Thread: Dems Make Plans to Force a Vote if Arizona's Immigration Law is upheld...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Dems Make Plans to Force a Vote if Arizona's Immigration Law is upheld...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...rc=al_politics

Democrats plan to force vote on Arizona immigration law if it’s upheld by court

By Rosalind S. Helderman, Monday, April 23, 6:01 PM

Senate Democrats are making plans to force a floor vote on legislation that would invalidate Arizona’s controversial immigration statute if the Supreme Court upholds the law this summer.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) will announce the fallback legislation at a hearing on the Arizona law Tuesday, a day before the Supreme Court hears oral arguments in a suit to determine whether Arizona had the authority to enact the 2010 state crackdown.

The legislation would have little chance of passing in a stalemated Senate or being approved by a GOP-held House, but it would allow Democrats to push their electoral advantage with Latino voters just as the presidential campaign heats up in July.

The plan is to allow Democrats a route to express displeasure with the Arizona law if the court allows it to stand, and it would force Republicans to take a clear position on the law during the height of the presidential campaign. The immigration law is deeply unpopular with Latino voters, who could be key to the outcome of the presidential and Senate races in several Western states.

“If the court upholds the Arizona law, Congress can make it clear that what Arizona is doing goes beyond what the federal government and what Congress ever intended,” Schumer said in an interview.

More at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...rc=al_politics

Democrats plan to force vote on Arizona immigration law if it’s upheld by court

By Rosalind S. Helderman, Monday, April 23, 6:01 PM

Senate Democrats are making plans to force a floor vote on legislation that would invalidate Arizona’s controversial immigration statute if the Supreme Court upholds the law this summer.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) will announce the fallback legislation at a hearing on the Arizona law Tuesday, a day before the Supreme Court hears oral arguments in a suit to determine whether Arizona had the authority to enact the 2010 state crackdown.

The legislation would have little chance of passing in a stalemated Senate or being approved by a GOP-held House, but it would allow Democrats to push their electoral advantage with Latino voters just as the presidential campaign heats up in July.

The plan is to allow Democrats a route to express displeasure with the Arizona law if the court allows it to stand, and it would force Republicans to take a clear position on the law during the height of the presidential campaign. The immigration law is deeply unpopular with Latino voters, who could be key to the outcome of the presidential and Senate races in several Western states.

“If the court upholds the Arizona law, Congress can make it clear that what Arizona is doing goes beyond what the federal government and what Congress ever intended,” Schumer said in an interview.

More at link...
    I wouldn't place all Latino's in the basket of this law being unpopular.
    There are a lot of Hispanics who legally immigrated here or were born to legal immigrants, who support SB1070.
    They just don't march in the streets; because they find earning a living is more important then creating a disturbance.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I wouldn't place all Latino's in the basket of this law being unpopular.
    There are a lot of Hispanics who legally immigrated here or were born to legal immigrants, who support SB1070.
    They just don't march in the streets; because they find earning a living is more important then creating a disturbance.
    link, or is this opinion

how do you account for polls that indicate a serious disenchantment of latinos with the gop
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

4. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    link, or is this opinion how do you account for polls that indicate a serious disenchantment of latinos with the gop
    USFreeDumb doesn't do "evidence".

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm curious....didn't they have a chance to vote on it once already?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    link, or is this opinion

how do you account for polls that indicate a serious disenchantment of latinos with the gop
    I'm glad to see that you agree with me and that all these attempts to place all Hispaics in one basket, is just more Liberal moonbat propaganda.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.