Thread: Neighborhood Watch trial to move venue?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Neighborhood Watch trial to move venue?

A Baltimore judge is expected to hear arguments on a motion to move the trial of two brothers accused of beating a black teenager while patrolling for a Jewish neighborhood watch after the case drew comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case.

Eliyahu and Avi Werdesheim are set to return to court Tuesday, a day after their trial, which had been postponed six times, was set to begin.

Their attorneys say recent stories comparing the case to the high-profile one in Florida will make finding unbiased jurors more difficult.

The Werdesheims are accused of beating a 15-year-old boy in 2010. According to charging documents, they pulled up next to the teen, then one threw the teen to the ground and the other hit him in the head with a radio.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_1...d-watch-trial/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

:lol:

3. #3 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    :lol:
    Webb demonstrates why he is the true ultimate conservative again.

Please, post more.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Here you go....

Alleged Werdesheim victim asks to drop charges

Teen said he didn't want to testify

After a morning of reluctant, mumbled testimony, 16-year-old Corey Ausby stood in court Wednesday afternoon and spoke clearly for the first time, announcing that he wanted to drop the criminal charges against Avi and Eliyahu Werdesheim, the college students on trial for allegedly assaulting him while acting on behalf of a Jewish neighborhood watch group.

"I been wanting to drop the charges all the time, I didn't even want to go through [this]. I feel like I was being pressured," said Ausby, who took the stand that morning with tear tracks staining his face. "In my heart, I didn't want to testify."

But Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Pamela White, who's overseeing the nonjury trial, told Ausby he didn't have a say in the matter. "It was not your decision whether to bring charges against the defendants, it's the state's decision," she said.

Ausby's outburst was one of several emotional eruptions in court Wednesday, following opening statements in the high-profile case, which has highlighted tensions between some black and Jewish residents in the Park Heights area of Northwest Baltimore. It has also drawn comparisons nationwide to the recent killing of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager who was fatally shot down by a Hispanic resident while walking through the man's gated Florida community. Ausby is black, while the Werdesheims are white.

Two men, one of them Ausby's grandfather, were ejected from the packed courtroom for contemptuous behavior, and the judge sternly admonished onlookers to keep "absolute silence and no more body language by anyone."

Ausby's revelation seemed to shake the state's case. The defendant brothers scrawled notes furiously on legal pads and gave each other purposeful looks while prosecutor Kevin Wiggins tried to salvage testimony from his star witness. He asked the judge to order Ausby's participation and drew two more responses from the teen before all cooperation ceased.

Wiggins asked Ausby if he had lied earlier when he told police two Jewish men threw him to the ground on Nov. 19, 2010, and beat him with a hand-held radio, and Ausby replied, "No." And when asked why he didn't want to testify, the young man said he "shouldn't have called police" in the first place, "I didn't want to."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,3834537.story

Looks like the case is falling apart.