forfeited because a 15 year old girl was playing 2nd base!!!!

lolol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably afraid she was actually really good.
    I think it's up to her and her parents to decide if it's "safe"

Give me a break. It's not like she's trying to play in the MLB.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Liberal bullshit, destroying what made this country as great as it used to be.....

This is what happens in real life....
    http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=51112

And here is how the little sweeties feel when the shoe in on the other foot

At the Division I state championships on Saturday at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, there are eight boys in the 28-swimmer field in the 50 freestyle. Although Norwood’s Higgins was ruled academically ineligible Friday and will not compete at the state meet, two of the top four seeds in the 50 freestyle are boys, giving rise to the possibility that a boy could be the girls state champion.

Sarah Hooper, a senior at Needham High who is the fourth-fastest female entrant, finds the situation difficult to swallow.

“It’s really frustrating to see how athletic directors and school administrators aren’t doing anything,” she said. “They really aren’t advocating for us. I understand there isn’t an opportunity for these boys, but it infuriates me that they can’t combine two schools’ boys to create one team or have them compete in separate heats. The way it is now, the boys are taking recognition away from girls who have worked hard and deserve it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sp...pagewanted=all

12. The Following User Groans At NOVA For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (05-12-2012)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Liberal bullshit, destroying what made this country as great as it used to be.....This is what happens in real life....
    http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=51112

And here is how the little sweeties feel when the shoe in on the other foot

At the Division I state championships on Saturday at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, there are eight boys in the 28-swimmer field in the 50 freestyle. Although Norwood’s Higgins was ruled academically ineligible Friday and will not compete at the state meet, two of the top four seeds in the 50 freestyle are boys, giving rise to the possibility that a boy could be the girls state champion.

Sarah Hooper, a senior at Needham High who is the fourth-fastest female entrant, finds the situation difficult to swallow.

“It’s really frustrating to see how athletic directors and school administrators aren’t doing anything,” she said. “They really aren’t advocating for us. I understand there isn’t an opportunity for these boys, but it infuriates me that they can’t combine two schools’ boys to create one team or have them compete in separate heats. The way it is now, the boys are taking recognition away from girls who have worked hard and deserve it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sp...pagewanted=all

a 15 year old girl is going to destroy "What America USE to be?"
    Shit, she must be really good.

What did America "use to be"?

Don't really care about the swimming situation, it seems the boys don't have a place to compete...so that's life, the girls are going to have to deal with it.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Since most girls play Softball and we all know that no one can get hurt playing softball.
    They just didn't want to get beat by a girl.
    And what exactly do you mean by "backing off on the close plays"?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

You better take another look at the AIA rules for your area; because there are specific rules covering exactly what your talking about, regarding double plays.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    You better take another look at the AIA rules for your area; because there are specific rules covering exactly what your talking about, regarding double plays.
    I was going to point that out.
    it's not like you go in a high-karate-kid-kick a fielder.

Not that I don't respect his POV, I understand.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can't edit? oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!