Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 226

Thread: Proof That God Exists

  1. #16 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26,922
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 3,626 Posts
    Groans
    904
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,393 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    How much does a ham sandwhich weigh? blah, blah, blah.
    ???....you don't think you can weigh a ham sandwich?......

  2. #17 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,049
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    818
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    Well if you have "Proof" of God of what use is faith?
    You need faith even in the presence of proof, do you not? Honestly, think about that for a moment. Is there anything you can "prove" that doesn't require your faith and belief? In fact, one could argue from a philosophical point, it is impossible to have faith and belief without "proof." There has to be something which makes you believe and have faith, in the first place. Now we can argue over what is legitimate "proof" and what is perception of "proof" to an individual, and we get right back to the fundamentals of the OP, it all boils down to what you have faith in. If you have no faith in spirituality, you could hardly have faith in God, therefore, you are not going to believe in God and you will reject any "proof" presented by others, because you lack this faith. It doesn't mean "proof" doesn't exist, it simply means you reject the "proof" and call it bullshit.

    I'll remind you once again, the point of the OP was not to answer the question, it was to examine the context and understand the question from a more appropriate context. I readily admit the question isn't answered, it can't be answered, that is why it continues to be argued. My only goal was to have people think about the context of the question, and examine it's legitimacy in a fair way. Some have been able to do that, others like you and Grind, want to run straight back to the safety of the argument in your old familiar context, an argument you believe you can win, because you are too afraid to explore other possibilities.

    You can't demand physical proof of a supernatural thing, it's as silly and pointless as demanding science be explained by spirituality. The spiritual and physical worlds are two entirely different things, so why would parameters of one fit the other? Why would requiring physical proof for a supernatural entity, be any less ridiculous than requiring supernatural proof of the physical? In my opinion, one is as bad as the other. We must put things in their proper context before we answer the question.

  3. #18 | Top
    Myxomatosis's Avatar
    Myxomatosis is offline You should put me in a home or you should put me down JPP Contributor
    JPP Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    internet
    Posts
    26,178
    Thanks
    3,905
    Thanked 11,132 Times in 6,547 Posts
    Groans
    836
    Groaned 952 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    [for the record, it's pointless for me to bother arguing about something with dixie. I realized I was wasting my time. No offense dixie, but we just aren't going to sync up on this]
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

    - C.S. Lewis
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Menchken

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Myxomatosis For This Post:

    Benjamin Netanyahu (05-21-2012)

  5. #19 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,049
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    818
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofOwls View Post
    [for the record, it's pointless for me to bother arguing about something with dixie. I realized I was wasting my time. No offense dixie, but we just aren't going to sync up on this]
    You're correct. My position is, the question can't be answered without proper understanding of context, which you refuse to allow, and any answer requires individual faith. Your position is, the question has already been answered by science and god doesn't exist, and there is no need for you to enlighten yourself further. So yes, it's a complete and total waste of your time, you are dismissed!

  6. #20 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    27,692
    Thanks
    5,306
    Thanked 5,773 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    2,386
    Groaned 1,400 Times in 1,289 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ???....you don't think you can weigh a ham sandwich?......
    How much does umami weigh?
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going, and hook up with them later.


  7. #21 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26,922
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 3,626 Posts
    Groans
    904
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,393 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    How much does umami weigh?
    is your question savory?.....(okay, I have to admit I had to look it up).......

  8. #22 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    877
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    How much does a ham sandwhich weigh? blah, blah, blah.
    Not sure but I heard they can be indicted by a Grand Jury.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to apple0154 For This Post:

    Mott the Hoople (05-15-2012)

  10. #23 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    877
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ???....you don't think you can weigh a ham sandwich?......
    One could weigh the evidence against a ham sandwich.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to apple0154 For This Post:

    Mott the Hoople (05-15-2012)

  12. #24 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 182 Times in 123 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    ...So, God doesn't exist in a physical sense, and it's pointless to try and prove existence with physical parameters. In order to properly examine the question, we need to evaluate 'exist' as meaning, in a spiritual sense, because that is what God is, a spiritual entity. Now, whether something 'exists' in a spiritual sense, is very difficult, in fact, impossible to prove or disprove.
    You could have stopped there. If something is impossible to prove.... and science is changing the ideas of time and space, but so what - I'm wondering what we will do for a hundred trillions years times .... curious that we have to have immortality or some do.
    Writings for those who can still puzzle over why things are as they are - an advertence in all the many words.

