1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Obama to kill small business tax loophole to help students

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...0,817420.story

Wow... ya know Obama... you could really help students out by addressing the insane rate at which college tuition has gone up over the past couple of decades. (Note: to all you Obama apologists, I am in no way suggesting Obama is the cause of the rise)

Please explain to me how the costs of education have increased 10 fold over the past 20 years...

http://graphs.posterous.com/cost-of-...tion-over-time
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...0,817420.story

Wow... ya know Obama... you could really help students out by addressing the insane rate at which college tuition has gone up over the past couple of decades. (Note: to all you Obama apologists, I am in no way suggesting Obama is the cause of the rise)

Please explain to me how the costs of education have increased 10 fold over the past 20 years...

http://graphs.posterous.com/cost-of-...tion-over-time
    Well one reason for the increase is that student loans cannot be claimed in bankruptcy (Bush). Another reason is people graduate with a degree and subsequent expectations of a job, yet the job field for their degree is generally useless, so they default on loans, raising the cost on everyone else.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

gui1tars (04-24-2012), Rune (04-24-2012)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
    Well one reason for the increase is that student loans cannot be claimed in bankruptcy (Bush). Another reason is people graduate with a degree and subsequent expectations of a job, yet the job field for their degree is generally useless, so they default on loans, raising the cost on everyone else.
    Someone didn't listen to Obama's speech today. He did address high tuition and the steps the Federal government is taking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

gui1tars (04-24-2012)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

:lol:

I could not understand why Obama was asking the audience for a Imam??? And I could have sworn somebody yelled out "Allahu Akbar".

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

What about George Bush?

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Someone didn't listen to Obama's speech today. He did address high tuition and the steps the Federal government is taking.
    yes, he wants to eliminate S Corps tax loophole to pay for lower interest rates on student loans. His solution does not address the rising costs. His solution does however put a potential dampener on some small business hiring.

It is just like healthcare, he needs to focus on what is causing the costs to escalate so fast. That is what needs to be addressed.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    What about George Bush?
    You want Obama to bring in George Bush for guidance?
    Quote from Cypress:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.2 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (04-24-2012)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

yes, he wants to eliminate S Corps tax loophole to pay for lower interest rates on student loans. His solution does not address the rising costs. His solution does however put a potential dampener on some small business hiring.

It is just like healthcare, he needs to focus on what is causing the costs to escalate so fast. That is what needs to be addressed.

What's causing the costs to escalate so fast and what can he do about it?

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Buck Turgidson View Post
    What's causing the costs to escalate so fast and what can he do about it?
    He is not addressing the costs. Until he finds out why the costs are escalating at the pace they are he cannot address them.

you seem to think that we should have every solution laid out for Obama in order to suggest that he actually fix a problem. If we have to come up with every solution before suggesting our leaders, I don't know, actually LEAD, then what the fuck is the point of having them in office?
    Quote from Cypress:

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He is not addressing the costs. Until he finds out why the costs are escalating at the pace they are he cannot address them.

you seem to think that we should have every solution laid out for Obama in order to suggest that he actually fix a problem. If we have to come up with every solution before suggesting our leaders, I don't know, actually LEAD, then what the fuck is the point of having them in office?
    I'm just suggesting that while finding out the causes of the increased costs and what can be done about them, it makes sense to keep the interest rates where they are and if the Republicans insist on pay-fors, closing the shareholder distribution loophole makes sense. It ought to be done anyway.

I was also wondering what your thoughts were on the issue, but apparently that's a bit too much to ask.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonestorm For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-24-2012)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Bush aside, this is a tough issue. From everything I have read on it, there isn't a lot of frivolity in the cost hikes. Consumers are just demanding & getting more services for students, and better administration & faculty. Do we want universities to be stingy about those things? There are still relatively cheap schools that students can choose, but there tends to be a correlation in the quality & number of services offered when you go w/ the cheaper schools.

I liked Obama's campaign promise of $4K for any student who wanted to give back 100 hours of community service, but I don't think it was ever followed through, and $4K is actually pretty paltry these days. No one really has any good ideas for making the good schools affordable for everyone...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-24-2012)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Bush aside, this is a tough issue. From everything I have read on it, there isn't a lot of frivolity in the cost hikes. Consumers are just demanding & getting more services for students, and better administration & faculty. Do we want universities to be stingy about those things? There are still relatively cheap schools that students can choose, but there tends to be a correlation in the quality & number of services offered when you go w/ the cheaper schools.

I liked Obama's campaign promise of $4K for any student who wanted to give back 100 hours of community service, but I don't think it was ever followed through, and $4K is actually pretty paltry these days. No one really has any good ideas for making the good schools affordable for everyone...
    Can you enlighten me as to what it is that consumers are demanding and getting in terms of more services and better admin/faculty? How are professors and admin better than they were ten or twenty years ago? What additional services are students demanding and receiving?
    Quote from Cypress:

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote from Cypress:

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Shouldn't be surprising with state budgets being tight. Funding for schools gets squeezed like everything else when budgets have to be balanced.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Can you enlighten me as to what it is that consumers are demanding and getting in terms of more services and better admin/faculty? How are professors and admin better than they were ten or twenty years ago? What additional services are students demanding and receiving?

Seriously? You should take a look at the facilities at some schools and the amenities offered. It's insane.