    History http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...79#post1293479
    Education http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...r-A-Republican

  13. #25 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26,922
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 3,626 Posts
    Groans
    904
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,393 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    You could have stopped there. If something is impossible to prove.... and science is changing the ideas of time and space, but so what - I'm wondering what we will do for a hundred trillions years times .... curious that we have to have immortality or some do.
    interesting......this coming from a guy with a head start on oblivion.....

  14. #26 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,716
    Thanks
    7,429
    Thanked 9,553 Times in 6,614 Posts
    Groans
    215
    Groaned 912 Times in 853 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ???....you don't think you can weigh a ham sandwich?......
    No, I mean I could care less what a ham sandwhich weighs and that's about what all this philosophizing adds up to.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

    Sardonic (05-15-2012)

  16. #27 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,716
    Thanks
    7,429
    Thanked 9,553 Times in 6,614 Posts
    Groans
    215
    Groaned 912 Times in 853 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    You need faith even in the presence of proof, do you not? Honestly, think about that for a moment. Is there anything you can "prove" that doesn't require your faith and belief? In fact, one could argue from a philosophical point, it is impossible to have faith and belief without "proof." There has to be something which makes you believe and have faith, in the first place. Now we can argue over what is legitimate "proof" and what is perception of "proof" to an individual, and we get right back to the fundamentals of the OP, it all boils down to what you have faith in. If you have no faith in spirituality, you could hardly have faith in God, therefore, you are not going to believe in God and you will reject any "proof" presented by others, because you lack this faith. It doesn't mean "proof" doesn't exist, it simply means you reject the "proof" and call it bullshit.

    I'll remind you once again, the point of the OP was not to answer the question, it was to examine the context and understand the question from a more appropriate context. I readily admit the question isn't answered, it can't be answered, that is why it continues to be argued. My only goal was to have people think about the context of the question, and examine it's legitimacy in a fair way. Some have been able to do that, others like you and Grind, want to run straight back to the safety of the argument in your old familiar context, an argument you believe you can win, because you are too afraid to explore other possibilities.

    You can't demand physical proof of a supernatural thing, it's as silly and pointless as demanding science be explained by spirituality. The spiritual and physical worlds are two entirely different things, so why would parameters of one fit the other? Why would requiring physical proof for a supernatural entity, be any less ridiculous than requiring supernatural proof of the physical? In my opinion, one is as bad as the other. We must put things in their proper context before we answer the question.
    No, to the contrary. Faith requires proof about as much as reason requires feelings.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

  17. #28 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,716
    Thanks
    7,429
    Thanked 9,553 Times in 6,614 Posts
    Groans
    215
    Groaned 912 Times in 853 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Not sure but I heard they can be indicted by a Grand Jury.
    Aint that the damned truth!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

  18. #29 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,049
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    818
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    No, to the contrary. Faith requires proof about as much as reason requires feelings.
    From a philosophical standpoint (what I qualified my statement with) one could also argue "reason" requires "feelings." Next?

  19. #30 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,716
    Thanks
    7,429
    Thanked 9,553 Times in 6,614 Posts
    Groans
    215
    Groaned 912 Times in 853 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    From a philosophical standpoint (what I qualified my statement with) one could also argue "reason" requires "feelings." Next?
    and from a philisophical stand point you could say the same thing about a ham sandwhich.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

Similar Threads

  1. Has more gold been sold than exists?
    By uscitizen in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
  2. My house still exists
    By Benjamin Netanyahu in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
  3. Prove God Exists and Win $10,000.00!
    By Canceled in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
  4. This site exists because of ME
    By Brent in forum Introductions, User Announcements, Suggestions and General Board Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 02:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •